UM vs FGCU - Canes win 7-3

Do you understand how asinine you look at this point? You're still trying to win an argument from months ago, reality is there's nothing you can do about it now and many of us were unhappy when they lost.
I finally see now for some it's about being right and has nothing to do with supporting the baseball team, carry on.

Months ago? We lost to #161 and #204 in the last three weeks. As for "being right", we were right for the last five years while people were telling us that "it's just one loss", "it's early", "we'll be fine". Well, those people were wrong and never owned up to it. I'm glad that you people are excited about hosting, but isn't that the minimum expectation around here?

It must suck to be that miserable.
And the games being mentioned were Maine, BCC & Stetson which were months ago.

Advertisement
So tell me...before the year started what did you expect? Did you think we were a top 10 team or a lock to host a regional with a good chance to be a national seed?

I don't think anyone knew. Pretty much everyone understood that we had a freshman group that could make an immediate impact. Or they could need a year to mature.

My hope is to always make Omaha as well...and we were spoiled with that for years. Of course I would love to make it back this year, but I also understand we have a bunch of freshman playing and our best hitter (DT) out for the year. I'm enjoing this season and will be cheering them on during the regionals and hopefully super regionals, but I'm not going to nitpick every little thing.

Why do we have a bunch of freshmen playing? That's the absolute core of the issue. Recruiting and development has failed miserably.

As for nitpicking every little thing, we've played in one Super Regional in five years and we went 0-2 in that one. So pardon me for being tired of failing in the post-season. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. If that's a "little thing", then I am afraid to ask what the important things are.

I've said that Morris needs to go on more than one occasion, mainly because I think we bunt far too much and aren't more aggressive on the basepaths with our speed. Our defensive woes are very well documented these past few years under Morris too. I've also not liked the lack of passion/fire I've seen these past few years. I've also said that Arteaga needs to go because I haven't liked the way that he handles the pitching staff. I think we leave starters in for an inning or more too long way too often, and it's hurt us in ballgames before. Our bullpen was only average these past few seasons as well, left a lot to be desired.

That being said--they've both done better this year. They've let the players play a little more, have fun, and are just looser. If you don't believe me, go check out the @UMOutlaws Twitter for the UM Outfielders. They're having a blast...and they're winning. So...I'll give 3 some credit for maybe loosening the reins a bit and allowing the kids to be more expressive and emotional--something we sorely lacked for a few years. We looked flat out depressed at times, and in big games, too...which was disappointing.

We've bunted less, and have upped our power numbers a bit thanks to Collins and Abreu mainly. Palmer and Carey batting better at the top has helped us offensively as well. I still wish we were more aggressive on the basepaths and stole more bases, but I understand picking your spots as we have. Defensively...we still need to improve, especially the infield. We've done a lot better than the past few years and compared to the start of the season, but we have to continue to tighten that up.

Arteaga has a bullpen now. Between Woodrey, Hammond, and Garcia...we've got 3 guys that can take over once the starter is pulled that can sling it, and be relied on to get the big outs. Woodrey's a Sophomore, and Hammond/Garcia are Freshmen...so I'll be interested to see if Arteaga tries to do too much w/them and gets in their way, or if he let's them keep it up and develop as they should. And there have been a few times this season where I thought we should have pulled the starter in the 6th or so, and Arteaga/Morris left him out there...but it's been a lot more infrequent than in recent years.

Maybe they're getting better and evolving some as coaches. Maybe it's the talented recruiting class we just hauled in (Thanks, Gino) making Morris/Arteaga look better. I don't know. I still think that one of these years here soon, Morris will be gone, and any discussion on replacing him is healthy and realistic. For now, I'm putting my pitchfork and torch down and I'm going to hope that Morris/Arteaga keep continuing to improve/evolve, and that they let the players be themselves, and play great baseball.

No, what sucks is being that excited over regular season accomplishments when we used to play for championships. Now the yearly goal is to just not be eliminated by Florida.

The games that were months ago are killing us just as much as the games in the last three weeks. Go ahead and shrug your shoulders and say that we can't do anything about it. This would only be the sixth straight year of having that attitude.

No, what sucks is being that excited over regular season accomplishments when we used to play for championships. Now the yearly goal is to just not be eliminated by Florida.

The games that were months ago are killing us just as much as the games in the last three weeks. Go ahead and shrug your shoulders and say that we can't do anything about it. This would only be the sixth straight year of having that attitude.

Then why don't you enjoy the winning in the regular season and then whine if/when we lose in the post season? I'm sorry, but I'm excited for the players and school right now. I'm not going to temper my expectations because we lost a game to bad team or had two errors in a win. Just seems like you enjoy pointing out flaws every way you can.

Advertisement
Rice lost a series to Mid Tenn St and a midweek game vs Lamar. Do you think their fans are happy that they're in the top 10 and a possible national seed or are they *****ing about those games?

So IF we win our final 6 and become a national seed...then those early loses to the bad teams didn't really hurt now did it?

Rice lost a series to Mid Tenn St and a midweek game vs Lamar. Do you think their fans are happy that they're in the top 10 and a possible national seed or are they *****ing about those games?
They're a proud program, they're probably not happy about the losses, but as long as it all works out--they'll be happy. That's the reality of most fanbases. Rice isn't some johnny-come-lately Cinderella either...they're a solid baseball program that really shouldn't be dropping games like that...just like we shouldn't drop games to the likes of Stetson and Bethune-Cookman.

