UM vs FGCU - Canes win 7-3

It's going to be interesting down the stretch here...so basically, they're saying we need to be atop the ACC at the end of the Regular Season, then win the Tourney to get a Top 8?

If we do all of that, and don't get a national seed, we'd **** well better be #9.

No, I think they're only talking about the regular season standings. If we finish as the #1 seed, we get a national seed according to them.

As for the #8 or #9 thing, there is no difference between #9 and #13 and #16. You're just a host, and they send teams to you based on geography. FIU, for example, is going to be in our region no matter what seed we are (assuming we host). And the #2 will be the best geographic fit. People have begged the committee to give the #1 team the worst #2 seed, for example, but they don't.
Well, I'm thinking more ahead to Super Regional play as far as that goes. I'd rather be the 9 and play the 8 if it comes to that, as opposed to being a lower seed and playing a higher national seed (IF seeds hold). At that point, it all comes down to matchups and pitching anyways.

Advertisement
That's what I'm saying though. There is no such thing as #9. It's 1-8 and then the other 8 hosts in no order. Whether Florida is #1 or #8, we're probably going to be paired with them.

That's what I'm saying though. There is no such thing as #9. It's 1-8 and then the other 8 hosts in no order. Whether Florida is #1 or #8, we're probably going to be paired with them.
I understand now. I always thought those pairings were stricter w/regards to seeding (see F$U being paired w/Indiana last year...not exactly geographical). My fault there.

Either way...I hope if we're the first team out of the Top 8 (per the selection committee), that our pairings in at least the Regional will be easier than the final school the other host schools outside of the Top 8...that would be only right. Since it's all going to be on geography, who the fvck knows.

I did find Perfect Game's Regional predictions (linked below, updated today). Looks like we would indeed be paired with UFayg w/them as the #2 overall seed. Tough Regional matchups between Miss State & FIU, and Columbia's got a decent (current) RPI for an Ivy League squad (48)...2 slots better than FIU at this point as well.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9847

...and that folks, is why some of us were up in arms about losing to the likes of Maine, Bethune-Cookman, and Stetson earlier this season. Even if we host and win a Regional, losses like those put us in a Super Regional AT either F$U or UFayg. That's not the ideal way to get to Omaha.

...and that folks, is why some of us were up in arms about losing to the likes of Maine, Bethune-Cookman, and Stetson earlier this season. Even if we host and win a Regional, losses like those put us in a Super Regional AT either F$U or UFayg. That's not the ideal way to get to Omaha.

Truth. I plugged in two more wins and two fewer losses, and with just two more wins against any of those garbage teams, our RPI jumps from .5854 to .5973. And THAT would be good enough for #7 in the RPI right now, and we would be a stone cold lock for a national seed. You folks remember that the next time you tell us that "it's just one loss" against a team ranked #232.

Truth. I plugged in two more wins and two fewer losses, and with just two more wins against any of those garbage teams, our RPI jumps from .5854 to .5973. And THAT would be good enough for #7 in the RPI right now, and we would be a stone cold lock for a national seed. You folks remember that the next time you tell us that "it's just one loss" against a team ranked #232.
82.gif

Advertisement

82.gif
It's not a dead horse. It's an extremely valid point. One that a lot of people still don't get (or won't acknowledge). And, it will probably be met with "22-2 in the last 24" again...but that doesn't change our RPI enough to avoid a trip to McKethan or **** Howser. That's reality.

82.gif
It's not a dead horse. It's an extremely valid point. One that a lot of people still don't get (or won't acknowledge). And, it will probably be met with "22-2 in the last 24" again...but that doesn't change our RPI enough to avoid a trip to McKethan or **** Howser. That's reality.

Do you understand how asinine you look at this point? You're still trying to win an argument from months ago, reality is there's nothing you can do about it now and many of us were unhappy when they lost.
I finally see now for some it's about being right and has nothing to do with supporting the baseball team, carry on.

Do you understand how asinine you look at this point? You're still trying to win an argument from months ago, reality is there's nothing you can do about it now and many of us were unhappy when they lost.
I finally see now for some it's about being right and has nothing to do with supporting the baseball team, carry on.
I'm still extremely supportive of the team. Me pointing out a real thing that's sitting here staring at us in black and white takes NOTHING from that. As for "winning an argument"...I can still be right about all of that and still support the team. They're not mutually exclusive!

And after the BS thrown at myself, Antwan, and a few others by some on here for saying that those early losses could hurt us down the road...pardon me for feeling vindicated when it's happening. I'm not happy about it, but I'm not going to let this go w/o pointing it out...especially when it's slapping us right in the face. Back when that stuff was being debated, we were afraid it would keep us out of the postseason this year, which is upsetting. Now, we're a postseason lock...but the unfortunate thing about those early losses is that we still pay a price: likely going on the road if we make it to the Super Regional against UFayg/F$U.

