Up Close with Manny Diaz.

ajone228

Recruit
CaneSport has a 4 part series for their interview with Manny Diaz. I’ll update as more series are released but here are the 1st two.

Part 1:

Coach Manny Diaz says “in the ballpark” of 65 players are currently on campus doing outdoor work, with the goal of June 15 to be able to safely move into the Indoor Practice Facility / weight room.
For now Diaz says players are treating Greentree Practice Field as “a park,” where they can do voluntary workouts. And no, the normal 7-on-7 or 1-on-1’s are not part of the equation due to the coronavirus outbreak.
“It’s curtailed because that would get our numbers too big on the field, too much close contact,” Diaz told CaneSport. “They’ve been mainly going out in position groups or working on their own just running sprints.”
There is route running and throwing, and whatever other exercises or drills the student-athletes want to do without lining up next to or across from one another.
“If we get approval we’ll work the guys back in here (to the building) on the 15th, Diaz said. “That would come after a series of testing, screening, all those kind of things.”
Diaz stressed that workouts now … and starting the 15th … will be voluntary. But it’s expected the vast majority of the team will participate.
“It’s the time of year where you can have strength coach supervision, trainers there,” Diaz said. “But it’s not in a mandatory setting.”
The Alabama program recently dealt with players testing positive for COVID-19, and while Diaz says HIPAA laws would prevent him from revealing any results of testing on his team, a plan is in place if there is a positive test.
“We will roll that out, and that will come from the medical experts on campus,” Diaz said.

Diaz says he’s stressed patience to his players who are itching to get back to some sense of normalcy.
“This has been a series of steps, no different than a restaurant being closed except for delivery and then opening 25 percent, then 50 percent,” Diaz said. “We’ve all acknowledged that there would be a gradual progression coming out of the shelter-in-place, and we’re no different than that whether that’s the groups we work out in, our access to the facility and all of that. It’s all going to come in steps, and the reason is we’ve seen what’s changed in just a month’s time. We don’t know what things will look like July 1, it might be much, much better. You take little steps so you can reassess what the plan is.”
Eventually, the hope is, those little steps will lead up to the season beginning as scheduled.
But what happens if, say, an opponent has a player test positive the week before a game? That team would likely go into a 10-day lockdown without practices and then need to get back in game-ready shape.
That could mean a three-game window of missed time with a single positive test.
Diaz’s take on that potential scenario?
“We certainly have thought about it - it is far away, and we don’t know where we’ll be at,” Diaz said. “We’ll know by the fall. That’s one thing all the leagues are working out is what will be the uniform (rule). We have all these conferences and everyone has to have a similar plan on what the rules of engagement are every week for competition.

Advertisement
Part 2: The Humbling of last season

Things were falling apart at the end of last season, with fans calling for major shakeups from the athletic director on down after losses to FIU, Duke and Louisiana-Tech to end the season.
In one of the more remarkably quick turnarounds of public opinion at UM, coach Manny Diaz weathered the storm by bringing in offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who has a proven record of success running an up-tempo spread attack, adding Cane legend Ed Reed in a Chief of Staff role, and landing key transfers that can have major roles in QB D’Eriq King, DE Quincy Roche and PK Jose Borregales.
But that doesn’t mean the pain from the end of last season doesn’t linger for Diaz.
“In essence there was a breach in trust for the team and it played out in real time in Marlins Park (vs. FIU),” Diaz told CaneSport. “Once that rift is there, it’s just really difficult to get it back. I thought the team played with great effort at Duke, when we had the game in control, the middle part of the game, we couldn’t take advantage when we had a first-and-goal and then were decimated with injuries on the offensive line. The bowl game I thought our defensive kids played their hearts out, Shaq (Quarterman) was unbelievable that whole month, played great in that game. We basically gave up seven points in 59 minutes. Just where we were offensively, it just cratered.
"It happened because it had to happen. If it hadn’t happened, I don’t know if we would be where we are today. As painful as it was for everyone to bear witness, I assure you it was 10 times more painful for me to go through. But it has also brought us to this place.”
As he looks back, does Diaz have an appreciation for just how drastically things have changed with UM’s outlook … viewing it from the outside … from that final bowl game last season to now?
“Well, we’ll find out what we accomplished, I don’t want to sit here and act like we’ll get anything done (before the season actually starts)," Diaz said. "What I was proud of is that people on the outside recognize that there was something here, and what I mean is if it was a disaster and leaking oil and unsalvageable, Rhett Lashlee had a lot of places he could have gone. D’Eriq King had a lot of places that wanted him, Quincy Roche the same thing just to use those three as an example. We actually asked them to come and take a look under the hood, it wasn’t that they just came because of the brochure and the palm trees. To have D’Eriq come, I wanted him to come watch our guys work out, have him see Dee Wiggins and Mike Harley and Mark Pope work and see guys that are in for the culture and doing the right thing and desperately want to win and just need a little bit better leadership at some positions that are really, really important for that. If they’d come and seen a bunch of guys that weren’t about the right things I think they’d have gone somewhere else. I’m as proud of that as anything else. Even the 2020 classsticking with their commits and coming in December. There were a lot of things happening at that time that didn’t make sense given the product on the field, which meant that there had to be something off the field which even for me, as angry and agitated as I was, I had to look at the part of it that was right and just do my job to fix the things that weren’t right.”

