UM not worried ~ 3rd Down; Kaaya # 1 in 'Money Downs' in US

It's really pathetic that they are trying to make it sound like things are just fine, because they are converting 4th downs against crap teams. Again, how are we ever going to win anything while converting 30% of our third downs? This is just plain stupid, and NO ONE is buying it.
That's the funniest thing Ive ever read

Advertisement

“With our defense, as our defense has improved over the last 15 games, so has our ability to go for it on fourth,” Coach Al Golden said. “If it takes four downs, it takes four downs. They’re both money downs to us.”

I know I opened this thread yet this thing is perplexing at me. I've heard the term 'Money Down', but only from a Defensive perspective. This is as in 'money down' amount of 3rd down conversion rate plays it takes for a defense to get off the field. This is also most commonly used for a 3rd down conversion. But with UM's Al Golden, he uses this terminology not for his Defense, but for his offense. Moreover, he utilizes the term to virtually equate a 4th down to a 3rd down conversion. I don't think I have ever heard of this usage before, for both Offensive purposes and for 4th down (when combined with a 3rd down) conversion rate.

It can be granted objectively that Al Golden is selling 4th down plays as a means to make his 3rd down conversion rate and play calling seem NOT as pathetic as they are.

However, did our Al Golden invent, for 4th down plays with an offense, this spin or usage of 'Money Downs' ?

“With our defense, as our defense has improved over the last 15 games, so has our ability to go for it on fourth,” Coach Al Golden said. “If it takes four downs, it takes four downs. They’re both money downs to us.”

I know I opened this thread yet this thing is perplexing at me. I've heard the term 'Money Down', but only from a Defensive perspective. This is as in 'money down' amount of 3rd down conversion rate plays it takes for a defense to get off the field. This is also most commonly used for a 3rd down conversion. But with UM's Al Golden, he uses this terminology not for his Defense, but for his offense. Moreover, he utilizes the term to virtually equate a 4th down to a 3rd down conversion. I don't think I have ever heard of this usage before, for both Offensive purposes and for 4th down (when combined with a 3rd down) conversion rate.

It can be granted objectively that Al Golden is selling 4th down plays as a means to make his 3rd down conversion rate and play calling seem NOT as pathetic as they are.

However, did our Al Golden invent, for 4th down plays with an offense, this spin or usage of 'Money Downs' ?

It appears that The Fraudster has redefined the "money shot" into the money down.

2011: 3rd down, 63/148 (43%) 4th down, 8/17 (47%) Money down, 71/148 (48%)
2012: 3rd down, 67/170 (39%) 4th down, 8/17 (47%) Money down, 75/170 (44%)
2013: 3rd down, 56/160 (35%) 4th down, 9/18 (50%) Money down, 65/160 (41%)
2014: 3rd down, 60/163 (37%) 4th down, 14/23 (61%) Money down, 74/163 (45%)

So, if you do Golden's bull**** money down conversion we average 44% on "money downs" over his tenure here. And that would place Miami in the 30s of third down conversions in the country not factoring in other teams juking the stats like our piece of **** HC is.

Golden said 45% is the goal. What he failed to mention is that that's the goal for 3rd downs for your average team. I imagine you want your conversion rate to be higher when you factor in 4th downs. You can't treat 3rd downs and 4th downs the same because the ramifications for failing one compared to the other are not the same.

Any other team with a bad third down conversion rate would be trying to find a new O.C. Unfortunatley, in Coral Gables Folden feels its not important because 4th down conversion rates are all that matters.

Advertisement
when you actually think about it, should not their 3rd down conversions go down if they don't necessarily plan on getting all their yards for a first down?

Sounds to me from the article that is now a pre-planned strategy as opposed to making up for failing to get a 3rd down. But I guess they could be lying. As long as their 4th down conversions increase and drives are sustained I can live with that.

I think GT's Johnson has a similar philosophy. If they are getting at least 3 yards a pop in their offense, they can sustain drives by going for it on 4th just from a statistical standpoint. It is not then as risky as it seems.

GT is a horrible comparison. Their offense actually has an identity and consistently pick up small chunks of yards. ours does not. like coley saying in the video that they don't know what's coming on 4th down and 7 "it could be a run". they don't know what's coming bc our play calling on offense is so f*cking random without a clear strategy to it.

If that's the case that our "money play" is pulled out of a hat, then sure; but that is not what I am getting from what they are saying

I would think they would have a bank of plays that have been successful given certain downs and distances they can draw from. Maybe at first it is a little trial and error, but trial and error would be a stupid strategy to use consistently.

when you actually think about it, should not their 3rd down conversions go down if they don't necessarily plan on getting all their yards for a first down?

Sounds to me from the article that is now a pre-planned strategy as opposed to making up for failing to get a 3rd down. But I guess they could be lying. As long as their 4th down conversions increase and drives are sustained I can live with that.

I think GT's Johnson has a similar philosophy. If they are getting at least 3 yards a pop in their offense, they can sustain drives by going for it on 4th just from a statistical standpoint. It is not then as risky as it seems.

