Update on Adrian Colbert

Dude is a Cane through and through, one of my favorites of all-time.

Find me another 1-yr transfer who has not only bought-in and performed well on the field, but done all he can to leave the program in a better place than he found it.

I wish him a healthy dose of NFL paychecks, followed by an illustrious coaching career as a member of the UM staff.

Not a transfer exactly, but 1 year player, Jimmy Graham, did a lot more for the U than Adrian.

Apples and oranges. Jimmy Graham put in the time as a basketball player for the U. He was here the whole time. I don't think they're comparable at all. Jimmy was a four year player for us, playing his last year as a football player

Advertisement
Dude is a Cane through and through, one of my favorites of all-time.

Find me another 1-yr transfer who has not only bought-in and performed well on the field, but done all he can to leave the program in a better place than he found it.

I wish him a healthy dose of NFL paychecks, followed by an illustrious coaching career as a member of the UM staff.

Not a transfer exactly, but 1 year player, Jimmy Graham, did a lot more for the U than Adrian.

Respectfully disagree. Jimmy was a basketball player who walked-on to the football team. He was donning green and orange his entire career. Production-wise, Jimmy also didn't really come into his own until the NFL. He had 17 catches is one year playing football at UM. Colbert had some injury issues, but when healthy made some spectacular plays relative to his position-- ND and WVU games come to mind. Off the field, he's been mentioned by 3 or 4 key recruits by name as someone helping them understand UM. Respect to Jimmy, but Colbert is rare.

This guy rode the bench in Charlie Strong's "vaunted defense." Then transferred and became a star at CB in Diaz's.

I'm telling yall - Manny Diaz is one of the best college DCs in the game today.

That's a real head scratcher it. How a supposedly defensive "genius" like Strong would not make use of a talent like Colbert. Really makes you wonder if Strong's not a tad bit overrated.

The culture at UT is rotten from the top down. Unearned arrogance that permeates the entire athletic department. Expectation to land all the "5 star" kids and play them regardless of scheme fit while talented kids like this sit (speaking generally, not about Colbert's situation directly).

Yep. Lots of politics w players in Texas due to the power od certain HS.

Just goes to show no school does fanily like The U. Kid felt more love in one season down here than he did in 4 years at UT.

Probably our best one-year pickup that I can remember. Not just on the field, but even more in the way he helped off the field. Closing transfers/recruits, representing the program and the university.

This guy really developed a passion for the U in a short period of time.

Jimmy Graham was a nice one year pick up.

Charlie Strong is a dummy

Totally overrated coach

Colbert is the goods...I can just see him as part of the "Legion of Boom"

Advertisement
It's so important that kids make good decisions in the recruiting process.

How many kids like this go to a dead/dying program at the wrong time, for the wrong coach, get totally misused/mismanaged and end up nowhere when they clearly have the physical components that would allow for a potential NFL career?

Texas has been mismanaging physical talents like this for quite a long time now and it's really a shame. Kid comes here and immediately looks the part and contributes - looking like a star athlete at times. Yet, couldn't get on the field at UT for a defense that was absolute trash....

Comes here with a good coach but if he would of come here with Golden he would of been wasted as well.

Coach Colbertson is getting drafted in the 4th round or higher. Impeccable character. Great size. Toughness. Willing to put a hat on you. Runs like a jack rabbit being chased by a hungry Haitian. If Ladarius Gunter can start in the NFL this guy has a chance to be a star.

All this speculation is cute but Colbertson will be joining Artie Burns in the secondary of my Steelers. Done deal. His freakin' uncle is our GM. Kevin Colbertson. That's why he was in the Gables for the Miami Pro Day too. Not for Kaaya.

20170413_125442.jpg

[TWEET]847194048066605056[/TWEET]

Selfishly I don't want him drafted.

I want him in our program ASAP.

But he's gonna ball in the NFL, I have no doubt.

Selfishly I want him to go in the first round, then be on the all pro team every year and talk about how Miami helped train him up to that and gave him his chance when another school played favorites and put him behind inferior talent. Him balling in the NFL would help with him talking to future recruits far more than him being some grad assistant who never made it.
Well said. It's more what I was trying to get at but also not wanting him to leave the University.

Advertisement
All this speculation is cute but Colbertson will be joining Artie Burns in the secondary of my Steelers. Done deal. His freakin' uncle is our GM. Kevin Colbertson. That's why he was in the Gables for the Miami Pro Day too. Not for Kaaya.

View attachment 44267

Good catch, that's pretty cool. Still cant believe he was a ST player only at Texas. Just dumb, he will make a roster or at least a practice squad whether he gets drafted or not. Steelers or Seahawks would be a great fit

View attachment 44267

Good catch, that's pretty cool. Still cant believe he was a ST player only at Texas. Just dumb, he will make a roster or at least a practice squad whether he gets drafted or not. Steelers or Seahawks would be a great fit

Yep. Again with myth of Chuckie Weak as a defensive guru. I was only half-kidding about the Steelers too. We ALWAYS need secondary help and he's the kind of kid that they'd slobber over in an interview type setting. It's funny but one has to believe that Kevin Colbertson checked out our Colbertson for at least a few seconds longer subconsciously based on the shared surnames alone. Agree on Seattle being a good fit too.

One of my Favorites too. Hope he gets on a good team to develops him properly as I think he can be great

Advertisement
Advertisement
Selfishly I don't want him drafted.

I want him in our program ASAP.

But he's gonna ball in the NFL, I have no doubt.
Even selfishly, it's better off showing that a guy who was a castoff at Texas was developed by our staff in one year and ends up playing in the league.

I predicted him in the 7th round yesterday.
But everyone knows that 5th-7th rounders, are primarily about athleticism. Even if you haven't done anything in your career, you can get drafted in the late rounds if you have size and athleticism that can make you a prospect worth developing.
So I can see Colbert being a 6th round pick. he's 6'2" 205 which is prototypical size for a corner. He runs a sub 4.44 40 (right?). Anybody got his pro day results - Vert jump, Broad jump, bench, and most importantly the 3 cone drill?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back