Univ. of Cincinnati Shuts down Men's Soccer Program

Some college correct. But if your 18-24 years old and your playing college you’re a borderline mls player. The chances of having a career as a professional socce player is slim. The real good players that will make enough money to not have to worry about rent are scooped up before they even get to college.
Bit that’s not the problem. The problem is ignoring a huge chunk of the American youth and the salary discrepancy basically erases the best athletes in this country from even considering soccer as an option. And the salary factor also hurts sprinting imo.

it’s a mentality issue as well from high school students. How many high school kids did you know that would’ve even considered playing soccer? It keeps growing and growing in popularity, even televised soccer, but the people that want to flex in high school aren’t going to be playing soccer

Advertisement
At 99.9% of programs in the country, football makes money, men’s basketball about breaks even, and every other sport loses money.

Interesting.....I would've thought that basketball made money and football would break even (other than at a most southern schools). But I agree that every other sport loses money.

Some college correct. But if your 18-24 years old and your playing college you’re a borderline mls player. The chances of having a career as a professional socce player is slim. The real good players that will make enough money to not have to worry about rent are scooped up before they even get to college.
Bit that’s not the problem. The problem is ignoring a huge chunk of the American youth and the salary discrepancy basically erases the best athletes in this country from even considering soccer as an option. And the salary factor also hurts sprinting imo.

Who is scooping up these small amount of players? Look at the MLS draft yea they all went to college. I‘m very well versed.

Interesting.....I would've thought that basketball made money and football would break even (other than at a most southern schools). But I agree that every other sport loses money.

No, sir. Not even close, actually. Football generates ALL the revenue needed to run the entire athletic department at every school that plays football.

It's the reason teams like FAMU play teams like Miami. Miami pays them to play those games, oftentimes $1M+, and that money keeps the entire department afloat (with other revenue they generate themselves, of course).

But the big schools get TV money. That's how they pay their bills. Football is king and it's so far of a lead that the rest of the sports aren't even on the map. It's the reason that football MUST be played in some capacity in the 2020-2021 academic year. I've heard many athletic directors say that if they don't get any money from football in the next academic year, they'll have to cancel their entire athletic department. As in, no more sports, period.

The American pass time, baseball, is struggling with attendance, interest and inclusion. Soccer as a sport lacks the excitement Americans like plus it's a bunch of semi athletic suburban chumps. Probably less than 1% of this board has even gone to a soccer game in the last 5 years.

Advertisement
Soccer isn’t popular because we have football, baseball, basketball etc. it’s not a sport that started here.

As far as soccer kids not being athletic well that’s a joke. Tons of athletes on the pitch.

The American pass time, baseball, is struggling with attendance, interest and inclusion. Soccer as a sport lacks the excitement Americans like plus it's a bunch of semi athletic suburban chumps. Probably less than 1% of this board has even gone to a soccer game in the last 5 years.

Myopic viewpoints are the best...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/207458/per-game-attendance-of-major-us-sports-leagues/

MLS is #3 in attendance per game. More than NBA and NHL.

Advertisement
D1 soccer is dead due the academies taking all the kids. The academies don’t allow kids to play high school. If your a 16 year old player and haven’t been picked up by a professional team yet, then you're likely college bound. But the scouting system for college soccer is nowhere near the level of football. If soccer in America would just take a page from football and have an established coaching network for high schools then soccer on the US would explode. As long as they continue this pay to play system US soccer is fckd.
Imagine making kids pay thousands a year to get the best coaching for football. How many optimist kids would stop playing right now? What about the muck?
US soccer has basically said that any kid that is broke in the US has no chance of being a professional soccer player. And the academies are not gonna let that money go. If US soccer was for real they would subsidize coaches salaries in high school so they would have quality to coaches and open tryouts for the most talented kids. I know kids in rec soccer that are better than some of the acandemy kids but the parents can’t afford it.

Edit: the last sentence I meant travel soccer.
My kid is on a travel team and his classmate is better than he is but his parents can’t afford travel soccer. The parents feel like sht and have no options. Mind you were talking about an 8 year old that probably has natural talent and no real avenue to develop it due to money. And we wonder why we can’t make the World Cup.

good points, but there is a very good recruiting structure in the USA for college soccer … on the women's side. It's the men's programs that have problems. The women have their act together and it explains why internationally, the USA in women's soccer is pretty much like Soviet Union hockey in 1978.

When I was a kid, nobody played soccer. We didn't care. It was a foreign sport, something the English played.

I grew up in the 50's and '60's. I think the American soccer boom took off in the '70's.

