Updated commit count/targets

Is Thompson coming in as a football recruit?

Not sure the rules but can't we have him as a baseball guy and then if he plays it switches to a football schollie?

Bourque, RB from LA, is definitely on the radar.

Once Thompson steps on the football field, his scholarship, becomes a football scholarship, no matter what he comes in as.

Advertisement
just posted this in Larry's thread, very rudimentary list:

Lets make a list of who's left:
(using scout database)

Brodie OL from NJ
Bourque RB from LA
Josh Garnett OG from WA
Eddie Goldman DT from DC
PJ Williams S from FLA
Willie Bailey S from FLA

anyone else?

Would be a tremedous close

I believe the numbers are 35/31/25/6

Number well sign 35
Number we can actually take 31
Number counter toward last year 6
Number toward 2012 25

Obviously that means 4 kids will either not get in or have to gray shirt.

I see:

Bourque
a TE we've never heard of
an OL we've never heard of
we flip one of Willie Bailey or PJ Williams
that WR (forget his name....Miller or something) because we lose Waters

Advertisement
I think we sign 34, 31 get in, AJL and one other surprise about grades, one grayshirt (maybe Hollifield)

Not sure the rules but can't we have him as a baseball guy and then if he plays it switches to a football schollie?

Once Thompson steps on the football field, his scholarship, becomes a football scholarship, no matter what he comes in as.

I stated that in my post. I don't think it applies to practice does it?

Advertisement

practice makes it count.

Interesting, was almost sure it was just games. Good to know. Might be a moot point since he might be a high baseball draft pick.

I hope we have room for Charlie Miller and Renfro.

Love the Lockhart switch. I was bummed when I heard he had re-committed to Vagtech. Pumped today when I heard he switched over to us.

These are the type of hard nosed, athletic, and fast kids that made Miami great not all of these premadonas and candy asses that we've been landing for a better part of a decade now.

Interesting, was almost sure it was just games. Good to know. Might be a moot point since he might be a high baseball draft pick.

I get the feeling we took him so that if his baseball career falls through he can be a Brandon Weeden or Chris Weinke. I think he'll end up going pro

Advertisement

practice makes it count.

Since he has been recruited to play football here, he has to take a football scholarship.

Remember we can matriculate 25 kids per year, plus whatever we can early enroll. That has been my understanding. Where schools like Bama have gotten a bit of a competitive advantage is twofold . . . not counting any $$ action . . . One they over sign and then have the ability to say whoops over the summer presumably and if no spot open up tell the kid sorry. Second, they may cut kids "so to speak" and then they have an extra spot open which (if Im not mistaken) works like an EE spot. They still can only matriculate 25, but if kid A is cut from the team now lets say, and one of their commits can enroll early then the effect is beneficial for the team. I hope that makes sense. I also hope that my understanding is current per ncaa rules. If ACE were here he could set the record straight.

So the question is, how many kids can we enroll early this year? 85 is the hard cap, but it seems like there is a lot of wiggle room as evidenced by what schools like Bama have done. I also wonder what Golden will do with some of the late signees he took this summer? Its a business. I have no problem with him telling a kid they dont have a future in Coral Gables save a quantum leap. But I also think he needs to be able to get a kid a place to play if they want to play, like Ga Southern. If he has to look at a place like Valdosta State for instance, well he wont last long since we should never have a kid on the team that belongs at a D2 school. I played at VSU, so I know! Additionally, I think he should suck it up if they want to stay at Miami for their education. Make them equipment managers or something. Again, he wont last long if he has 85 ships a year plus 5 ships for kids that wont transfer that are no longer playing football. Ofcourse I have no idea if that is even legal, but if a school wants to let a kid come for free, seems like they could. (as a student not an athlete) Ofcourse we dont ever hear of schools giving mom a scholarship to get little johnny!

Advertisement
I don't care if we cut 100 we can't take 35, we can take 25 for this year and 7 for last year (some say six) and that's it. Now if we take 35 some are going prep or coming in 2013. We don't get more than 25 in a year even if we have 85 cap space

I don't care if we cut 100 we can't take 35, we can take 25 for this year and 7 for last year (some say six) and that's it. Now if we take 35 some are going prep or coming in 2013. We don't get more than 25 in a year even if we have 85 cap space

So we can take 32 into school. I think we have 7 EE; Dewey, Crow, Kirby, Gunther, Lockhart, Gadbois, and I know there were a few others thinking about it.

35 sounds right because you know a few won't qualify, happens every year.

SigmaTel what happens if a kid transfers? That opens up space on the 85. Think we have to get an EE to replace a transfer.

Advertisement
Back