Unpopular Opinion: Best Players

The ENTIRE SECONDARY for the #1 team in the nation is from South Florida...
Not to mention arguably 3/5 of the most explosive WR's in the country...

And then this...
soflo.jpg

Surtain is a top-10 pick and would've started here from day one.
Bonitto would be one of our best players.
And Weaver leads the country in QB pressures and is likely going to be a 1st round pick. (and was a 3-star coming out of HS)
If you wouldn't take Weaver and Bonitto over Phillips and Roche then you rode the little bus to school. And I'd take Surtain over anybody we have on defense.

"bUt OuR bEsT pLaYeRs ArEn'T eVen FrOm SoUtH fLoRiDuH."

No, but everybody else's are!

Last edited:
Advertisement
You lost me with the McCloud comment.
My Mallory comment should have brought you right back, since I was singing his praises LAST summer when many on this board were still doubting.

I'm also the m'fer that was YELLING for more two TE sets...which we FINALLY got last game.

Been saying for years, we don't get the pick of the litter from the backyard- the other teams do. We get the lesser sought guys left over for a variety of reasons.

But put a few years together like this one, show we can win and the culture is changing, and that too will change. In the mean time, look around the rest of S Fl, loads of great athletes.

Advertisement
My Mallory comment should have brought you right back, since I was singing his praises LAST summer when many on this board were still doubting.

I'm also the m'fer that was YELLING for more two TE sets...which we FINALLY got last game.

You're also the guy who started and constantly bumped threads that openly called on everyone to root against us winning.

So your chest thumping about anything rings embarrasingly hollow you fair weather, don't know **** ******* mope.

Last edited:
Been saying for years, we don't get the pick of the litter from the backyard- the other teams do. We get the lesser sought guys left over for a variety of reasons.

But put a few years together like this one, show we can win and the culture is changing, and that too will change. In the mean time, look around the rest of S Fl, loads of great athletes.

Get the best 25 players you can get regardless of where they are, who live and breathe orange and green. Being from S Fla a bonus not a requirement.

And then this...
View attachment 137324

And Weaver leads the country in QB pressures and is likely going to be a 1st round pick. (and was a 3-star coming out of HS)
If you wouldn't take Weaver and Bonitto over Phillips and Roche then you rode the little bus to school. And I'd take Surtain over anybody we have on defense.

My recollection is we could have had Bonitto but the staff didn't want him. Is that right?

Advertisement

And then this...
View attachment 137324

Yup.
The reason our best players are from outside South Florida is because we have not been particularly successful at recruiting the best players from South Florida (not because South Florida doesn't produce great athletes).

But the good news is the Class of 2021 seems to be bucking the trend. My guess is when we discuss this topic again in 2023, that top 5 list of UM players is going to have a **** of a lot more South Florida kids in the discussion.

Last edited:
,The talk on recruiting boards, if my memory serves me, was he didn't have the lateral mobility needed to play LB at UM. Pretty sure some folks said things like 'too stiff.' Don't think we saw him as a DE.

I always thought he was more than athletic enough.

The knock I remember hearing is that he was a basketball player who didn’t love football. But every time I watched him, the guy made plays. He wasn’t just a project.

Hedley & Borregales. Boy are we gonna miss them. I never wanna go back to having a ****** kicker & punter again.

Advertisement
I always thought he was more than athletic enough.

The knock I remember hearing is that he was a basketball player who didn’t love football. But every time I watched him, the guy made plays. He wasn’t just a project.
And he’s a **** of a hooper. He was my brothers roommate.

Advertisement
Back