Up Close with Manny Diaz.

Advertisement
I actually know who he is and he went to the U, but I also have to admit I’ve never actually watched him except maybe for a few seconds clip. Shame on me.

Part 2 certainly seems to indicate there is zero love loss with Diaz and Enos. My guess is the dislike is very strong between those two.
The dislike for Enox is strong for me too...

He was the worst OC in school history last year, worst than Pat Nix & 2018 Richt combined.

It still baffles my mind a lot of our fans don't seem to understand how awful he was, he doesn't catch nearly enough heat on this board as he should.

Advertisement

He was the worst OC in school history last year, worst than Pat Nix & 2018 Richt combined.

It still baffles my mind a lot of our fans don't seem to understand how awful he was, he doesn't catch nearly enough heat on this board as he should.
6466F149-E364-4F42-9022-15CC33A0DFA6.jpeg

Which is 1 of the reasons I’m so optimistic. He was historically bad and we was still a play or 2 away from winning a lot of games last year, and that’s with our kicking woes as well.

Swap out Dan for Lashlee(up tempo O with a proven play caller) add King(stats speak for themselves) and Jose(proven kicker) and I think we’re in for a big season. Not to mention all the other upgrades throughout the roster we’ve added through the portal and recruiting.

I get why people are skeptical but add all that up and if the D, at minimum, performs at the level we’ve seen since Manny has been here, there is zero reason that we shouldn’t win at least 10 and the Coastal.

I’ve been banging this drum since we hired Lash and picked up King, as have you, but the doubters still don’t see it. They will in a few months.

Last edited:
Advertisement
From today's part III:

* Diaz has invited former players to talk with the team, and this past Friday it was former Cane RB great Clinton Portis addressing the offensive players.

“He talked about what occurred in the late ‘90s, about `Flipping the locker room,’” Diaz said. “What he meant was there was a process where certain guys graduated out of the program, and as some younger guys turned into older guys that gave them the ability to really take the team over. And it doesn’t mean they didn’t have production when they were young, it was just a nucleus of guys as ’98 turned into ’99 turned into 2000 that had the ability to take over things.”

Part III of Up Close with Manny: Tackles how the team will prepare for the season.

When Miami returns to actual practice … estimated to be anytime from the middle of July to the beginning of August depending on what the NCAA decides … there will be major question marks to answer.
Perhaps the biggest are whether Rhett Lashlee can fully implement his offense in a short period of time to the point where players can run it to perfection … and if there needs to be a set depth chart almost from Day 1 of fall drills so the team can really gel as starting units.
Coach Manny Diaz tackled both those questions for CaneSport.
Of implementing the offense in a small window of time, he said “We’ve been able to have football meetings, but there is nothing like getting out on the grass and doing it. It is a concern, would be a bigger concern if we were going from a simple offense to a very complex offense. In reality we’re going from something that was quite complex to something that is much more simple. It would certainly be, if we were as young on offense as we were a year ago, a concern. We started two true freshmen on the offensive line a year ago, now the entire offensive line room is basically back from a year ago. By all accounts your top three wide receivers are upperclassmen, your top two tight ends are upperclassmen. These guys were all sophomores a year ago, so I think having an older team that `gets it’ - your returning running backs are older guys and you have some talented freshmen behind them, all across the offense. I think that maturity, even at quarterback whether it ends up being D’Eriq (King) - we’re older at quarterback than we were a year ago, more experienced than a year ago. All of that factors in.
“Our offensive staff is doing a nice job preparing these guys.”

You’re going to have a two-week run of practices where it’s going to be, I mean, as intense of a competition. With as many jobs as we have open it’s going to be awesome.
— Manny Diaz

