UM vs FGCU - Canes win 7-3

Angry Ibis

The []_[]
Premium
7-3 Canes Win

- Got out of the top of the 5th inning stranding the bases loaded with a K.
- Salas only lasted 4 2/3 innings.
- Woodrey with a solid 2 1/3 innings including the big K to end the threat in the 5th.
- Hammond strikes out the side in the 8th
- Garcia closes it out

- 3 errors, 3 unearned runs

- Ruiz back at 3rd - confirmed - singled, to 2nd on sac bunt, scored on Carey's RBI single in the 6th.

- 2 RBI double by Lopez in the 7th to take the score to 7-3 Canes.

According to announcers: Salas did not have the best control - walks/HBP, Miami has been aggressive on the base paths stealing and hit and run. 7 errors in last 3 games

Game is on the radio at:
http://wvum.org/index.php/wvum/stream/?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=28700

22 of last 24

Go Canes!!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
4-3 Canes bottom 5.

- Just struck got out of the top of the 5th inning stranding the bases loaded with a K.

- 3 errors

- Ruiz back at 3rd

I thought he tore his labrum?

I swear I heard them say Ruiz, then commented on his first game back, then he immediately made an error.

- Came in as pinch hitter for Rivera. Stayed in.
- Singled in the 6th.

It is Ruiz.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seriously anyone complaining about the baseball team at this point should go pound sand. 22-2, now STFU and enjoy the ride.

//yeah I'm gettin salty.

Seriously anyone complaining about the baseball team at this point should go pound sand. 22-2, now STFU and enjoy the ride.

//yeah I'm gettin salty.

I hate errors and bad baseball as much as the next guy, but you still have to win the ugly ones. And we are.

But -- we need to clean up the fielding and fast.

Advertisement

//yeah I'm gettin salty.

I hate errors and bad baseball as much as the next guy, but you still have to win the ugly ones. And we are.

That's the bottom line

//yeah I'm gettin salty.

This. I'm tickled that we're doing as well as we are, and FGCU is a quality mid-major team. They're 2nd in the A-Sun to Mercer by a half-game, and Mercer's ranked 24th by Baseball America in the most recent poll. Sweeping them for the season is kind of a big deal. Sure--it's something we're supposed to do to mid-major squads, but sweeping the season series against them is at least somewhat impressive given how good of a squad they are this year.

Agreed completely on the fielding, though. We can't afford to give better teams than FGCU errors that allow easy scoring opportunities. In the 5th last night, we could have let the game get away from us with the bases loaded, but escaped that thanks to a big strikeout by Woodrey. But...against better teams that we'll see in the postseason, we can't rely on a middle reliever to sit down a guy with the bases juiced. We have to execute better defensively, and make sure the bases don't get loaded due to our own errors.

On to the last 2 series of ACC play. Go visit Duke, host UNC. Then head back up for the ACC Tourney in Greensboro. Need to finish strong...if we do, I feel that an ACC Tourney finals appearance might give us enough juice to reel in a Top 8 seed by the skin of our teeth.

Advertisement
Need to finish strong...if we do, I feel that an ACC Tourney finals appearance might give us enough juice to reel in a Top 8 seed by the skin of our teeth.

Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt both have us just outside the top 8 in the national seed discussion. They believe that if we end up taking sole possession of first place in the ACC, then we will get a national seed. But they both have Virginia ultimately winning that #1 spot, keeping the national seeds with Virginia and Florida State.

My earlier concern was making a regional, then I was concerned about hosting a regional, everything else is gravy at this point IMO.
I think this team has the ability to go deep in the postseason, the pitching is solid and the hitting is coming around, when they play error free ball they're tough to beat.
I'm really impressed at how all the "freshman's" have come around.

Advertisement
Few things that caught my ear listening to the game --- again, I did not watch the game and wasn't there to see it live -

- defense at 3rd was an issue yesterday
- errors by Rivera and Ruiz
- there was at least one more hard hit ball ruled a hit that Ruiz did not come up with

Without seeing the plays it is hard to judge, so I am not going to overreact, but I think these are the things that bring pause to the celebration.

Can we win against good teams with walks, HBP and errors? - Most would say no when the margin of error is greatly reduced against better hitters and facing better pitchers.

Ruiz - I understand he was hurt and it is his first game back, but the most critical of us would ask, wasn't he taking grounders when he was out.

Need to finish strong...if we do, I feel that an ACC Tourney finals appearance might give us enough juice to reel in a Top 8 seed by the skin of our teeth.

Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt both have us just outside the top 8 in the national seed discussion. They believe that if we end up taking sole possession of first place in the ACC, then we will get a national seed. But they both have Virginia ultimately winning that #1 spot, keeping the national seeds with Virginia and Florida State.
It's going to be interesting down the stretch here...so basically, they're saying we need to be atop the ACC at the end of the Regular Season, then win the Tourney to get a Top 8?

If we do all of that, and don't get a national seed, we'd **** well better be #9.

Can we win against good teams with walks, HBP and errors? - Most would say no when the margin of error is greatly reduced against better hitters and facing better pitchers.

The million dollar question. The best team we've played during the 22-2 stretch is on the 2/3-seed bubble. It's gon' get real when we have to get through a #2 from the SEC and then a #1 from who knows where.

It's going to be interesting down the stretch here...so basically, they're saying we need to be atop the ACC at the end of the Regular Season, then win the Tourney to get a Top 8?

If we do all of that, and don't get a national seed, we'd **** well better be #9.

No, I think they're only talking about the regular season standings. If we finish as the #1 seed, we get a national seed according to them.

As for the #8 or #9 thing, there is no difference between #9 and #13 and #16. You're just a host, and they send teams to you based on geography. FIU, for example, is going to be in our region no matter what seed we are (assuming we host). And the #2 will be the best geographic fit. People have begged the committee to give the #1 team the worst #2 seed, for example, but they don't.

Advertisement
Back