UM's Plan To Reopen

Stop with your nonsense.

Federalism is fine for everyday governance. "Federalism" is not the answer to everything, particularly when there are national emergencies that require national coordinated responses.

When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, we didn't scream "federalism" and call out 48 state militias. Congress declared war, and we used the US military to defeat the Axis countries.

"Total testing" doesn't matter, at least in terms of bragging about how great the USA is. Per capita testing is what is most important.

Also, nobody is saying you have to "force everyone to get tested". If some people want to stay home, avoid vaccines, and refuse testing and masks and hand washing, that is fine. We just don't have to let those people travel or infect others.

THIS JUST IN: Pear Harbor is the same as Corona guys!!!! You should be banned for saying that.

No two states are the same, so yes federalism is the answer. Central planning aka listening to Fauci and Birx is why places where the virus isn’t that wide spread are still locked down and people are still losing their jobs. Let’s face it, the federal government ruins everything it gets involved in, it doesn’t matter who or what party is in charge.

“You don’t have to get tested, but if you don’t we’re gonna lock you inside your house.”
LOL that’s a reasonable policy. Weren’t we told not to go to the doctor unless we absolutely needed to? Now it’s if you don’t go you’re on house arrest? What about healthy people? Testing every single person makes zero sense. You gonna do that same test everyday? If not it won’t matter.

Advertisement
Completely ridiculous.

"The simple number of people along with the logistics of administering and processing test is completely different".

No.

We have more per capita test-manufacturing capabilities. We have more per capita doctors. We have more per capita nurses. We have more per capita hospitals. We have more per capita processing capability.

If we had started manufacturing tests in January when WHO gave the world the blueprint for the Covid-19 test, we could EASILY have tested more people than the rest of the world ON A PER CAPITA BASIS, and not just on a numerical basis. But we screwed around for over two months, talking about how we only had 15 cases, which were going to go to zero, like a miracle, when the weather got warmer.

As for the nonsense about a "state-by-state" plan, the reasons against should be obvious. Coronvirus doesn't stop at the state lines to ask permission to enter. People move around. We need a national plan. Otherwise, the effort that people made to quarantine in more populous states will be destroyed by the impatient people in the less populated states.
The testing is perfect. Not as perfect as the letter but perfect. The hoax of a virus was gone in April just as our supreme leader promised it would be, so any further quibbling over testing is completely unnecessary.

Here's but a few excerpts from his eminency:

On Jan. 22, asked by a CNBC reporter whether there were “worries about a pandemic,” the president replied: “No, not at all. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

On Feb. 26, at a White House news conference, commenting on the country’s first reported cases: “We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.”

On Feb. 27, at a White House meeting: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

On March 7, standing next to President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil at Mar-a-Lago, his club in Palm Beach, Fla., when asked if he was concerned that the virus was spreading closer to Washington: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, I’m not. No, we’ve done a great job.”

On March 16, in the White House briefing room, warning that the outbreak would “wash” away this summer: “So it could be right in that period of time where it, I say, wash — it washes through. Other people don’t like that term. But where it washes through.”

Advertisement
Look, I do not claim to be an expert in whether China has been transparent, but I have 100% trust and faith in what this very stable genius has to say:

“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!” Trump wrote in a tweet.

I'm not trying to get into politics here, but Fauci was taking the position that the Chinese have been very transparent. Birx as well although good on her for doubting the statistic coming out of the CDC. To a point you listen to your experts which many people believe Fauci is until the facts say otherwise. That has long since been overcome by events and the U.S. has taken a hardline position with China and the W.H.O. I am not blaming anybody in the United States (Federal, State and Local levels) for COVID-19 and the response. We just did not know. This is a nation of 355 million people with vastly different regions and states within each region. I am however blaming the China Communist Party who knew since October this was a problem and then used its apologist stooges in the W.H.O. to perpetuate their lies and propaganda. They closed down Wuhan but let their people travel the world. At least Europe recognizes the Chinese are to blame. Of course, this is an election year so politics in a divided country must prevail.