Regarding the depth chart issue, Diaz said the first couple of weeks will be about competition and finalizing the first- and second-teamers.
“Broadly, across the football team, we’ve already told our players to get ready,” he said. “Those two weeks in August will maybe be as great a competition (as the team’s had). Because we lost four weeks of spring practice where guys make moves. You basically condense four weeks of spring practice and two weeks of fall camp when you add, by the way, seven or eight guys that weren’t on the roster (arriving as freshmen) not to mention the injured guys that had post-bowl game surgeries. You’re going to have a two-week run of practices where it’s going to be, I mean, as intense of a competition. With as many jobs as we have open it’s going to be awesome. Then you set a depth chart understanding that `What I want is depth.’ With us playing more snaps, we need more wide receivers that can get in a game, you know? We may need to play with more than five offensive linemen. We for certain have to go two-deep on defense. It’s going to be a battle. That to me is the story of August: Who can bring it every day? Because that’s been a story for us over the last few years is can we understand the challenge of being the same team every week and not having these where you look like a million bucks one week and horrendous the next week. That comes down to habits that we’ll see in August.”
* Diaz has invited former players to talk with the team, and this past Friday it was former Cane RB great Clinton Portis addressing the offensive players.
“He talked about what occurred in the late ‘90s, about `Flipping the locker room,’” Diaz said. “What he meant was there was a process where certain guys graduated out of the program, and as some younger guys turned into older guys that gave them the ability to really take the team over. And it doesn’t mean they didn’t have production when they were young, it was just a nucleus of guys as ’98 turned into ’99 turned into 2000 that had the ability to take over things.”

Low blow going Pat Nix.

Advertisement
Part IV: Manny talks about the depth on defense

It’s an interesting conundrum for a defense-minded head coach. Manny Diaz, a former defensive coordinator, will watch Rhett Lashlee’s hurry-up spread offense go to work this season.
But…
What if a defense that doesn’t have experienced depth at linebacker, cornerback and defensive tackle tires?
What if the offense has some three-and-outs and the D is left on the field for long periods of time, yielding chunks of yards and points?
Would Diaz have Lashlee slow down the pace in those scenarios or is this going to be a full-speed-ahead offense other than when trying to run out the clock on a half or a game?
“You have a chance to change tempos,” Diaz told CaneSport, adding that the goal is a depth chart that will allow the offense to go as fast as it wants for as long as it wants.
“We for certain have to go two-deep on defense,” he says.

We for certain have to go two-deep on defense.
— Manny Diaz

Diaz also says the perception that the linebacker room doesn't have a lot of depth is incorrect. Yes, the unit lost Shaq Quarterman and Mike Pinckney, but Diaz says “Linebacker in terms of depth, this is by far the best depth we’ve had at linebacker since I’ve been here. Not in terms of snap counts, but in terms of amount of guys that we think are competitive guys that can go into a game, you know?”
Diaz also singled out Bradley Jennings, saying “He was going to play a tremendous role on the team last year (before he was injured), was having a great spring.”
“Everyone knows about Zach (McCloud),” Diaz added. “Everyone talks about linebacker recruiting, but Sam (Brooks) and Avery (Huff), I don’t know where we can find two better South Florida linebacker prospects than those two guys.”
Diaz also said that McCloud could play MLB or Will, and the same goes for Brooks and Huff.

I never understood why y’all thought LB depth is an issue.. we only play 2 and we have a lot of dudes who can get snaps...

You know it's nauseating listening to the same coach speak over and over again for 15 straight years with ZERO results behind it. I really hope that changes because listening to this same **** over and over is getting real old.

Advertisement
I imagine a situation where two guys have “smartest guy in the room syndrome” and one of them isn’t whatsoever and the other guy is learning he’s not as much as he thinks he is yet can be very sobering.
I don’t get that from Manny. He’s definitely more of a cerebral guy but he’s shown that he can change. I think he wants to see what his defense will do with an offense that can sustain drives, put up points in the RZ and convert 3rd downs. It simply hasn’t happened since he’s been here yet every year the defense has performed. I’d be willing to bet that if the defense failed this year, he’d make changes.
Now Enos on the other hand is clearly a world class prick who’s inability to adapt to his personnel makes him the “smartest in the room” guy no doubt.

11:18 4th quarter...4th and 1 from the gators 16 yard line...Manny makes the perfect call...fake FG catches the gators completely off guard...Bubba Baxa takes the ball to the 1 yard line...setting up a potential TD to put us up by two scores, which more than likely would have put the game out of reach...but the refs call holding on Mallory...three plays later Baxa misses a 27 yd FG...gators get the ball, score the final points of the ballgame...

That BULL**** holding call on Mallory cost us the game...and the season. I firmly believe that had we won that game, the 2019 season would've taken a totally different trajectory.

I have faith in Manny because that call proved that he knows what it takes to win.

Advertisement
Back