But...this is baseball, and **** does happen. When it happens a lot and becomes a trend year-over-year is when you get reactions like Antwan's, which to me is completely understandable. He's simply being more reluctant to buy in because it still feels like (even to me) that we're just waiting on the other shoe to drop in the form of a Super Regional disappointment on the road at McKethan or **** Howser.

So IF we win our final 6 and become a national seed...then those early loses to the bad teams didn't really hurt now did it?
They sure as **** made life a lot harder to get to that national seed than it would have been otherwise. There's no two ways to spin this--those were and still are bad losses. The success we continue to have only makes those bad losses not sting as badly. We still played them this season, and they still count against our RPI/ranking/postseason prospects. We can't just ignore them and go "la-la-la22-2 in last 24la-la-la" in the corner when they're brought up. The committee isn't going to do that.

I'll answer your question with this one: What if we would have taken care of business and won those games against bad teams (as good teams normally do), and then still had this impressive streak down the stretch?

Answer: We would be discussing a possible #1 or #2 overall seed as opposed to maybe making the ever-important Top 8. That's what those early-season bad losses cost us. And that's why it's frustrating, streak not withstanding.

I don't care who we played the last 24. Winning 22 out if 24 is extremely difficult. Before it was we lost to notre dame we can't host a regional. Now it is all about hosting a super regional. And if we accomplish that did we win it all?

Some if you guys are ridiculous. I'm enjoying following this team if you aren't I'm not sure why you follow any team.

Jim Morris will be back next year so if that bothers you too much than go root for another school.

Expectations are very high for this baseball program, and those expectations have not been met for five straight years. People get fired for things like that. And the question is ABSOLUTELY about hosting a Super Regional. That's what Miami baseball does. What people don't understand is how you stood by and defended the garbage we put out there for five years.

And there is the difference, your focus is backwards. Not once have I defended the last 5 years, not once. Over and over again I have reacted when fans bash this team THIS TEAM, during a great recovery season. Yes we get it, they should not have lost 3 of the games they did, we get it, blah blah blah blah. RPI impacted, we go it.
RPI Phd Antwan, geez. Meanwhile folks keep getting their jollies pointing the negatives of the season out in the midst of a 22-2 run that programs all over America would be proud of. Lets work on this year, THIS YEAR! CHEER the team on, stop whining about the past 5 years, lets focus on THIS year. Go Canes!

So is what you're saying its a NC or bust? If I told you after 5 subpar years we're in the top 10 in the polls and in first place in the ACC with 6 games to go before the season started you wouldn't have been happy? Or would your first response be "well who did we lose to?"

No, it's Omaha or bust. Unapologetically Omaha or bust.

No, my question would be "what does our resume look like"? Being in the top ten in the polls means zero. Absolutely nothing. Being in first place in the ACC is awesome and is currently our only saving grace. But the disclaimer there is "with 6 games to go". If we lose the lead, any chance of a national seed is gone.

So tell me...before the year started what did you expect? Did you think we were a top 10 team or a lock to host a regional with a good chance to be a national seed?

My hope is to always make Omaha as well...and we were spoiled with that for years. Of course I would love to make it back this year, but I also understand we have a bunch of freshman playing and our best hitter (DT) out for the year. I'm enjoing this season and will be cheering them on during the regionals and hopefully super regionals, but I'm not going to nitpick every little thing.

Great post - truly challenge these negative folks about their expectations and attitude towards the Canes.

Advertisement

Complaining about it over and over really does work wonders huh??

Then why don't you enjoy the winning in the regular season

I am. None of this happens until CT or tx posts one of their dumb *** comments about "where are all the negative posts now?". I start game threads for crying out loud. This would all go away, but some people can't leave well enough alone. At that point I have to be condescending and talk down to them like the idiots that they are.

Rice lost a series to Mid Tenn St and a midweek game vs Lamar. Do you think their fans are happy that they're in the top 10 and a possible national seed or are they ****ing about those games?

Rice has zero losses against teams in the 200+ range. We have four. Their RPI is #5. Ours is #16. If you're going to pick a team to compare us to, find one that has a similar resume.

Obviously. Welcome to 2009-2013. "It's early. Everyone loses some games like these". Then we lose more than other teams and miss out on a national seed. If you'll notice, some other teams don't need to go 6-0 to secure their national seed.

Advertisement

77.jpg
Better?

Advertisement
^^^^That's the level of discussion I expect around here. When things get too tough to debate, post funny pictures.

I see two different levels of expectations here.

I fail to see where calling out someone for being negative is going to generate a positive response from that individual whether he is right or wrong.

^^^^That's the level of discussion I expect around here. When things get too tough to debate, post funny pictures.

Seriously, you're going to hurt yourself up on that high horse.
What's there to debate, you want to bytch about losses that there's nothing you can do about, did they hurt, yes, does that change anything, no, so feel free to calculate the 'what-if' RPI till you're blue. I on the other hand will take joy in the season and see where we end up. I think that's kinda the whole point of a season.

Waahh Waahh. I will jump on someone for going crazy when we lose the 2nd game of the season and deem the season to be over because we lose one game at home to Notre Dame after winning a boatload of games in a row. Truly pathetic.

Advertisement
Back