Advertisement
You were the one that said people travel and the virus doesn't respect borders. The NJ governor is opening the Jersey Shore for Memorial Day. That's not being done in Dade or Broward. Please do go on about how FL or GA are causing problems for NY.

When you say we're not doing enough testing and I prove to you that the hardest hit spot in the country is testing more than almost anywhere in the world, it kind of negates that point, doesn't it?

I work in a hospital. I know how much work it takes to process tests and how much they cost. Neither I, nor any of my coworkers have been tested. There's no need. That's not a talking point, it's the reality of the situation.

I didn't pit any states against one another. I didn't say that FL or GA are causing problems for NY. That's something that you invented, so that you would have a straw man to attack. I contrasted the "land border" between NY and Quebec and the border between FL and GA.

As for your silly logic, no, the fact that NY is doing more testing doesn't "negate the point".

I don't care that you clean toilets in a hospital, and it doesn't matter how much "work" it takes to process tests and "how much they cost". That's just an excuse used by the dopey.

If you want the US economy to return to normal, and if you want the US citizens to have confidence doing the things that they used to do, then you have to increase testing, no matter how much "work" it is or the cost.

It's easy to talk tough when something doesn't impact you. If you don't have coronavirus, it's easy to say "let's all be brave, let's all go back to normal". But we need a national gameplan to restore confidence and to get a handle on this virus, how it spreads, how it can be contained, because it may be another year (or never) until we have a vaccine.

This is what the "all-or-nothing" crowd argues. I am not saying "stay shutdown forever". I don't care what you think of my political ideology, but outside of a handful of crazy people of any ideology, the vast majority of people in this country would not sacrifice their jobs and their 401(k) plans just to "win" one political election. Nobody cares about ideology anymore. People just want someone competent to develop a plan and execute a plan. We can argue about ideology later.

Anyone can say "let's go back to work". Saying it won't restore confidence. Saying it won't let people go back to sporting events and concerts and movies and restaurants and airports and theme parks and beaches.

Nobody wants to die, or have their kids die, just for a trip to the beach.

The only way to restore widespread confidence, the only way to get back to normal, is to do widespread ongoing testing, until such time as a vaccine is developed or the spread and/or mutation of the virus ends.

That's not politics, that's just logic.

So many deluded people think that once the states "reopen", everything will go back to normal and the economy will just switch back on again.

It doesn't work that way.

I'm not trying to get into politics here, but Fauci was taking the position that the Chinese have been very transparent. Birx as well although good on her for doubting the statistic coming out of the CDC. To a point you listen to your experts which many people believe Fauci is until the facts say otherwise. That has long since been overcome by events and the U.S. has taken a hardline position with China and the W.H.O. I am not blaming anybody in the United States (Federal, State and Local levels) for COVID-19 and the response. We just did not know. This is a nation of 355 million people with vastly different regions and states within each region. I am however blaming the China Communist Party who knew since October this was a problem and then used its apologist stooges in the W.H.O. to perpetuate their lies and propaganda. They closed down Wuhan but let their people travel the world. At least Europe recognizes the Chinese are to blame. Of course, this is an election year so politics in a divided country must prevail.

Fauci? That was a statement from Trump.

And stop it with the October nonsense. The first observed case was in mid-November, and another case discovered in December was reported to WHO in December.

We can have all the discussions in the world about whether China should have acted 6 weeks earlier.

But we can't deny that the US wasted months. Plural.

South Korea took action beginning in January.

The US did not.

It would be great if every country shared every bit of information the minute they got the information.

But we have to take the blame for doing nothing in February and March when COVID-19 had been genome-mapped by mid-January and WHO had given every country on the planet the blueprint for a testing kid by late January.

China could have done more and sooner.

The US should have done a lot more, and a lot sooner.

Both things can be true at the same time, it's time to stop whining about China and take care of our own business.

And stop it with the October nonsense. The first observed case was in mid-November, and another case discovered in December was reported to WHO in December.

We can have all the discussions in the world about whether China should have acted 6 weeks earlier.