We have a chance to overcome that stuff by finishing the regular season atop the ACC (according to what Antwan quoted from Aaron Fitt/Kendall Rogers), but we're going to have to play really well against Duke/UNC to help make those bad early losses that were debated at length a moot point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm still extremely supportive of the team. Me pointing out a real thing that's sitting here staring at us in black and white takes NOTHING from that. As for "winning an argument"...I can still be right about all of that and still support the team. They're not mutually exclusive!

And after the BS thrown at myself, Antwan, and a few others by some on here for saying that those early losses could hurt us down the road...pardon me for feeling vindicated when it's happening. I'm not happy about it, but I'm not going to let this go w/o pointing it out...especially when it's slapping us right in the face. Back when that stuff was being debated, we were afraid it would keep us out of the postseason this year, which is upsetting. Now, we're a postseason lock...but the unfortunate thing about those early losses is that we still pay a price: likely going on the road if we make it to the Super Regional against UFayg/F$U.

We have a chance to overcome that stuff by finishing the regular season atop the ACC (according to what Antwan quoted from Aaron Fitt/Kendall Rogers), but we're going to have to play really well against Duke/UNC to help make those bad early losses that were debated at length a moot point.

Fair enough and my apologies for the name calling, it was unnecessary.

I don't care who we played the last 24. Winning 22 out if 24 is extremely difficult. Before it was we lost to notre dame we can't host a regional. Now it is all about hosting a super regional. And if we accomplish that did we win it all?

Some if you guys are ridiculous. I'm enjoying following this team if you aren't I'm not sure why you follow any team.

Jim Morris will be back next year so if that bothers you too much than go root for another school.

Last edited:
Seriously anyone complaining about the baseball team at this point should go pound sand. 22-2, now STFU and enjoy the ride.

//yeah I'm gettin salty.

Keep it up - these negative posters are getting on my nerves. The odds are we will not win a NC, and if we do not they will pounce and see told you so. Really - is that what you live for? How about enjoying the improvement and cheer then on instead of jeering??

Advertisement
I don't care who we played the last 24. Winning 22 out if 24 is extremely difficult. Before it was we lost to notre dame we can't host a regional. Now it is all about hosting a super regional. And if we accomplish that did we win it all?

Some if you guys are ridiculous. I'm enjoying following this team if you aren't I'm not sure why you follow any team.

Jim Morris will be back next year so if that bothers you too much than go root for another school.

Thx!

Expectations are very high for this baseball program, and those expectations have not been met for five straight years. People get fired for things like that. And the question is ABSOLUTELY about hosting a Super Regional. That's what Miami baseball does. What people don't understand is how you stood by and defended the garbage we put out there for five years.

Advertisement

Months ago? We lost to #161 and #204 in the last three weeks. As for "being right", we were right for the last five years while people were telling us that "it's just one loss", "it's early", "we'll be fine". Well, those people were wrong and never owned up to it. I'm glad that you people are excited about hosting, but isn't that the minimum expectation around here?

So is what you're saying its a NC or bust? If I told you after 5 subpar years we're in the top 10 in the polls and in first place in the ACC with 6 games to go before the season started you wouldn't have been happy? Or would your first response be "well who did we lose to?"

So is what you're saying its a NC or bust? If I told you after 5 subpar years we're in the top 10 in the polls and in first place in the ACC with 6 games to go before the season started you wouldn't have been happy? Or would your first response be "well who did we lose to?"

No, it's Omaha or bust. Unapologetically Omaha or bust.

No, my question would be "what does our resume look like"? Being in the top ten in the polls means zero. Absolutely nothing. Being in first place in the ACC is awesome and is currently our only saving grace. But the disclaimer there is "with 6 games to go". If we lose the lead, any chance of a national seed is gone.

No, it's Omaha or bust. Unapologetically Omaha or bust.

No, my question would be "what does our resume look like"? Being in the top ten in the polls means zero. Absolutely nothing. Being in first place in the ACC is awesome and is currently our only saving grace. But the disclaimer there is "with 6 games to go". If we lose the lead, any chance of a national seed is gone.

So tell me...before the year started what did you expect? Did you think we were a top 10 team or a lock to host a regional with a good chance to be a national seed?

My hope is to always make Omaha as well...and we were spoiled with that for years. Of course I would love to make it back this year, but I also understand we have a bunch of freshman playing and our best hitter (DT) out for the year. I'm enjoing this season and will be cheering them on during the regionals and hopefully super regionals, but I'm not going to nitpick every little thing.

Advertisement
Back