UNCONQUERED

Again, you have to look at pedigree. Recruited by JJ and played on 2-national championship teams. All-conference tackle. GA under Butch. Coached for Schiano, who made Rutgers at least respectful. Won a conference title at FIU. Mentored by Saban. Won the Pac 12 and the Rose Bowl last year in his second year. National recruiter of the year at Alabama.
And we picked the turnover chain over him lol.....can't make it up man we just can't make this stuff up.

Advertisement
Again, you have to look at pedigree. Recruited by JJ and played on 2-national championship teams. All-conference tackle. GA under Butch. Coached for Schiano, who made Rutgers at least respectful. Won a conference title at FIU. Mentored by Saban. Won the Pac 12 and the Rose Bowl last year in his second year. National recruiter of the year at Alabama.

Exactly.

This is what drives me nuts about the "we shouldn't hire any Miami alums, we shouldn't recruit any Miami legacies" crowd.

Yes, Mario made a couple of rash me-first decisions. Butch did too. But what they are, as coaches, is beyond that, and is far superior to everything we've had from 2001 forward.

Are you guys still gargling Cristobal balls?

Guy blew the Auburn game and then lost to a 5-5 Arizona State for a chance to make the playoffs. Congrats he won the PAC 12, one of the worst conferences in the past how many years?

And we picked the turnover chain over him lol.....can't make it up man we just can't make this stuff up.

Take Diaz out of the equation for a moment. There was still questions about Mario after the 2018 season and whether or not he could be successful at Miami considering what the buyout was going to be from Oregon. Is he the best choice? Don't know but he needs to be considered seriously now. A mandatory requirement for the Miami job is you have had to won a Power 5 conference title as a head coach at minimum. That being said Richt retiring did not hurt the university financially so we could have made the buyout. I mean we wasted $4 million buying out Diaz. Never thought the Diaz hire made any sense, but the way the department is run it makes perfect sense. If Diaz fails, then the AD goes. After 5 failed head coaches, I'm not sure money is going to be the issue. Miami is going to have to invest in a first rate AD. I understand why they went with the ticket guy. The two previous ADs did drive-bys. The AD sets the stage for the department. A first rate AD handles the football head coach search competently and asks Jim to kindly retire from the basketball program.

Take Diaz out of the equation for a moment. There was still questions about Mario after the 2018 season and whether or not he could be successful at Miami considering what the buyout was going to be from Oregon. Is he the best choice? Don't know but he needs to be considered seriously now. A mandatory requirement for the Miami job is you have had to won a Power 5 conference title as a head coach at minimum. That being said Richt retiring did not hurt the university financially so we could have made the buyout. I mean we wasted $4 million buying out Diaz. Never thought the Diaz hire made any sense, but the way the department is run it makes perfect sense. If Diaz fails, then the AD goes. After 5 failed head coaches, I'm not sure money is going to be the issue. Miami is going to have to invest in a first rate AD. I understand why they went with the ticket guy. The two previous ADs did drive-bys. The AD sets the stage for the department. A first rate AD handles the football head coach search competently and asks Jim to kindly retire from the basketball program.

When did Miami ever hire a guy who won a P5 conference? Why would someone leave to Miami after winning a P5 conference?

Advertisement
Blake made his first mistake by hiring a retiree then compounded by hiring a rookie. his job is on the line this year but I think the talent is there to get close to the record of 2017. Said this before I think somebody like Manny Diaz can go undefeated and I'd still be on the fence. Something about his personality just doesn't scream long-term success

If/when we hire another coach, I don't want the analysis to be "he's better than the last few we've had". I want to bring on a great coach. Nothing that Mario has done in his career thus far has shown me he is a great coach. Maybe one day he will show me that, but as we stand now, I don't understand why he's thought of so highly by so many of our people. I get the local ties and all that, and though I dont know him myself, he seems to be a good dude. But some all-world CFB coach? Whoa, pump the brakes.

Re: Cristobal...Nike $$$$ > Miami $$

HC isn't Miami's MOST critical need. Savage AD is.

Since Moglia is likely now too old, go after Papa Luck.

