Update on running back recruiting

Advertisement
the traditional rule of thumb is that there is only one position where you MUST take one kid a year, and it better be the best kid you can find, and that's QB.

it used to be, that RB was a position that you alternated taking one and two a cycle, with teams that ran offenses where the TB position had 30 carries a game, two being the target more years than not.

now, in the modern game, the baseline is one TB per cycle, as offenses are less geared to the 30 carry model, it's one TB a cycle being the norm. (even the NFL has evolved to deemphasize the TB position, which is why you see the draft trends play out as they have the past 5+ years).

if there is an injury situation, or depth problem due to some other attrition, then you would take two. but today's typical roster will have min 4, but no more than 5. Travel squad will have no more than 3 TB's and it's not unheard of to have two, based on that week's game plan.

again, this are targets for roster management, not rules set in stone. but they have served well, and most coaches accept the guidelines, making adjustments as circumstances dictate.

as we knew travis was leaving early, we took two last year (5 star Lingard, and 4 star Cam). that's a load.

this year, as we know burns still is struggling with injury, we added Martin through the portal, and will have 5 star Chaney next spring.

that's two 5 stars and two 4 stars in the last two cycles, and it's not clear that any of them are starting next season ahead of DJ Dallas who is a really good football player. I call that stacking chips.

do we need to add one in addition to chaney? based on the above, no. but if we do, they better be a dead drop stud because i'd much rather see the scholly go to an OT, than a kid who will sit 4th on the depth chart for 3 years.

Endorsed.

funny, hickson landed the best RB in the state and one of the best in the country but now it's if he doesn't land so and so. us fans are funny smh
people say this **** all of the time, that a specific position coach landed so and so. hickson didn't land ****. chaney has been on our radar for years. he came to Miami for a thousand reasons nothing to do with hickson. hickson's presence or absence had ZERO consideration when Chaney committed.

Advertisement
RBs tend to leave early especially if they get feedback that they will most likely get drafted. Dallas has a kid on the way so he’s probably looking at this as his last year. If he has a productive season i think he’s gone.
Ahhhh, did not know he had a child on the way. Gotcha. Good feedback on the RB draft thought as well. Thanks bud.

At this point in the recruiting cycle with Chaney already in the fold Parrish needs to be slow-played while Miami take shots at higher targets on their board. If he commits somewhere doing this time then so be it. If the other slot is not filled later in the cycle then go hard after Parrish as well as any other RB prospects who ascended the ranks during their season. Parrish is being recruited by Miami exactly how he needs to right now in the cycle.

Very well said, now let the madness that makes up this thread continue. People think recruiting is as simple as a video game named after the sport was.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who should we go after now knowing we’re not likely getting Knighton? I was thinking Marvin Scott
Ivins said the staff is comfortable with just Chaney so they won’t reach. Makes sense since you get Martin next year also. You’ll have Davis, Lingard, Chaney, Martin, Burns if Dallas leaves early. I think that’s more than good. Staff will only take 1 more if he’s very good.

Advertisement
Ivins said the staff is comfortable with just Chaney so they won’t reach. Makes sense since you get Martin next year also. You’ll have Davis, Lingard, Chaney, Martin, Burns if Dallas leaves early. I think that’s more than good. Staff will only take 1 more if he’s very good.

id agree w this. we got the crown jewel and a transfer eligible for next year. only losing 1 back after this season too

Better sign two RBs this cycle because Lingard is moving to LB (according to Larry Bluestein).
I respect Larry and what he does but he was tripping when he said I think Lingard should switch to linebacker because how loaded we are at rb. He may be the most talented one on the current roster lol

I respect Larry and what he does but he was tripping when he said I think Lingard should switch to linebacker because how loaded we are at rb. He may be the most talented one on the current roster lol

Agree, that man is senile.

Advertisement
Back