UM no longer top 50

This is the blind leading the blind on this thread. I'm sorry you ignored me miredinmediocrity but I call it like I see it. UM is not a commuter college, we successfully completed Momentum 1 & 2 and the financial troubles of the medical center were vastly overblown by the press. I know for a fact that the Medical Center has been profitable for the last two years, and it continues to grow. UHealth has been great for healthcare in the region because it has forced major systems, such as Baptist and Miami Children's to also improve their hospitals.

UM graduates are leading the push into creating Miami into an entrepreneurial hub, including the CEO of Magic Leap, which just raised 500 million from Google and other major SV VC firms. UM is as good or better than UF in many areas (marine bio, music, medicine, international finance, tax law) and has other areas to grow.

Yes Miami is expensive but for the top tier students they are trying to attract they offer tons of scholarship money. The alumni network in South Florida is very, very strong in the areas of finance, law and medicine. I speak from my personal experience and friends who graduated from UM.

Listen, I hate the administration just as much as the rest of you guys for what they've done to my beloved football program. I didn't renew my season tickets this year, I've donated to the banners. But to act as if UM slipping from 49 to 51 is a major set back and failure of the administration is a true demonstration your ignorance. And when I'm faced with an issue I don't know a lot about, I shut the f**k up.

Finally, somebody with some sense. I wonder how many people in this thread actually went to the school.

AB & JD here. You?

Yea, I did. Class of '13.

Advertisement
Lol, the classic heel turn, these rankings were quoted like gospel as long as it favored us (and as long as we suck at football), now the apologists are falling over each other in their rush to marginalize its impact on the perception of the school.

I have never given a **** about the US News rankings. No one really does in the real world, unless you went to HYS, or similar.

Lol, the classic heel turn, these rankings were quoted like gospel as long as it favored us (and as long as we suck at football), now the apologists are falling over each other in their rush to marginalize its impact on the perception of the school.

I never hyped that ranking up. The school has a great reputation in the Southeast and is expanding nationally. I can't agree enough with McGahee2TheHouse about the fact that no one cares about the rankings other than the HYS chasers. We are not in the HYS league, but we are a great school, with a beautiful campus, in one of the fastest growing and most desirable cities in the world. People who use the SunTan U comparison are so out of touch with reality, it's like talking to someone who uses a flip phone. It's just a completely different mindset, an obsolete mindset, and one that will never change,

I never hyped that ranking up. The school has a great reputation in the Southeast and is expanding nationally. I can't agree enough with McGahee2TheHouse about the fact that no one cares about the rankings other than the HYS chasers. We are not in the HYS league, but we are a great school, with a beautiful campus, in one of the fastest growing and most desirable cities in the world. People who use the SunTan U comparison are so out of touch with reality, it's like talking to someone who uses a flip phone. It's just a completely different mindset, an obsolete mindset, and one that will never change,

I got news for you buddy, the only place the suntan U mindset is obsolete is within your own alumni base and close proximity to the school itself. Outside of south florida the perception of that school if not suntan U is nothing more or less than "a football school that can't win football games anymore".

I generally don't put any weight into these rankings either, because frankly outside the top 25 or 30, and down to about 100 you can wash them in any order as far as people in other parts of the country are concerned. But for someone making the argument you are making in this thread, a falling placement and dropping behind the in state public school hurts the public perception (again outside your own alumni base) more than you want to admit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

I got news for you buddy, the only place the suntan U mindset is obsolete is within your own alumni base and close proximity to the school itself. Outside of south florida the perception of that school if not suntan U is nothing more or less than "a football school that can't win football games anymore".

I generally don't put any weight into these rankings either, because frankly outside the top 25 or 30, and down to about 100 you can wash them in any order as far as people in other parts of the country are concerned. But for someone making the argument you are making in this thread, a falling placement and dropping behind the in state public school hurts the public perception (again outside your own alumni base) more than you want to admit.

No buddy, let me put this in perspective for you. I've worked in high end biotech in California, I have friends from UM that are getting recruited by top banks, working in Greenwich and NY, I have friends from UM law at top firms in NY, DC and Miami. You are wrong, and no matter how many times you play your same tired, played out song nothing will change that. I have no stakes in the ranking, Miami did well for me and placed me well. I beat out kids from Ivies, top engineering schools for my position.

There are a few, out of touch, usually really old guys who have your perception...and in my experience Gators because they feel threatened. And it's all good, because the school is doing better than it has ever been, regardless of what US News thinks.

This is about as ignorant as it gets, and that's hard to do around here, even for you. The best students in Florida apply to either Miami or Florida, and the cost of Miami eliminates many of them. Students know that Miami is a top-notch school, that's why the mediocre students don't even bother and just apply to FSU, USF and UCF.

The whole Suntan U thing is so 1985. Get with the program.

Where are we among the Power 5 schools? The ones that matter. Northeastern isn't winning any recruiting battles against us. At least show me only the 120+ FBS schools. Then we would definitely be in the Top 40-50

To piggyback on westcoast, Nobody anywhere cares what school you get an undergrad from unless it's Ivy League, Stanford or Caltech.

Have any of you conducted a job search, or did your dads just hook you up with a job?

Everyone in America has a bachelors. I got a bachelors just to get a promotion. It took 18 months. Big deal.

Just win some ******* football games.

Advertisement
This is the blind leading the blind on this thread. I'm sorry you ignored me miredinmediocrity but I call it like I see it. UM is not a commuter college, we successfully completed Momentum 1 & 2 and the financial troubles of the medical center were vastly overblown by the press. I know for a fact that the Medical Center has been profitable for the last two years, and it continues to grow. UHealth has been great for healthcare in the region because it has forced major systems, such as Baptist and Miami Children's to also improve their hospitals.

