Unsung player in the back 7 through 2 games

Love em...he's just too slow. I watched Hawkins run away from him like he was standing still . I'm tired of seeing backs get to the outside on us , they never used to do that to a Miami defense . Bring on Keontra

Advertisement
When I’m watching it seems like just about every bad play is friersons fault. Louisville’s first scoring drive was entirely his fault on multiple plays. They got keontra in immediately after that first drive

Love em...he's just too slow. I watched Hawkins run away from him like he was standing still . I'm tired of seeing backs get to the outside on us , they never used to do that to a Miami defense . Bring on Keontra
Angles!! There were several cane defenders in position to make tackles and didn't because of the angle they took. Bolden on the other hand has a knack for being sound in that dept. The zone block/run scheme caused a lot of this as well. The defense played better for the most part than the score and stats showed,

We know bubba bolden, hall and blades have Each had their moments or games playing really well this year but I want To give a shoutout to Gilbert Frierson, he’s been making plays these last 2 games in the backfield and just overall tackling pretty well. I like His skill set and he’s always active. Hope to see Frierson continue to make plays
Frierson strikes me as the type of player who has a good skill set that isn't being used correctly. The thing is I'm not sure where he fits exactly. Watching him I always think he could be effective somewhere just not sure where that is. I'm not sure he's a good scheme fit for what we do.

Advertisement
Frankly I haven't seen enough out of Frierson or Smith. I still wonder if we wouldn‘t be better off running a traditional 4-3 if we have the personnel to do it. Like a Darrin Smith or DJ Williams who could legit cover the slot.
we need that 3rd linebacker installed back into the line up or any team with any type of running game will be successful, especially when we play the upper echelon teams n our conference and country.....no reason why we can't recruit a athletic enough lb who can do both stop the run and be adequate in pass coverage.

we need that 3rd linebacker installed back into the line up or any team with any type of running game will be successful, especially when we play the upper echelon teams n our conference and country.....no reason why we can't recruit a athletic enough lb who can do both stop the run and be adequate in pass coverage.
We have recruited one. His name is Chase Smith. I agree with your point however. Any good team with a good running game will shred this defense the way it is right now. That's one of several adjustments that need to be made defensively.

We used three linebackers in 2016-2017. We got exposed in pass coverage. I don’t want to see a linebacker getting abused in space by a slot receiver over and over. It was bad enough trying to watch Bolden cover Atwell one on one. You could play a 4-3 twenty years ago because most teams still used pro set personnel. Your linebacker was asked to cover a full back or tight end. You need to be more flexible against modern offenses. Frierson is decent in coverage but almost a non factor against the run. In hindsight, they should have left him at corner. Smith is the better in box defender. When James Williams and Chase Smith show up next year, things are going to get interesting.

Advertisement
I remember being so excited about Frierson. He doesn't even look like the same kid. And I'm not even talking about his lack of plays. I mean his build isn't even what I projected.

Frierson strikes me as the type of player who has a good skill set that isn't being used correctly. The thing is I'm not sure where he fits exactly. Watching him I always think he could be effective somewhere just not sure where that is. I'm not sure he's a good scheme fit for what we do.
High safety.. he might have done a better job covering tutu in those situations where bubba got stuck on him as well

He hasn't been bad, but he definitely hasn't made the same impact that Finley did.
Finley had the benefit of being a rJr, low expectations, and a much better front 7 with him. Frierson will get good with experience.

Advertisement
We used three linebackers in 2016-2017. We got exposed in pass coverage. I don’t want to see a linebacker getting abused in space by a slot receiver over and over. It was bad enough trying to watch Bolden cover Atwell one on one. You could play a 4-3 twenty years ago because most teams still used pro set personnel. Your linebacker was asked to cover a full back or tight end. You need to be more flexible against modern offenses. Frierson is decent in coverage but almost a non factor against the run. In hindsight, they should have left him at corner. Smith is the better in box defender. When James Williams and Chase Smith show up next year, things are going to get interesting.
You may be right that it’s more a personnel issue than scheme issue.
but from a scheme standpoint the Striker is supposed to be a hybrid and Frierson and Smith are really just safeties playing the Striker.
‘Chase Smith and James Williams May just make us forget all about schemes as those 2 can cover ground and be physical. We haven’t really had that type of player since ______. I won’t even type his initials but you all know who I mean.

Advertisement
Again, Frierson is a quickly establishing himself as one of our top players on defense this year. Not a lot of people showed up Clemson but Frierson did... making tackles in the backfield and a great breakup down the field too. He’s been very impressive....

Again, Frierson is a quickly establishing himself as one of our top players on defense this year. Not a lot of people showed up Clemson but Frierson did... making tackles in the backfield and a great breakup down the field too. He’s been very impressive....
Some nice pass breakup's tonight...

If you mean his dancing after he makes an occasional play yea he’s ok...I’d rather him just play better defense without it when the defense is getting their sHT pushed in but that’s just me..

Advertisement
Back