UM's Plan To Reopen

Advertisement
It's funny to see a legend die in a heap of partisan demagoguery....
Nah, he's not dead, he's just misguided in this case.

At least he can be reasoned with, but you can't really blame people who believe what they are told repeatedly, even if it's mostly lies. Went back and forth with Chise the other day and I think he still didn't believe me that the US had more than enough ventilators and would be sending them overseas. He at least listened and talked, even if he'd rather believe what CNN tells him than the truth.

****, even TOC is normally a great poster, if a bit headstrong, dismissive, and overly sure of himself at times. Sometimes, we just have to agree to disagree and maintain the love.

4OUSoXUZm3ZYVeFHnweyQ8LTwgjSISdrwddn_3sDpo9wM88IbEI4mCv9oqzYsUtcXuAcWP_2QbyileJI-NQcEEeFIuoVrQIE3Xy1AmRGuEhzJOl_jbln0Op1xRD8xuuc5eDg01NJNQRfQUvgPKnyXpPcca1a4V2QmJ_oaj0IktvnKDeowUmTtUxuQ0g2Lz4Cn8eWKGKh

You are tossing out a red herring. What science and stats were there two months ago? All we had was wild-assed IHME projections that turned out to be off by a factor of 10 to 20, now being argued as though those "stats" were correct and citing "facts" that lockdowns were the foundational difference in what they projected and what happened.

There was very little science behind anything being discussed two months ago, and unfortunately, that hasn't changed a lot. What we do have now, however, is data, the foundation upon which real science is built. We can argue all day long about the validity of that data, but it's the only data we've got.

4-5 months ago, scientists would have at least said that there was some question as to the effectiveness of mass forced quarantine protocols, particularly in a free society. All of the sudden, it's become "fact" and "science" that "lockdowns save lives and stop the spread", yet no studies can be cited definitively establishing that position. Studies are, at best contradictory and inconclusive as to whether an untrained public wearing home made face masks is effective in reducing transmissibility of a viral contagion, yet anyone who even suggests that position is a selfish troglodyte "ignoring the science".

So don't tell me I'm a "people who didn't like science and stats two months ago who is now citing science and stats". But yes, I am well aware that you have cited this tripe repeatedly.

All we had was wild-assed IHME projections that turned out to be off by a factor of 10 to 20, now being argued as though those "stats" were correct and citing "facts" that lockdowns were the foundational difference in what they projected and what happened.

With the mastermind behind it turning out to be a fraud himself. Again, if somebody walked into my office with these projections and the lack of real information we had coming out of China at the time, I would have made the same decisions.

Lots of lessons learned about what to do and what not to do in the future, but one thing for sure, we will be prepared. FEMA and the Feds learned a lot after Katrina. Too bad it got politicized immediately afterwards. But in the end FEMA was more than prepared for the next major hurricane hitting the U.S.

Last edited:
Nah, he's not dead, he's just misguided in this case.

At least he can be reasoned with, but you can't really blame people who believe what they are told repeatedly, even if it's mostly lies. Went back and forth with Chise the other day and I think he still didn't believe me that the US had more than enough ventilators and would be sending them overseas. He at least listened and talked, even if he'd rather believe what CNN tells him than the truth.

****, even TOC is normally a great poster, if a bit headstrong, dismissive, and overly sure of himself at times. Sometimes, we just have to agree to disagree and maintain the love.
Good show. You're a man of honor. ...
That's more than respectable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Crazy thoughts?

What do you think "this type" of pandemic is? A pandemic is a pandemic. There is nothing special about "this type" of pandemic that should have allowed anyone to dismiss it as a "serious possibility that couldn't happen in our lifetimes". As pointed out previously, there were THREE pandemics during Obama's time in office alone. Can we please stop feeding the myth of "oh, this is something that we could not possibly have imagined or prepared for"? We absolutely could have, would have, and should have been prepared for this.

"We know so little about how it spreads and how contagious it was"? We were warned about how contagious it was in January. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but is Coronavirus spread by any "new and unusual methods"? Does a face-hugger attach itself to your mouth and lay an egg in your stomach, and then explode out of your abdomen when it hatches?

Here's a thought. Coronvirus spreads by all of the normal methods. Human contact. Bodily fluids. Etc. etc. etc. It doesn't matter if someone tells you to wear a mask or not wear a mask, it is ALWAYS good to wear a mask. Most Asian countries have been taking this precaution for years.

Why are you blaming WHO? They were notified by China in late December. They were disseminating information in January, within weeks. If you insist on blaming China, I can't stop you, but AT MOST China screwed around for 10 weeks. WHO didn't waste any time.

Nobody is blaming politicians for every aspect of this. But on issues of planning, coordinating, and responding, it is a very fair assessment to blame the federal government, which actually had the intel in January.

This isn't the first pandemic ever, and it won't be the last. The myths of "oh, we didn't know" and "oh, how could we know/prepare" need to be destroyed once and for all.

This is the new reality. Pandemics could happen at any time. We need to be prepared, and we need to stop making an excuse every time there is a "new" (actually, a new mutation) of a virus or a flu.
We've had pandemics that were variants of influenza. That's not exactly novel. If this is just another like we've already had, then why the extraordinary measures. We know there's a possibility that plenty of things can happen, but don't see it as an imminent threat. How are we planning for the Yellowstone supervolcano eruption?

There are still questions about viral load intestinal transmission, so no,m we are still learning about how it spreads. Just today I read a new article about the volume of respiratory droplets associated with talking.

Yes, I'll blame China for trying to keep it secret and the WHO for parroting them when they said there was no human to human transmission in mid-January. They, along with all the US news sources, are afraid of offending China and China is very easily offended. I'm giving politicians wide latitude because I know how hard it is to make perfect decisions in crisis situations. That includes both sides. The only time I'll push back is when one is painted as being flawless like Cuomo has been.

We agree on the future, I expect biodefense to become a much bigger priority going forward. I sincerely hope that more priority gets put to predictive modeling, because they dropped the ball on almost every front.

Advertisement
Just here to say trump will win and franchise will cry like a ***** that day
Just here to remind you that you're a **** who was on here openly weeping and begging for prayers with lips quivering when a thunderstorm was approaching your hick town a couple years ago. Homemade bytch is what you are.

Advertisement
Just here to remind you that you're a **** who was on here openly weeping and begging for prayers with lips quivering when a thunderstorm was approaching your hick town a couple years ago. Homemade bytch is what you are.
The hurricane headed to the Carolinas if I recall. This drama did happen.

Advertisement
Back