UM graduates are leading the push into creating Miami into an entrepreneurial hub, including the CEO of Magic Leap, which just raised 500 million from Google and other major SV VC firms. UM is as good or better than UF in many areas (marine bio, music, medicine, international finance, tax law) and has other areas to grow.

Yes Miami is expensive but for the top tier students they are trying to attract they offer tons of scholarship money. The alumni network in South Florida is very, very strong in the areas of finance, law and medicine. I speak from my personal experience and friends who graduated from UM.

Listen, I hate the administration just as much as the rest of you guys for what they've done to my beloved football program. I didn't renew my season tickets this year, I've donated to the banners. But to act as if UM slipping from 49 to 51 is a major set back and failure of the administration is a true demonstration your ignorance. And when I'm faced with an issue I don't know a lot about, I shut the f**k up.

Finally, somebody with some sense. I wonder how many people in this thread actually went to the school.

AB & JD here. You?

Yea, I did. Class of '13.

LOLOL classic new age Miami student. Soft, delusional about Miami's academic standing, and overly sensitive. It sickens me.

This is about as ignorant as it gets, and that's hard to do around here, even for you. The best students in Florida apply to either Miami or Florida, and the cost of Miami eliminates many of them. Students know that Miami is a top-notch school, that's why the mediocre students don't even bother and just apply to FSU, USF and UCF.

Should wrap it up right there. That pretty much sums up the school's position.

Something that Florida does that I wish Miami did too is go after the best and brightest public school kids in the tri-county area. Boyd Anderson has one of, if not the best, IB program in the state and especially in Broward. The AP education at Cypress Bay (**** them) is top notch. Dr. Krop has a well-respected AP program and an elite arts program that regularly sends kids to Florida over Miami due almost exclusively to not being given enough of a grant benefit.

Last edited:

Something that Florida does that I wish Miami did too is go after the best and brightest public school kids in the tri-county area. Boyd Anderson has one of, if not the best, IB program in the state and especially in Broward. The AP education at Cypress Bay (**** them) is top notch. Dr. Krop has a well-respected AP program and an elite arts program that regularly sends kids to Florida over Miami due almost exclusively to not being given enough of a grant benefit.

Doesn't matter what students any school targets.

George Washington has a campus in norfolk targeted towards the TA dollars.

Texas A&M has a school in San Antonio for that grant money.

Penn st has a full online degree plan.

I got paid 10k a year to go to school.

EVERYBODY has a bachelors. My buddy served 8 years with me and has a degree from UT. He works at Bill Millers now. The entire staff there has a bachelors.

Nobody gives a ****. Just win football games.

EVERYBODY has a bachelors. My buddy served 8 years with me and has a degree from UT. He works at Bill Millers now. The entire staff there has a bachelors.

Yes, a lot of people have a Bachelor's now. But not all Bachelor's are created equal. A Bachelor's from Duke or NYU or USC gives a you a better chance for a better job than a degree from Liberty or Lehigh or North Dakota State.

A lot of people care about the academic credentials especially if there's a particular field you are interested in. As an example, Chad Thomas said that the modern music specialty in the music school at Miami was a major draw for him.

Advertisement

Yes, a lot of people have a Bachelor's now. But not all Bachelor's are created equal. A Bachelor's from Duke or NYU or USC gives a you a better chance for a better job than a degree from Liberty or Lehigh or North Dakota State.

A lot of people care about the academic credentials especially if there's a particular field you are interested in. As an example, Chad Thomas said that the modern music specialty in the music school at Miami was a major draw for him.

He can worry about making music after he wins us a bunch of games and has a 10 year career in the NFL which nets him millions of dollars. Tired of this mediocrity crap.

He can worry about making music after he wins us a bunch of games and has a 10 year career in the NFL which nets him millions of dollars. Tired of this mediocrity crap.

You say that like its the reason we suck. Not that he's being told to stand at the LOS and form a 'wall' to let the lbs make plays 3 yards down field and defend run first before pass rushing.

You say that like its the reason we suck. Not that he's being told to stand at the LOS and form a 'wall' to let the lbs make plays 3 yards down field and defend run first before pass rushing.
[MENTION=220]DCF in LA[/MENTION]: That's not the point I was making. We were talking about what draws people to schools and to Miami in particular. The modern music at Frost helped land Thomas. So my argument is that the high academic profile of the school help land an elite player like Thomas.

Having said that, a wise and intelligent coaching staff and administration would utilize that situation to first develop and really showcase Thomas as a star on the field and second upgrade the profile of the modern music at the music school by having a star football player as one of its students. That in turn helps garner other elite students in that field to attend the school over other options and raise that department even more. It could very easily be a beneficial and cyclical relationship between sports and academics like it was during the Wonder Years of the 80's to 90's. We garnered Thomas with help from academics and then the breakdown is not showcasing him in football.
[MENTION=4086]emrok[/MENTION]: Exactly.

Advertisement

2 candidates with equal credentials apply for the same job. One went to UM and one went to Lehigh, same degree.

The dude that went to Lehigh knows the director of HR. He's getting the job.

Sorry. Welcome to the real world.

LOL @ the idea of Miami ever being a true top shelf academic school. Nobody recognizes that ridiculous tag that Miami waved around like some POW flag.

when I meet a UM graduate, I think **** what a prodigy.....

.........yeah right

2 candidates with equal credentials apply for the same job. One went to UM and one went to Lehigh, same degree.

The dude that went to Lehigh knows the director of HR. He's getting the job.

Sorry. Welcome to the real world.

Pretty much.

Advertisement
Back