The US did not.

It would be great if every country shared every bit of information the minute they got the information.

But we have to take the blame for doing nothing in February and March when COVID-19 had been genome-mapped by mid-January and WHO had given every country on the planet the blueprint for a testing kid by late January.

Both things can be true at the same time, it's time to stop whining about China and take care of our own business.
The devout morons in the US apparently are content with relying on the brutal, constantly lying dictatorship of China to protect us. Sad bunch of dopes.

China lied!!!! Yeah, no ****, moron. That's what China always does. That's like being surprised that NJtoFLCane ate the last piece of pizza when you went to get another beer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I didn't pit any states against one another. I didn't say that FL or GA are causing problems for NY. That's something that you invented, so that you would have a straw man to attack. I contrasted the "land border" between NY and Quebec and the border between FL and GA.

As for your silly logic, no, the fact that NY is doing more testing doesn't "negate the point".

I don't care that you clean toilets in a hospital, and it doesn't matter how much "work" it takes to process tests and "how much they cost". That's just an excuse used by the dopey.

If you want the US economy to return to normal, and if you want the US citizens to have confidence doing the things that they used to do, then you have to increase testing, no matter how much "work" it is or the cost.

It's easy to talk tough when something doesn't impact you. If you don't have coronavirus, it's easy to say "let's all be brave, let's all go back to normal". But we need a national gameplan to restore confidence and to get a handle on this virus, how it spreads, how it can be contained, because it may be another year (or never) until we have a vaccine.

This is what the "all-or-nothing" crowd argues. I am not saying "stay shutdown forever". I don't care what you think of my political ideology, but outside of a handful of crazy people of any ideology, the vast majority of people in this country would not sacrifice their jobs and their 401(k) plans just to "win" one political election. Nobody cares about ideology anymore. People just want someone competent to develop a plan and execute a plan. We can argue about ideology later.

Anyone can say "let's go back to work". Saying it won't restore confidence. Saying it won't let people go back to sporting events and concerts and movies and restaurants and airports and theme parks and beaches.

Nobody wants to die, or have their kids die, just for a trip to the beach.

The only way to restore widespread confidence, the only way to get back to normal, is to do widespread ongoing testing, until such time as a vaccine is developed or the spread and/or mutation of the virus ends.

That's not politics, that's just logic.

So many deluded people think that once the states "reopen", everything will go back to normal and the economy will just switch back on again.

It doesn't work that way.
I must have mistaken your meaning when you said this:
As for the nonsense about a "state-by-state" plan, the reasons against should be obvious. Coronvirus doesn't stop at the state lines to ask permission to enter. People move around. We need a national plan. Otherwise, the effort that people made to quarantine in more populous states will be destroyed by the impatient people in the less populated states.

Testing does take man-hours and does have a cost associated with it, I don't know why you'd think otherwise. It's not like hospitals or labs have dozens of extra people and equipment sitting around waiting for something to do.

I've never said to open it up all right away. A phased approach is prudent, but expecting FL to follow the same schedule as NY ignores the facts surrounding the two. There is no reason for FL to stay closed because NY is still having a problem. Period.

I've noticed your tone has become more mean-spirited as this thread has gone on. If this conversation upsets you, we can let it go right now.

The US did not.

Fauci took the position on China transparency as early as late January. That is not opinion that is fact. Again, Fauci is the expert and again you listen to your experts. As late as February Fauci was stating the U.S. had nothing to worry about. As late as March 9th, he advised that it was okay to go cruising unless you were at risk, such as immune deficient, etc. I don't blame Fauci he was working on his 40 years of experience. We just did not know.

BTW, the first confirmed case in Great Britain looks to trace back to late October according to a Telegraph article from six days ago. U.S intelligence confirms China shut down major roads in and out of Wuhan and particularly around the lab in mid-October. I posted an article below that is fair. BTW, the U.S. was working on test kits and they knew they had a problem on January 27th. You think it is easy to mobilize a nation of 355 million? In 1941 the nation rallied around President Roosevelt and we were grossly unprepared. 79 years later all we do is snipe. It's bull****. Again, China is to blame. You want to get political. I refuse to be part of the bed ******* crowd.

