Univ. of Cincinnati Shuts down Men's Soccer Program

Advertisement
When my kid was 8 and playing in a tournament, I saw these 3 hispanic kids about that age. On another level as far as knowing spacing and moving into space to get a pass instead of the US kids all following the ball around.

LOL, yup, that's what I noticed at my wife's nephew's game.

Until American kid's say, "Let's go play a pick-up game of soccer", soccer will never fly here.

This is a case in sports where the decision-makers have to decide what model to use: Darwinism or Political Correctness!

MLS being the 3rd most attended sport per game in our country says you are incorrect.

You are confusing average attendance for a game and total attendance.Like I said without the Latino fans it would look like a UM home game versus Bethune Cookman.

MLS average attendance per game 21,310
34 games
Vs.

NBA average attendance per game 17,587
82 games
Vs.

NHL average attendance per game 17,456
82 Games

Do the math kid.

You are confusing average attendance for a game and total attendance.Like I said without the Latino fans it would look like a UM home game versus Bethune Cookman.

34 games
Vs.

82 games
Vs.

82 Games

Do the math kid.

Advertisement

34 games
Vs.

82 games
Vs.

82 Games

Do the math kid.

Why would you completely ignore the attendance per game numbers? That's an illogical argument. Attendance per game numbers are very important. Just because you can't fit as many soccer matches into a season doesn't mean you throw out the per game attendance. You are either being intellectually dishonest, or you are being a dumbass. Could be both.

If you wanted to extrapolate the equation and to an equal number of games played the MLS would have 1.75 million fans attending a season in 82 games to NBAs 1.44 mill. You'd have 300k fans to play with if you want to lessen the numbers for MLS due to a longer season.

Of course you want to ignore a very important statistic though...it doesn't fit your ignorant narrative.

On top of that, you say without the latinos there would be no support. Seattle has over 40k per game. Cincinnati has 28k per game. Whoops.

You trying to convince me or you that soccer matters in this country? Plus it’s Atlanta lmaooo

D1 soccer is dead due the academies taking all the kids. The academies don’t allow kids to play high school. If your a 16 year old player and haven’t been picked up by a professional team yet, then you're likely college bound. But the scouting system for college soccer is nowhere near the level of football. If soccer in America would just take a page from football and have an established coaching network for high schools then soccer on the US would explode. As long as they continue this pay to play system US soccer is fckd.
Imagine making kids pay thousands a year to get the best coaching for football. How many optimist kids would stop playing right now? What about the muck?
US soccer has basically said that any kid that is broke in the US has no chance of being a professional soccer player. And the academies are not gonna let that money go. If US soccer was for real they would subsidize coaches salaries in high school so they would have quality to coaches and open tryouts for the most talented kids. I know kids in rec soccer that are better than some of the acandemy kids but the parents can’t afford it.

Edit: the last sentence I meant travel soccer.
My kid is on a travel team and his classmate is better than he is but his parents can’t afford travel soccer. The parents feel like sht and have no options. Mind you were talking about an 8 year old that probably has natural talent and no real avenue to develop it due to money. And we wonder why we can’t make the World Cup.

I'm not a big soccer guy but I think a former Team USA player had an epic rant on ESPN once that pretty much agreed with all of your assertions.

Why would you completely ignore the attendance per game numbers? That's an illogical argument. Attendance per game numbers are very important. Just because you can't fit as many soccer matches into a season doesn't mean you throw out the per game attendance. You are either being intellectually dishonest, or you are being a dumbass. Could be both.

If you wanted to extrapolate the equation and to an equal number of games played the MLS would have 1.75 million fans attending a season in 82 games to NBAs 1.44 mill. You'd have 300k fans to play with if you want to lessen the numbers for MLS due to a longer season.

Of course you want to ignore a very important statistic though...it doesn't fit your ignorant narrative.

You do realize soccer stadiums typically have more seating then NBA or NHL arenas?

Advertisement

On top of that, you say without the latinos there would be no support. Seattle has over 40k per game. Cincinnati has 28k per game. Whoops.

How’s those TV ratings? See you just think it’s about attending a game which in fact the majority actually watch sports on TV that’s where the money is generated. So tell me how soccer means much in the US?

Oops
MLS TV Ratings Plummet

Last edited:
Here's are a couple of reasons in my humble opinion why soccer still hasn't had the appeal in America. (Short version spoiler; we're wired differently).

PERSPECTIVE: National identities

Soccer is a national sport for numerous countries - one of the things potential fans dislike is the tendency for its players to 'writhe in pain' on the ground when bumped into.

Football is the national sport of one country, 'Merica (And you know that!) - one of the things fans love is, it is a sport that 'brings the pain,' and celebrates over it!

HISTORY: "But women have success and are popular every four years"

Well see, that's because of Title IX - so, they should be waxing the world. The world's best men's teams come from countries that not only don't have Title IX or any similar opportunities, but some take a dim view on women athletes period.

Also, its cost effective to start a sport with rolling out a soccer ball and a couple of gill-nets on a post.

My little NAIA college in 1972 started with four female intramural sports that grew into (The very next year) KCAC league teams. Those girls granddaughters or great granddaughters grew up and are playing soccer now, we should beat Japan.

Yes, the girls had a couple bumps in the road with Germany and Japan, but one invented the Blitzkrieg, and the other the Bushido Code. Still in the end, Merica babes will continue to dominate.

Advertisement
Personal attacks
How’s those TV ratings? See you just think it’s about attending a game which in fact the majority actually watch sports on TV that’s where the money is generated. So tell me how soccer means much in the US?

Oops
MLS TV Ratings Plummet

Its a sport that is much better in the live atmosphere. On top of that, you ignored all of the other points made (surprise). Regardless, you still have yet to even remotely prove your idiotic rant that soccer is not a popular sport here. It isn't popular to you...so you take your myopic viewpoint that you formed with your buddies and pour it out here. I'll circle back to you are either a dumbass or intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its a sport that is much better in the live atmosphere. On top of that, you ignored all of the other points made (surprise). Regardless, you still have yet to even remotely prove your idiotic rant that soccer is not a popular sport here. It isn't popular to you...so you take your myopic viewpoint that you formed with your buddies and pour it out here. I'll circle back to you are either a dumbass or intellectually dishonest.

Live atmosphere? That’s your excuse? Baseball is better live too but they seem to have good ratings.

I actually love soccer it’s a beautiful game. Both of my kids both played D1 soccer . It’s still not popular and the best athletes still aren’t playing it and we still won’t be great at it. You can’t refute that.

Last edited:
It’s a start.

They will just call it something else. MLS will have their group. USL will have their group ECNL will have their group ODP will have their group etc etc.

I think we both can agree that until everyone can play for free things won’t change. Until the best athletes come over to soccer things won’t change.

Advertisement
Back