You bought that? P.T. Barnum was right.

PT Barnum is cool 'cause he knows

Firing Day is 74 away.

As we are now at the top of the slide, might as well enjoy the trip down. Get up and dance.

[video=youtube;3PyLFzcTiYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyLFzcTiYA[/video]

Banner says: Make Miami Great Again - Butch Davis 2016

The Youtube account with the banner video was terminated.

Saw the Corch Coley vid where he clearly and succinctly explains that 4th down is the new 3rd down and 3rd down is the new 2nd down for Miami. I think the 4th down (really our 3rd down, try to keep up) is the Caffe Bustello course ground (or is it grind?) package within the Espresso tempo offense. I think we should start playing our games on Monday nights after an Iggles win on Sunday. Dunkin Donuts gives out free coffee on Mondays after an Iggles win. That's like having an extra down, like a 5th down which would really be 4th down for us.

Advertisement
Saw the Corch Coley vid where he clearly and succinctly explains that 4th down is the new 3rd down and 3rd down is the new 2nd down for Miami. I think the 4th down (really our 3rd down, try to keep up) is the Caffe Bustello course ground (or is it grind?) package within the Espresso tempo offense. I think we should start playing our games on Monday nights after an Iggles win on Sunday. Dunkin Donuts gives out free coffee on Mondays after an Iggles win. That's like having an extra down, like a 5th down which would really be 4th down for us.

Based on his used car background, the next down mantra will be the Zero Down.

Here you go Klam, Al's game plan against the Huskers

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbZbEsd_ZrM[/video]

"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

We're all praying for you, bud.

GT is a horrible comparison. Their offense actually has an identity and consistently pick up small chunks of yards. ours does not. like coley saying in the video that they don't know what's coming on 4th down and 7 "it could be a run". they don't know what's coming bc our play calling on offense is so f*cking random without a clear strategy to it.

If that's the case that our "money play" is pulled out of a hat, then sure; but that is not what I am getting from what they are saying

I would think they would have a bank of plays that have been successful given certain downs and distances they can draw from. Maybe at first it is a little trial and error, but trial and error would be a stupid strategy to use consistently.

like a bubble screen to the short side of the field when the defense is in press coverage? you can keep going by what they're saying in interviews. i'll go by what plays i'm seeing called during the game.

Advertisement

you're a moron.

So why is Miami going for it more on fourth down?

Al Golden said his confidence in his defense in the last year-plus is the reason he’s changed his thinking.

“With our defense, as our defense has improved over the last 15 games, so has our ability to go for it on fourth,” Golden said. “If it takes four downs, it takes four downs. They’re both money downs to us. If it takes two, that’s what we’ll do.”
[/B]

Sorry, guys it's a whole other scenario when you see a real game after listening to Al & James!

Al Golden didn't have that 'confidence in his defense' opting for his offense to run up scores (they didn't) on NU rather than scheme plays to run out the clock; he just thought he'd have to just outscore them!

Second, all these freaking 'money downs' braggadocious claims of Golden & Coley were just that; just BS as they had several 3 AND SHORTs for which they never ran them 4th 'Money Downs'

Advertisement

Al Golden said his confidence in his defense in the last year-plus is the reason he’s changed his thinking.

“With our defense, as our defense has improved over the last 15 games, so has our ability to go for it on fourth,” Golden said. “If it takes four downs, it takes four downs. They’re both money downs to us. If it takes two, that’s what we’ll do.”
[/B]

Sorry, guys it's a whole other scenario when you see a real game after listening to Al & James!

Al Golden didn't have that 'confidence in his defense' opting for his offense to run up scores (they didn't) on NU rather than scheme plays to run out the clock; he just thought he'd have to just outscore them!

Second, all these freaking 'money downs' braggadocious claims of Golden & Coley were just that; just BS as they had several 3 AND SHORTs for which they never ran them 4th 'Money Downs'

Miami was 3-14 on 3rd downs against Nebraska. Only Kent State is worse than Miami at converting 3rd downs. I will repeat that - only Kent State is worse than Miami at converting 3rd downs.

3rd down close up.jpg

Same ish different year. It's as if Corley and D'Onofrio have a competition going for least effective coordinator in college football. Winner gets to suckle Al's *****.

[/B]

Miami was 3-14 on 3rd downs against Nebraska. Only Kent State is worse than Miami at converting 3rd downs. I will repeat that - only Kent State is worse than Miami at converting 3rd downs.

View attachment 31884

It's amazing who we keep company with: Massachusetts and Coach Whipple, lol

Same ish different year. It's as if Corley and D'Onofrio have a competition going for least effective coordinator in college football.

But according to our Corch, it's been different “over the last 15 games as 1.) our defense has improved, [and] our 2.) ability to go for it on fourth downs,” Golden said. “If it takes four downs, it takes four downs. [we convert regardless now]” La Belle Difference from the horse's mouth

Advertisement
Back