UM staff pushing for 4-star local DT Lyons

View as article
This just seems like Miami is gonna slow play a lot of guys and try and sign a super top heavy class of like 15 players. Probably not how I’d do it, but they gotta get back under 85 scholarship players this offseason. Dangerous game Manny is playing, hopefully it doesn’t blow up in his face.

Advertisement
I really don't mind dipping into TP for DT since you can get more proven guys and in reality, unless you are talking about a 5 star guy like LT, you are only going to get 1-2 productive years from a DT. So why not dip into the portal and get a proven guy for 1-2 years? Especially with Jess Simpson's reputation we should have guys lining up

Lyons is a take all day, but I agree with the poster above. I think manny is looking to take a small and selective class. If you don’t blow their doors off or want to drag the process out, Miami is going to pass for the time being.

I don’t hate the plan because the transfer portal is going to be stacked this year and a lot of teams won’t be able to utilize it. The only thing I’m worried about is how this impacts our relationships with high schools.

Advertisement
Lyons is a take all day, but I agree with the poster above. I think manny is looking to take a small and selective class. If you don’t blow their doors off or want to drag the process out, Miami is going to pass for the time being.

I don’t hate the plan because the transfer portal is going to be stacked this year and a lot of teams won’t be able to utilize it. The only thing I’m worried about is how this impacts our relationships with high schools.
100%. I get the big game hunting, but you can’t ignore local studs from feeder schools and allow your biggest rival to cherry pick. They did this with Patrick Payton last year, who should have been a take.

Advertisement
100%. I get the big game hunting, but you can’t ignore local studs from feeder schools and allow your biggest rival to cherry pick. They did this with Patrick Payton last year, who should have been a take.
I think the problem is kids like Lyons & Anderson don't fit the physical profile of what we're now looking for, Lyons being another 3T and we're losing bigger bodies Ford/Nesta after this year. Anderson may not be able to reach the desired weight and strength we need.

Regardless of whether or not we are still in the running for some bigger fish, the fact remains this can’t look good especially locally with HS coaches. Not saying Lyons should or should not be in our ‘22 class, but the optics of things can’t be looking great right now. That, and letting FSU horde all of the local talent gives Marky Mike inroads that’s we had effectively cutoff with Willy. We have got to do a better job of protecting our local turf.

In what ******* book is an undersized DT and a DT who’s own DC said had weight and motor issues an A+ haul?

Did you read what I wrote? It's a fail because we pursued them over pursuing other options. So accepting your argument for the moment, that means Stroud & Simpson failed to put together a proper board.

That said, I disagree with your premise. Macho never said Tarber had weight and motor issues. He said there was legit concern he wouldn't follow through on plays. That's an entirely different problem and certainly correctable if the kid is willing to work through the issue. The talent is there in spades.

As fas as Lyons being undersized, when are we going to stop with that excuse for not finding talent? He's within the standard deviation. Nesta is undersized and we took him, we passed Klancey and we should have taken him. I can recall 3-4 others just like that. Should we not have taken Couch or Quan or Trent Harris or Harley or Bevin or King because they were undersized? If they're a baller, bring em in and craft your system around the talent you have available, especially if there are limited options.

I don’t have a plan c. This interior line class sucks if you’re not getting a premier guy and Lyons isn’t one of them. They’re probably betting on one of the DTs of Miller, Ford, or Nesta coming back(probably Jordan) and grabbing a transfer. If somebody pops up that they like in between then they’ll probably take a look.
Even if Ford wants to pull of a Van Wilder and come back for another year he’s out of eligibility unless he RS this season.

Advertisement
If we legitimately are in it for Lucas, then I retract everything I said before on Lyons. Lucas would be my top target without a doubt.
I think we have a shot with him but I believe he was set on being recruited as a DE. Maybe we convinced him otherwise

Imo this is just a weird year where alot just seems quiet everywhere tbh for uncommitted kids and especially here outside of the CBs because they committed early. I trust Simpson no doubt he's proven himself but I couldn't say what I think will happen when this year more then any I don't have a vibe of any positions

"Simpson no doubt he's proven himself"

as a coach I would agree.
as a recruiter...I would say that he doesn't have a big enough sample size to say "no doubt he's proven himself"

Advertisement
If we take Tarbor this week, then we know what's up. He's the solid, local guy. They'll shoot for the moon with Lucas with Tarbor in the boat.

Myron Green is intriguing. I'm going to ask our CC coach here about him.

Laziness is a bit of a strong word though.
A lazy player doesn't fire off the ball, doesn't come to practice, doesn't run sprints, doesn't lift weights, doesn't take-on double teams, etc.
Tarber works.

Nobody said he was "lazy", some schools just want to see him show more motor. (i.e. chasing plays down, etc)

On the snap of the ball, at the point of attack, there's no DT better than Tarber in the entire state arguably. That's never been his issue. It's continuing that effort AFTER the first 2 seconds of the play that schools want to see.

If JHH has a a big year and leaves with Silvera and Ford I can see miami turning up the heat on Myron Green the JC DT from Miss who visited recently,looked impressive on the clips I saw.He would be a nice mix with the young DTs returning.
That’s the thing with DT this year. Yes it’s a small class and coaches are being selective, but we’ll likely lose 3 guys after this year. We need a guy like Lyons IMO even if it takes some number working to get him in.

Advertisement
Back