Now it's something that girls and undersized white boys play. Back in the day, white boys played football and basketball. Now, no longer the case. (Honestly, how many white guys do you see in either sport--and many of the white guys in basketball are from Europe). So, the fallback is soccer and baseball.

Believe it not, when I was a kid, girls didn't even play sports. I saw some pictures of girls' basketball when I was a kid (cause nobody in your immediate environment played it). They wore dresses when they played it.
It did take off in the Mid 70s with the New York Cosmo's getting Pele' and Giorgio Chinaglia.....it was on from that moment on....

Wouldnt the NBA and NHL both play more games in smaller stadiums.

Also arent most MLS teams in cities with little competition for attendance. Also add to the fact most of their games are played in the summer time and not during football season.

That's a lot of mental gymnastics to explain the attendance records. My point still stands.

Advertisement
good points, but there is a very good recruiting structure in the USA for college soccer … on the women's side. It's the men's programs that have problems. The women have their act together and it explains why internationally, the USA in women's soccer is pretty much like Soviet Union hockey in 1978.

I agree. Also add that to the fact that our country basically kicked off women's soccer...everyone else is still playing catch up.

it’s a mentality issue as well from high school students. How many high school kids did you know that would’ve even considered playing soccer? It keeps growing and growing in popularity, even televised soccer, but the people that want to flex in high school aren’t going to be playing soccer
I See where your coming from. But the reason is due to the fact that we don’t have the players. If we did then it would be a different story. I truly believe the US has the ability coaching and player pool to be a top ten team in the world. But our system doesn’t let it happen.
Christian Pulisic was playing for Borussia Dortmund since he was 15 or 16. He flew to his senior prom from Germany in a private Jet and drove a convertible Porsche to the dance. That’s flexing.
so while football and basketball players will be getting D1 schollies e top soccer players will be getting multi million dollar contracts If we only stop this silly system.
Ive been to youth tournaments and I can tell you that south Florida alone can build a U10 team that can go anywhere in the world and hold its own. And that’s just taking into account 3 counties of middle class kids. Imagine good coaching available to all kids that want to play. We have the Athletes and the fields to do it.

Real hard to have the hunger you need to have to make in in professional sports when you're a middle class kid going to matches in your parents' Mercedes

I wouldn't say it's that.

You should see the facilities these foreign clubs have for their players starting before they hit double digits. They travel and fly all around the globe with no expense spared. They are treated better than all but the 1 percent of the world and are on their level.

The difference is that nothing is given, it is earned. Your spot is always up for grabs and the competition is merciless. You can come in as the hotshot of the decade and the older kids who's spot you'll possibly one day take, haze you worse than any frat ever did someone.

Those premiere programs youth clubs are no joke.

Advertisement
And the colleges also recruit internationally. Female D1 soccer is basically a world class league by itself.
Men’s D1 has to get the left overs from mls or whatever semi pro or second tier international club leaves behind.
And even the kids that go to top teams not many pan out. Look at Ben Lederman for example. He was at Barcelona like at 12. Idk where he iis now.

I See where your coming from. But the reason is due to the fact that we don’t have the players. If we did then it would be a different story. I truly believe the US has the ability coaching and player pool to be a top ten team in the world. But our system doesn’t let it happen.
Christian Pulisic was playing for Borussia Dortmund since he was 15 or 16. He flew to his senior prom from Germany in a private Jet and drove a convertible Porsche to the dance. That’s flexing.
so while football and basketball players will be getting D1 schollies e top soccer players will be getting multi million dollar contracts If we only stop this silly system.
Ive been to youth tournaments and I can tell you that south Florida alone can build a U10 team that can go anywhere in the world and hold its own. And that’s just taking into account 3 counties of middle class kids. Imagine good coaching available to all kids that want to play. We have the Athletes and the fields to do it.

There is zero doubt in my mind, that if there was the will and the structure in place, like there is in football, the US would be a big world power with just US players. It might take a few years to get the skill level built up, because so few of our skilled athletes have taken up the sport, but I have zero doubt in my mind. Zero.

I call BS on that some team from Florida holding there own in the world.

Being on a completely stacked team. My son didnt lose a game until he was 14 played in and won every major tournament in the south to Texas to the mid Atlantic Virginia/Maryland. 4-5 kids from that team got drafted in the MLS. They took the team to Brazil and got absolutely destroyed.

The Brazilian kids are dirt poor and need to make a super club. They play 11v11 all day and futsal in ****** gyms all night . Those kids have purpose and drive. We have made strides in the US but we will never be a worldwide powerhouse in men’s soccer.

Advertisement
Back