Unsportsmanlike penalty at the end of the game

citizenkane

Redshirt Freshman
Look I know that the NCAA wants to clamp down on these types of penalties but I do have a big beef about this.

On that last play Rosier throws a perfect pass and Langham makes the perfect play to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against a bitter rival that you've lost to for 7 straight years with SIX seconds left on the clock. The players on the field run to congratulate Langham and are jumping up and down with joy which is perfectly understandable.

From the TV coverage I never saw a late hit or any UM player talking to or taunting an FSU player. I do not know what the NCAA and the refs want a team to do in this situation. Should they all get up and cry or put a towel over their heads.

I mean this is still a game and the raw emotions of an instant classic are hard to hold back. It was true genuine joy on one team and shocked faces on the other but that is the nature of sports and that is why fans show up to these big games. As long as it wasn't over the top the refs should understand the situation and just keep the flag in their pockets.

Advertisement
It was for everyone running on to the field. They always call that. Didn't matter. Could have if there was more time on the clock.

Would have been crazy if they would have marked Langham out before the goal line and enforced the penalty. I’m not sure with 6 seconds left Richt takes a shot at the end zone and we are left with our hearts in our throats while Badgely lines up for a chippy from about where last year’s debacle happened. Nice that it all worked out, but I half-expected the previous scenario.

Also, anyone have any strategy points on why we didn’t kick the ensuing kickoff 30 rows out of bounds and in the stands?

Advertisement
Would have been crazy if they would have marked Langham out before the goal line and enforced the penalty. I’m not sure with 6 seconds left Richt takes a shot at the end zone and we are left with our hearts in our throats while Badgely lines up for a chippy from about where last year’s debacle happened. Nice that it all worked out, but I half-expected the previous scenario.

Also, anyone have any strategy points on why we didn’t kick the ensuing kickoff 30 rows out of bounds and in the stands?

Because FSU would have had the ball on the 50 with a chance for a hail marry. It would have been from the 50 since we kicked off from out 20 due to the penalty.

If we kick the ball out of bounds, that leaves time on the clock for them to run a play.

This type of penalty when no one is taunting the opponent is ridiculous. Legislating the joy out of football is a goddam disgrace. That 15 yards could have been deadly.

Penalty took the kick off back to the 20

Advertisement
I think one of the coaches ran to the goal line. Might have been Dugans. Will have to relook at the tape. It's a stupid rule. One of the Miami rules unfortunately. At least nobody popped a helmet. Look, in a rivalry game scoring with 6 seconds to go is going to clear benches. These are still kids and even the coaches wanted this one badly. You can coach it but it is hard to control your sideline on such a momentous play. Series memorable in a series with unbelievable great moments.

I don't understand why FSU didn't have some razzle dazzle multi-lateral Duke-esque kickoff return strategy. Dude took the kick and ran into a crowd.

Did not realize that a kick out of bounds in that scenario meant they got it at the 50. Is that right? That would give them a double-dip on the penalty: kick from the 20 AND the spot of the line of scrimmage based on a kick out of bounds. Makes sense if you’re right.

This type of penalty when no one is taunting the opponent is ridiculous. Legislating the joy out of football is a goddam disgrace. That 15 yards could have been deadly.

This is exactly the point. These players aren't professionals yet they are expected to act like robots. Taking the fun out of the game is ruining it. Just look at the basketball situation. The NCAA needs a lot of change.

Advertisement
Best.celebration penalty in Canes history. Forced them.to run clock out on kick off. Much better than them having time for a hail.mary and we get an interference call..

Did not realize that a kick out of bounds in that scenario meant they got it at the 50. Is that right? That would give them a double-dip on the penalty: kick from the 20 AND the spot of the line of scrimmage based on a kick out of bounds. Makes sense if you’re right.

A kick out of bounds penalty is 30 yards from the kick. That would put it at the 50.

So we celebrate because you told us we scored and you penalize us, then you tell us we didn't score but still penalize us because you told us we did. If they had taken the TD away they should also take the penalty away because had they not made the mistake we wouldn't have been penalized.

I know it wouldn't have happened, but it should have. I was honestly not even worried if they took the TD away because I mistakenly though we'd have the ball at the half yard line.

Advertisement
If they overturned that TD. Where would we have had to kick the field goal from?

This is what humans do when they're excited. Who started this unsportsmanship ****?!

Advertisement
Back