How South Korea Successfully Battled COVID-19 While the U.S. Didn’t

Coronavirus_South_Korea_1296x728-header.jpg
Share on PinterestExperts say South Korea introduced testing and other measures more quickly and efficiently than the United States in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg via Getty Images
  • The United States is reporting 15 times more confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths than South Korea despite having only about six times the population.
  • Experts say the disparity is due to South Korea ramping up testing more quickly and implementing preventive measures, such as school closures, earlier.
  • South Korea is making tentative plans to reopen some public facilities next week while the United States is expected to keep social distancing mandates in place for at least another month.
All data and statistics are based on publicly available data at the time of publication. Some information may be out of date. Visit our coronavirus hub and follow our live updates page for the most recent information on the COVID-19 outbreak.
The COVID-19 outbreak was identified in South Korea and in the United States on the same day.
In the more than 2 months since then, South Korea has reduced its rate of new daily cases to one-tenth of its peak while the United States likely won’t see that peak for weeks.
South Korea is also tentatively planning to re-open some public facilities as early as next week.
The United States, on the other hand, is likely to have social distancing measures until at least the end of April.
The reasons for the disparity in the two countries’ outcomes have to do with more than just size, experts say.
It has more to do with the United States missing a critical window to ramp up testing and implement precautionary procedures to get on top of the virus.
The United States has more than six times the population of South Korea, but it’s reporting more than 15 times the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths.
As of Sunday, the United States was listed as having more than 150,000 known COVID-19 cases and more than 2,400 deaths.
As of today, March 30, South Korea is listed as having 9,661 cases and 158 deaths.
Hospital morgues in New York City are expected to reach or surpass capacity soon.
Cities across the country are locked down, a last-ditch step that South Korea was able to avoid.
Experts say things might be different in the United States if the country had taken earlier actions — about a month or two ago — closer to what South Korea did.
Examining this alternate reality might also shed light on where the United States can go from here and whether at least parts of the country can still learn from and catch up with South Korea.
January 19: The same starting point

On January 19, a man checked into an urgent care clinic north of Seattle, Washington, put on a mask, and sat in the waiting room.
The 35-year-old nonsmoker had experienced a cough and a fever for the previous four days. Twenty minutes later, he was taken to an examination room.
The patient told medical personnel he had returned from Wuhan, China, four days earlier.
A battery of tests for various illnesses came back negative. A test for COVID-19 came back positive.
On the same day (January 20 in South Korea), a woman, also 35, arrivedTrusted Source at Incheon International Airport outside Seoul with a fever.
Like the man at the Seattle clinic, she had arrived from Wuhan, where she lived. She was taken to a hospital, where she also tested positive for COVID-19.
“It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine,” President Donald Trump told Americans on January 22.
Late January: Tests come online

On January 27, after four confirmed cases of COVID-19, South Korean health officials met with medical companies.
The officials told the companies they needed them to develop tests for the coronavirus and that they’d rapidly approve new tests.
A week later, the first test was approved.
In early February, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a coronavirus test developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
However, it would prove unreliable and mostly unusable.
“We bought ourselves some precious time early on when we closed travel to and from China. That was very important because we reduced introduction. So, we were really in excellent shape at that time,” Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Tennessee, told Healthline.
“But we were hampered shortly thereafter because our capacity to test was so curtailed, both on the public and private side,” Schaffner added. “So we didn’t know how widespread the virus was in our country because there wasn’t testing.”

Last edited:
Fauci took the position on China transparency as early as late January. That is not opinion that is fact. Again, Fauci is the expert and again you listen to your experts. As late as February Fauci was stating the U.S. had nothing to worry about. As late as March 9th, he advised that it was okay to go cruising unless you were at risk, such as immune deficient, etc. I don't blame Fauci he was working on his 40 years of experience. We just did not know.

