UM weekend coaches clinic

surfcane

Pipeline Grand Champion
From Rivals ...

Al Golden has done his part to reach out to local high school coaches and make them feel welcome at The U from the day he arrived in Coral Gables. He has almost made it a personal crusade to make sure South Florida coaches know their craft better than anybody in the land and feel that there is an open door for them at the Hecht Athletic Center.

This weekend's South Florida Football Festival At The U is Golden's latest Made for Coaches event.

The two-day action-packed affair will include Friday talks on offense and defense by Miami's coordinators - James Coley and Mark D'Onofrio - followed by chalk talks by position by the Miami staff.

Golden himself will speak on the important of Special Teams and the return game and then a pair of Florida Atlantic University coaches, receivers coach Dan Shula and defensive backs coach Corey Bell, will speak on offense and defense.

After a dinner on campus, the coaches will move under the lights at the Cobb track and see on-field demonstrations with the UM staff and current members of the Miami football team. All high school and youth players are also being invited to the "Fundamental Friday" evening event.

Former Miami Running Backs Coach Don Soldinger will give a Keynote Speech to the coaches on "Attitude of a Champion" before the coaches finish the night with a social at the Rathskeller on campus.

After a few hours of sleep, the coaches will be back on campus bright and early Saturday morning for offensive and defensive presentations by coaches at Florida International University.

Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi will make a presentation and then after lunch the coaches will be invited to watch on as the Hurricanes Football Team scrimmages for the first time this spring.

It's all designed to help area coaches.

"It's always great to have a coaching clinic for high school coaches so we can see what they're doing at the next level," said Miami Central High School coach Roland Smith, who will participate in the clinic. "There are drills they have that we can use to help kids out. Myself and other coaches, we try to run our programs like college programs. We want them to be academically and athletically sound, and this helps with that."

Advertisement
The two-day action-packed affair will include Friday talks on offense and defense by Miami's coordinators - James Coley and Mark D'Onofrio - followed by chalk talks by position by the Miami staff.

Insert Mark D'Onofrio joke here

After a dinner on campus, the coaches will move under the lights at the Cobb track and see on-field demonstrations with the UM staff and current members of the Miami football team. All high school and youth players are also being invited to the "Fundamental Friday" evening event.

Does that count as a practice?

Advertisement
smh at Brennan not getting pops to come through

Alfred should have made BC's Super Bowl vacation contingent on him getting his old man to return the favor and participate in this. That said, Jimmy actually should be on campus a little more too as I know he has an excellent relationship with Golden.

smh at Brennan not getting pops to come through

Alfred should have made BC's Super Bowl vacation contingent on him getting his old man to return the favor and participate in this. That said, Jimmy actually should be on campus a little more too as I know he has an excellent relationship with Golden.

Hard to get JJ off his boat. He loves the ocean. These clinics are a good idea, but I would like the staff to go to one also -- to learn better teaching and coaching skills. They all seem to have relationship building down good, but there is more than that.

Advertisement
This is an awesome thing! Helps high school coaches better coach up top talent getting ready for college ball and also helps our coaching staff network with the local HS coaches. I love this and think it's a brilliant idea.

Now if we can start making that top talent stay home....

YDS 1101
Intro to 500 Yard Games
Prof D'Onofrio

CLD 2002
Principles of Clouds
Dr Golden

GUT 1033
History of Losing
Dr Golden

YDS 1101
Intro to 500 Yard Games
Prof D'Onofrio

CLD 2002
Principles of Clouds
Dr Golden

GUT 1033
History of Losing
Dr Golden

First 100 to register gets the bonus "How to Make An Average Quarterback Look Like A Heisman" By Mark D'Onofrio. It's got that cover picture of Shayon Greene lined up over a #1 receiver.

YDS 1101
Intro to 500 Yard Games
Prof D'Onofrio

CLD 2002
Principles of Clouds
Dr Golden

GUT 1033
History of Losing
Dr Golden

First 100 to register gets the bonus "How to Make An Average Quarterback Look Like A Heisman" By Mark D'Onofrio. It's got that cover picture of Shayon Greene lined up over a #1 receiver.

And don't forget...
MOP101
Intro to fan douchery
King Mope WTH

Advertisement
Great idea. Maybe this will give the local coaches a better understanding of exactly what this scheme entails as well as enhancing their own knowledge of the schemes and fundamentals. Also kinda shows what type of player(skill set wise) that we're looking for at certain positions, being that some coaches always have a gripe about why this player isn't a fit in what we're trying to do. Great exposure for FIU and FAU coaches as well. Clinics, when conducted properly are like gold to coaches, especially young coaches like myself. Any drill or teaching point that could help put an athlete over the top in refining their skills is an A+. Wish schools like UGA would do the same up here in GA.

Advertisement
DUM 3000
Principles of Insanity: Expecting Elite results from teams with 3 fourth round picks
Miami Fans 2010-2013

DUM 3000
Principles of Insanity: Expecting Elite results from teams with 3 fourth round picks
Miami Fans 2010-2013

I'm A Miami Fan 100
Expecting to Compete With Teams With Far Inferior Talent Than You: Selected Case Studies From The 2011-2013 ACC Schedule
Me

Last edited:
189.gif

Advertisement
Back