Blake made his first mistake by hiring a retiree then compounded by hiring a rookie. his job is on the line this year but I think the talent is there to get close to the record of 2017. Said this before I think somebody like Manny Diaz can go undefeated and I'd still be on the fence. Something about his personality just doesn't scream long-term success
With all due respect, that is a horrible take. You realize you've set it up in your brain to be a fail-fail, right? If he doesn't make substantial achievements this season, all responsibility falls on him and he is a failure who needs to go. Ok, fair enough. But then even if he were to go undefeated and win it all, he doesn't deserve credit for that and might need to go anyways because he "doesn't scream long-term success"? I don't get the logic behind that one at all. Seems to me to be much more an axe you have to grind.

Advertisement
Are you guys still gargling Cristobal balls?

Guy blew the Auburn game and then lost to a 5-5 Arizona State for a chance to make the playoffs. Congrats he won the PAC 12, one of the worst conferences in the past how many years?

But did he lose to FIU and get shut out by Louisiana Tech?

But did he lose to FIU and get shut out by Louisiana Tech?
No, but he has lost plenty of critical games to mid pack teams from a terrible conference. ****, he lost to an awful ASU team last season with a shot at the playoffs on the line and the #6 overall pick under center.

Again, I personally dont care about a Mario v Manny analysis. That implies one is eager to tout the greatness of Manny. I just dont get what Mario has achieved as an HC that makes so many down in south florida feel like he is some crown jewel to land. Reminds me of Taggart hype.

With all due respect, that is a horrible take. You realize you've set it up in your brain to be a fail-fail, right? If he doesn't make substantial achievements this season, all responsibility falls on him and he is a failure who needs to go. Ok, fair enough. But then even if he were to go undefeated and win it all, he doesn't deserve credit for that and might need to go anyways because he "doesn't scream long-term success"? I don't get the logic behind that one at all. Seems to me to be much more an axe you have to grind.
I didn't say he needed to go I'm saying he'd probably follow it up with 9-3 8-4

or another analysis...

Lashlee is viewed as the de facto HC. O success credit goes solely to him.

This scenario puts Miami even in more a pickle.

Are they savage enough to fire James/Manuela and keep Lashlee?

I recognize I'm bumping on tin foil territory here, but...

Advertisement
No, but he has lost plenty of critical games to mid pack teams from a terrible conference. ****, he lost to an awful ASU team last season with a shot at the playoffs on the line and the #6 overall pick under center.

Again, I personally dont care about a Mario v Manny analysis. That implies one is eager to tout the greatness of Manny. I just dont get what Mario has achieved as an HC that makes so many down in south florida feel like he is some crown jewel to land. Reminds me of Taggart hype.

He won recruiter of the year at Alabama where a chipmunk could recruit and barely outrecruited out last year even after a ****show of a season

or another analysis...

LOL. But if any of the stories are true about these BOT meetings this past December/January, it sounds like some big money people are close to the breaking point. If **** does downhill again this year I'd like to think there would be no way to stop those voices from taking over.

or another analysis...

More in house hires

Yay

Advertisement
That's nowhere near true... You guys just choose to reflect on the negative. Overall I'm not too fond of him personally or professionally. But it could be worse. I just don't like how he got the job especially knowing the job was supposed to be going to someone who would put us back on the right track nationally far quicker.
Really hoping manny pans out. I think he is going to run into the same situation as golden though where he refuses to fire his friends which in turn cost him his job. Hopefully Cristobal isn't done with us ******* him and comes home

Really hoping manny pans out. I think he is going to run into the same situation as golden though where he refuses to fire his friends which in turn cost him his job. Hopefully Cristobal isn't done with us ******* him and comes home

At least Manny’s buddies aren’t in charge of the worst defense in Miami’s history

It's how cristobal players play. A good majority of our kids could give 2 ***** about how they play. We had multiple guys skipping practice getting drunk taking breaks from the team and being allowed back with open arms. Along with bad mouthing coaches. Yes of course stuff like that happens else where but not at the rate it did last year.

Advertisement
Back