BTW, the first confirmed case in Great Britain looks to trace back to late October according to a Telegraph article from six days ago. U.S intelligence confirms China shut down major roads in and out of Wuhan and particularly around the lab in mid-October. I posted an article below that is fair. BTW, the U.S. was working on test kits and they knew they had a problem on January 27th. You think it is easy to mobilize a nation of 355 million? In 1941 the nation rallied around President Roosevelt and we were grossly unprepared. 79 years later all we do is snipe. It's bull****. Again, China is to blame. You want to get political. I refuse to be part of the bed ******* crowd.

How South Korea Successfully Battled COVID-19 While the U.S. Didn’t

Coronavirus_South_Korea_1296x728-header.jpg
Share on PinterestExperts say South Korea introduced testing and other measures more quickly and efficiently than the United States in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg via Getty Images
  • The United States is reporting 15 times more confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths than South Korea despite having only about six times the population.
  • Experts say the disparity is due to South Korea ramping up testing more quickly and implementing preventive measures, such as school closures, earlier.
  • South Korea is making tentative plans to reopen some public facilities next week while the United States is expected to keep social distancing mandates in place for at least another month.
All data and statistics are based on publicly available data at the time of publication. Some information may be out of date. Visit our coronavirus hub and follow our live updates page for the most recent information on the COVID-19 outbreak.
The COVID-19 outbreak was identified in South Korea and in the United States on the same day.
In the more than 2 months since then, South Korea has reduced its rate of new daily cases to one-tenth of its peak while the United States likely won’t see that peak for weeks.
South Korea is also tentatively planning to re-open some public facilities as early as next week.
The United States, on the other hand, is likely to have social distancing measures until at least the end of April.
The reasons for the disparity in the two countries’ outcomes have to do with more than just size, experts say.
It has more to do with the United States missing a critical window to ramp up testing and implement precautionary procedures to get on top of the virus.
The United States has more than six times the population of South Korea, but it’s reporting more than 15 times the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths.
As of Sunday, the United States was listed as having more than 150,000 known COVID-19 cases and more than 2,400 deaths.
As of today, March 30, South Korea is listed as having 9,661 cases and 158 deaths.
Hospital morgues in New York City are expected to reach or surpass capacity soon.
Cities across the country are locked down, a last-ditch step that South Korea was able to avoid.
Experts say things might be different in the United States if the country had taken earlier actions — about a month or two ago — closer to what South Korea did.
Examining this alternate reality might also shed light on where the United States can go from here and whether at least parts of the country can still learn from and catch up with South Korea.
January 19: The same starting point

On January 19, a man checked into an urgent care clinic north of Seattle, Washington, put on a mask, and sat in the waiting room.
The 35-year-old nonsmoker had experienced a cough and a fever for the previous four days. Twenty minutes later, he was taken to an examination room.
The patient told medical personnel he had returned from Wuhan, China, four days earlier.
A battery of tests for various illnesses came back negative. A test for COVID-19 came back positive.
On the same day (January 20 in South Korea), a woman, also 35, arrivedTrusted Source at Incheon International Airport outside Seoul with a fever.
Like the man at the Seattle clinic, she had arrived from Wuhan, where she lived. She was taken to a hospital, where she also tested positive for COVID-19.
“It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine,” President Donald Trump told Americans on January 22.
Late January: Tests come online

On January 27, after four confirmed cases of COVID-19, South Korean health officials met with medical companies.
The officials told the companies they needed them to develop tests for the coronavirus and that they’d rapidly approve new tests.
A week later, the first test was approved.
In early February, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a coronavirus test developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
However, it would prove unreliable and mostly unusable.
“We bought ourselves some precious time early on when we closed travel to and from China. That was very important because we reduced introduction. So, we were really in excellent shape at that time,” Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Tennessee, told Healthline.
“But we were hampered shortly thereafter because our capacity to test was so curtailed, both on the public and private side,” Schaffner added. “So we didn’t know how widespread the virus was in our country because there wasn’t testing.”
Excellent post. Hope the simps take time to read it...

Advertisement
Back