UM Students

Leave basketball alone people... Take it somewhere else. Ask for a meeting with admin. I am sure someone will sit down with you. You are disrespecting Coach L and your fellow students who are leaving it all on the court and getting W's. It is classless to be a distraction to them.

Advertisement
Google michigan student football protests. Risk your future? LOL students run universities and if there is a crack down it will kill admissions. That is a secret that administrators fear.

True.
Having one or two students carrying signs is not as effective as having 30-50 students in front of the Hecht or Greentree field with signs.
The big question is: Do we have enough students who care about winning who are willing to exercise their freedom of assembly? That's in amendment 1 of the constitution (Freedom of peaceful association)

I would be down to do something in front of the Hecht. It's up to Willy at the end of the day.

It's gonna be even hard to get that big of a group and keep it peaceful. That's what they want us to do to then make us look like irrational lunatics even if we are peaceful. Right now they are taking things away from us. I like the shirt idea because one of two things will happen

1) it will get noticed in the arena and could be picked up by media, or
2) they ask us to leave and then what will their reason be?
I am not one who says you're doing this for notoriety but you are giving the impression you are.
A gathering of students in front of the Hecht will turn violent? Give me a break. Are those students with militancy background or something?
It is not about a few students seen on TV asking for Golden to be fired. It's about enough students showing disgust with the current affair of the football program and demanding change.
The problem to me is, you are not active in the student body to galvanize enough student support. With all due respect you seem to be a lone activist. While admirable, it is ineffective. To force change you need support.
You remind me of the 1-2 union workers with signs in front of Walmart stores.

Google michigan student football protests. Risk your future? LOL students run universities and if there is a crack down it will kill admissions. That is a secret that administrators fear.

True.
Having one or two students carrying signs is not as effective as having 30-50 students in front of the Hecht or Greentree field with signs.
The big question is: Do we have enough students who care about winning who are willing to exercise their freedom of assembly? That's in amendment 1 of the constitution (Freedom of peaceful association)

I would be down to do something in front of the Hecht. It's up to Willy at the end of the day.

It's gonna be even hard to get that big of a group and keep it peaceful. That's what they want us to do to then make us look like irrational lunatics even if we are peaceful. Right now they are taking things away from us. I like the shirt idea because one of two things will happen

1) it will get noticed in the arena and could be picked up by media, or
2) they ask us to leave and then what will their reason be?
I am not one who says you're doing this for notoriety but you are giving the impression you are.
A gathering of students in front of the Hecht will turn violent? Give me a break. Are those students with militancy background or something?
It is not about a few students seen on TV asking for Golden to be fired. It's about enough students showing disgust with the current affair of the football program and demanding change.
The problem to me is, you are not active in the student body to galvanize enough student support. With all due respect you seem to be a lone activist. While admirable, it is ineffective. To force change you need support.
You remind me of the 1-2 union workers with signs in front of Walmart stores.

I am not doing this for notoriety I can assure you of that. I didn't intend for all of it to happen.

It's not that I am not active in the student body. Far from it. The fact is that a lot of students fall into 2 categories: they don't care enough, or they don't want to risk getting in trouble. I'm all for doing things the right way and getting heard.

Leave basketball alone people... Take it somewhere else. Ask for a meeting with admin. I am sure someone will sit down with you. You are disrespecting Coach L and your fellow students who are leaving it all on the court and getting W's. It is classless to be a distraction to them.

They won't meet with us. We tried meeting with Blake to help Renew the Rivalry and he wouldn't even get back to us. Not even a response. Nothing.

I am sure if you called someone in marketing or development they would sit down with you....it does not need to be Blake... I see this all the time in business everyone wants the same thing but are to far off in perception to sit down and talk about it. your a leader my friend call them up and set up a meeting.

Advertisement
For those saying not to take away from basketball and those saying I'm attention seeking, I need you to hear me out.

This admin gets away with too much. They ignore everything we do. Basketball games are a UM athletic event where decision makers are at. If they want to ignore us and insult us with some of their responses, we are going to get our point across and they have left us no choice but to do it there.

Also, they have taken it a step too far in taking signs. They know it wasn't a rule when they did it. It may be now, but it wasn't then. It was their way of censoring us. They can hide behind the no sign rule but what will they say when I have a shirt on? Ask me to leave? Prove they are censoring? This is much bigger than Golden now. This is about fighting for our right to express our opinion in a peaceful and appropriate way. I didn't break a rule and I was treated like I did. Do I sit back and take it? Or stick up for myself?

I've been a Cane fan since I was a little guy. I support Coach L and the team. That's why I attend the game. I cheer, I support and I follow them. Wearing a shirt with a message doesn't take away from me doing any of those things.

I am sure if you called someone in marketing or development they would sit down with you....it does not need to be Blake... I see this all the time in business everyone wants the same thing but are to far off in perception to sit down and talk about it. your a leader my friend call them up and set up a meeting.

What good will those people be? They will just listen, and respond with a so customer service type "we understand" response, move on and do nothing.

You pick up the phone or send an email and discuss it with those you are trying to influence.

You have a right to feel the way you do but handle it face to face... Have a meeting with someone in the department. I am sure they will take your meeting. Be a leader and handle stuff with them off the message boards and in person.

For those saying not to take away from basketball and those saying I'm attention seeking, I need you to hear me out.

This admin gets away with too much. They ignore everything we do. Basketball games are a UM athletic event where decision makers are at. If they want to ignore us and insult us with some of their responses, we are going to get our point across and they have left us no choice but to do it there.

Also, they have taken it a step too far in taking signs. They know it wasn't a rule when they did it. It may be now, but it wasn't then. It was their way of censoring us. They can hide behind the no sign rule but what will they say when I have a shirt on? Ask me to leave? Prove they are censoring? This is much bigger than Golden now. This is about fighting for our right to express our opinion in a peaceful and appropriate way. I didn't break a rule and I was treated like I did. Do I sit back and take it? Or stick up for myself?

I've been a Cane fan since I was a little guy. I support Coach L and the team. That's why I attend the game. I cheer, I support and I follow them. Wearing a shirt with a message doesn't take away from me doing any of those things.

1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute.jpg

Advertisement
You are digging in on perceived feelings. Many good alums working in the AD who would talk with you. At worst you may get a free lunch out of it.

Willy, you're like the Rosa Parks of Generation Z.

Give the kid some constructive advice. i am sure he is not making any friends at the university. There is a win win for him if he explores it. Not just listening to a bunch of know it all board posters who just want blood and could care less about the university as a whole

Advertisement
You're right. Willy needs to start handing out flyers, communicating grievances and creating some kind of campus club/group for those that are fed up and unhappy. Become a leader of men, and form a task force to invoke change. Your charter should be more focused on protecting student free speech and getting your money's worth for the Athletic Fees you are forced to pay than blatantly attacking Al Golden. That way it has longevity and accountability on campus and you cant be targeted by campus administrators for 'inciting' anyone and personal attacks.

Not a student but if the BOT doesn't care why should you? Eventually the administration will realize their mistakes, don't get in trouble over it.

Advertisement
you brought all this negativity on the program.

instead of moving closer to the goal of firing the leadership and the coach, you got some fool to donate a million dollars to support the program.

all your misplaced anger does NOTHING.

I'm really wonder what you guys think will happen.

Do you think Blake James is going to walk by and be like "Fire Al Golden? Why didn't I think of that?"

I don't know how much more blatantly clear the admin has to be to show you that no one is getting fired this year.

Advertisement
Back