Uncle Luke says Miami should run the spread is he right?

IHATETHISPLACE

Thunderdome
LUTHER R CAMPBELL ‏@unclelukereal1 6m

Duke is running spread with athletes that can not compare with Miami's athletes and they're getting it done. Please Run Spread Miami

For the people that says Luke is just a hater and a racist he also said this..

LUTHER R CAMPBELL ‏@unclelukereal1 55m

Um vs Nebraska will be the biggest game of AL Goldens career in Miami I don't want to see the guy get fired.

Would running the spread on offense and playing a 4-2-5 on defense when the opposition is in 3 and 4 WR sets help solve the problems?

Advertisement
the spread should the the obvious choice with the plethora of talent we have at the receiver position. why recruit a million wr's if your're gonna line up in a basic iback formation? makes no sense and is a waste of talent and recruiting efforts.

the spread should the the obvious choice with the plethora of talent we have at the receiver position. why recruit a million wr's if your're gonna line up in a basic iback formation? makes no sense and is a waste of talent and recruiting efforts.

BRUH!! Truer words have NEVER been spoken!!!

Advertisement
With the players we have we should be able to run a multiple pro style offense. Throw in spread but ultimately do what we do and make adjustments on the go. If a team stacks the box with 8/9 go spread. If they run traditional defense 4/3 or 3/4 go pro style. We should be able and capable of doing both IMO. That is what a good coaching staff does. You make adjustments as the game goes on.

I personally don't want the spread full time. I think our pro style approach is what appeals to a lot of recruits and prepares our players more for the next level.

Spread is just a tactic. It's a terrible idea with this OC IMO. In the big picture it's fine, but you can run whatever if you have the right teachers. Right now it's no answer.

Is he right?

We've had numerous thread discussion on what we should be doing.

Including running a spread offense and 4-2-5 defense like TCU runs.

Yes.

And not because its the en vogue thing to do. Its proven that the biggest determinant of where recruits decide to go to school is location. So your style of play should reflect your recruiting base. Sure you can go out to other states and find players to fit whatever system you run, but you're just making recruiting harder for yourself. Most kids are gonna stay home to play ball, why make it difficult if you don't have to?

Much like Texas, high school's in the state of Florida are running spread-based systems. IIRC the City of Miami has the most NFL players, most of them being skill guys. You have access to the best skill talent in the country, why not run systems that play to that? In doing so you not only utilize the talent available to you, you build better depth and kids can also get on the field earlier because you're running a system they've played in since pop warner. It's a win all the way around.

Think about this. Miami won titles with the prostyle passing game (which was revolutionary at the time) and Erickson's single back offense (also unique at the time). FSU won titles with Bowden's fast break offense. UF won a title with Spurrier's Fun N' Gun and then Meyer's spread option. What do all those systems have in common? High usage of skill players so abundant in this state. I don't think that's a coincidence, this ain't rocket science. Recruit the best skill guys and design a system to get them the ball in space, the spread does that.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];1965856 said:
You don't have to run the spread to win.

of course not. but if we have the talent at the skill positions and we aren't successful at running the pro-style offense then why not. and if you noticed it's kind of the wave of the future in the evolution of college fb. we're stuck in the dinosaur age.

If we simply hit our play action passes, we'd be deadly. Well, if we threw those passes past the line of scrimmage so the **** defence would have to back the heck up. Back them up a bit and Duke would have room to run. Barry Sanders with Jim Browns' size couldn't have done much more than Duke did on Monday night.

Not all spreads are created equal.

I do think running a base spread type of offense that puts a Herb Waters on the field over a Ronald Regula is likely more productive.

A base spread that simplifies Kayaa's reads to essentially a passing skeleton drill will simplify the game, allow him to spread the ball around and perhaps most importantly, open up lanes for Duke/Yearby.

We should play to our strength (not letting opponent's dictate our weakness) by stacking receivers on the field and shifting them around. Kicking Duke out wide once in awhile.

My two cents. Just filling my **** jar.

When Ronald Regula is on the field....

200.gif

Advertisement
I'm about as big of a proponent of the pro-style offense that you'll find...but I'm about tired of it. I believe in it, and if it's run correctly you can still win games and win big...but we can't do that with this current staff in place.

Here's a different slant on things: how about we run Spread with read option run concepts and Raid offense passing concepts from 20 to 20, and then have a "package" for the red zone that's more traditional one-back and/or I formation once we get there? That way, you're not an Oregon one-trick-pony once the field shrinks near the goal line.

I'm pretty sure I just described Kevin Sumlin's offense at TAMU, pretty much. The knock on most Spread systems is that you can move fast and get major yards from 20 to 20, but inside the red zone, things get gummed up w/o the space to operate. By having this "package" inside the red zone, you can be capable of doing both.

Yes.

And not because its the en vogue thing to do. Its proven that the biggest determinant of where recruits decide to go to school is location. So your style of play should reflect your recruiting base. Sure you can go out to other states and find players to fit whatever system you run, but you're just making recruiting harder for yourself. Most kids are gonna stay home to play ball, why make it difficult if you don't have to?

Much like Texas, high school's in the state of Florida are running spread-based systems. IIRC the City of Miami has the most NFL players, most of them being skill guys. You have access to the best skill talent in the country, why not run systems that play to that? In doing so you not only utilize the talent available to you, you build better depth and kids can also get on the field earlier because you're running a system they've played in since pop warner. It's a win all the way around.

Think about this. Miami won titles with the prostyle passing game (which was revolutionary at the time) and Erickson's single back offense (also unique at the time). FSU won titles with Bowden's fast break offense. UF won a title with Spurrier's Fun N' Gun and then Meyer's spread option. What do all those systems have in common? High usage of skill players so abundant in this state. I don't think that's a coincidence, this ain't rocket science. Recruit the best skill guys and design a system to get them the ball in space, the spread does that.

also look at how muschamp hired guys to run a big 10 grinding offense and how miserably it has failed.

I'm about as big of a proponent of the pro-style offense that you'll find...but I'm about tired of it. I believe in it, and if it's run correctly you can still win games and win big...but we can't do that with this current staff in place.

Here's a different slant on things: how about we run Spread with read option run concepts and Raid offense passing concepts from 20 to 20, and then have a "package" for the red zone that's more traditional one-back and/or I formation once we get there? That way, you're not an Oregon one-trick-pony once the field shrinks near the goal line.

I'm pretty sure I just described Kevin Sumlin's offense at TAMU, pretty much. The knock on most Spread systems is that you can move fast and get major yards from 20 to 20, but inside the red zone, things get gummed up w/o the space to operate. By having this "package" inside the red zone, you can be capable of doing both.

I believe Chud would've ate Louisville's lunch calling a pro style game Monday!

Advertisement
Yes.

also look at how muschamp hired guys to run a big 10 grinding offense and how miserably it has failed.

Correct. And the result was that skill players avoided UF like the plague. The correct answer here is KISS.

What do a very large majority of south florida high schools run? The spread in one variation or another. It works for the talent we produce.

This staff won't change anything. They blame mental mistakes.

"biggest game of his career"

I thought Louisville was.

and he failed. NEB is his next test, best believe many will be watching since its on primetime, nowhere to hide al, unlike hurricane hotline you have to go to the game

Advertisement
Back