As angry and agitated as I was, I had to look at the part of it that was right and just do my job to fix the things that weren’t right.
— Manny Diaz, on his mindset coming off the end of last season

The cure to the ills of a year ago?
Diaz has one word for it: “Competition.”
“That’s a little bit what we lacked, where we lost our edge last year defensively,” Diaz said. “We had guys who were a little too comfortable in their position, had status and some guys we expected leadership from we got complacency from. That falls on me first and foremost, but across the board you have an entire defense where everybody has no excuse not to be hungry (this season).
“Greg Rousseau gets all the accolades, but Greg has a lot better play in him than what he put forth a year ago and he knows he has a room full of defensive ends that want to take his job away from him. Since the 2016 season I think (this is the best level of competition). There are guys that are older guys that are hungry because they’re not so established yet.”
In the “old” days the Canes would battle so hard in practices there were near-daily dust-ups. Players pointed to practices being so intense that the games were easy.
“Look, we’re not there yet, but we’re getting closer to that,” Diaz said. “That’s from stacking recruiting classes on top of recruiting classes.”
Diaz also pins his hopes on the Class of 2018, which has 13 projected starters as third-year players this season … to really take the reins and lead the program.
“We have not been able the last two years, the Class of 2016 and 2017, due to various attrition, unfortunate injuries to Ahmmon Richard, Malek Young, De’Andre Wilder, for whatever reason these classes have not stayed together,” Diaz said. “This junior class is pretty strong, a strong nucleus of guys that stuck together in recruiting. So they’ve seen it, have seen some of the ways that the upperclassmen of our team - and I’m saying what they’ve told me - they’ve seen the team get let down by guys when they get to their junior year, take their foot off the gas. Ultimately that’s the key, that it takes a class that decides `We’re going to be a different class than the year before.’ Is this the class? I think they can at least verbalize things they have seen that have not worked in the past.”
We also asked Diaz if there’s a time frame he has in mind for when UM will be in playoff contention … or at least facing off in the ACC title game.
Might that be closer than some people suspect?
“What I do is look at comparisons," Diaz said. "If you look at who is at a championship level now, what was their path of getting there and how many years did it take. It’s not complicated. You have to make some increases in your recruiting. If you look at Clemson, Dabo (Swinney), it took him three years to really get recruiting up and running at Clemson. They’ve done a great job thereon. And there’s other programs you can see. You have to be able to stack competitive recruiting classes on top of other competitive recruiting classes, you know? You have to make sure you have the mix of the right coaches, that’s all part of it. Get the right mix of guys in there with the staff. And those things generally speaking don’t happen overnight. If it was easy to do everyone would do it. And it wasn’t even easy to do when it’s been done at Miami through the years.
“Part of it is to recognize the difficulty in building a team that’s going to compete at championship level year in and year out, especially coming from where the program has been. It’s okay to admit that, doesn’t mean we don’t have an expectation every year to be in the mix of competing for ACC championships. But it’s okay to admit that from where we are, to understand what it takes to get the program where we want it.”

I was with following along pretty good until the very end. Been nice to hear coach simply say "We're going to take it one practice, and one game at a time, and come December, we'll see where we stand". Looking too far ahead can cause you to overlook what's right in front of you.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
didn't he sell his soul to the Devil for that?
Not the same one, but he did do that too. I forgot the backdrop to the one with Roy interviewing him. Might be where Peggy cold **** some mugger and Al got embarrassed being protected by his wife. The satan was classic also. Football game in ****.

Advertisement
And people thought i was being ridiculous yesterday.

But what happens if, say, an opponent has a player test positive the week before a game? That team would likely go into a 10-day lockdown without practices and then need to get back in game-ready shape.
That could mean a three-game window of missed time with a single positive test.

Part 2 certainly seems to indicate there is zero love loss with Diaz and Enos. My guess is the dislike is very strong between those two.
I imagine a situation where two guys have “smartest guy in the room syndrome” and one of them isn’t whatsoever and the other guy is learning he’s not as much as he thinks he is yet can be very sobering.

No rainchecks. No refunds.
2hp2fh.jpg

Advertisement
Back