UM no longer top 50

Why would a kid choose to attend Miami these days? Expensive, mediocre academics, and the football team sucks.

All things equal, dumb mistake to send your kid to UM over, say, Florida.

No way in **** I'd send my kid to Miami now. Just too damned expensive and a damned joke of a school. "TJMaxx education for a Tiffany's price." Believe Billy Corben said that, but I'm not sure. That damned Med School mess Shalala created hasn't helped, either. What an epic cluster#### this place is. Feel kind of sorry for Dr. Frenk. He's inherited a mess.

They dug their own grave. I don't feel sorry for them at all, because they don't show any kind of willingness to do the hard work it takes to get to the top... either in academics, research, the hospital, or, for that matter, athletics.

"Suntan U" is a well-earned moniker. The administration embodies it perfectly.

This school is going to go under if this guy Frenk doesn't do something drastic fast. The tuition is way, way too high for a glorified commuter school. The Med School situation is horrendous. Place has to be losing money like crazy (which is probably why we get glorified high school coaches }. In ten years Miami will no longer exist as we know it if something isn't done and we don't FINALLY get competent management. We will end up being absorbed by FIU the way things are going.
It really is just THAT BAD.

Advertisement
I wonder if the BOT is fuming and probably blaming at the black kids on the football team for this. We all know the people that run the U are racists and felt it was necessary to shed our african american imagery in order to improve the school.

Right now the BOT is thinking of ways to further neuter our ballers so we can move back into the top 50.

Why would a kid choose to attend Miami these days? Expensive, mediocre academics, and the football team sucks.

All things equal, dumb mistake to send your kid to UM over, say, Florida.

No way in **** I'd send my kid to Miami now. Just too damned expensive and a damned joke of a school. "TJMaxx education for a Tiffany's price." Believe Billy Corben said that, but I'm not sure. That damned Med School mess Shalala created hasn't helped, either. What an epic cluster#### this place is. Feel kind of sorry for Dr. Frenk. He's inherited a mess.

They dug their own grave. I don't feel sorry for them at all, because they don't show any kind of willingness to do the hard work it takes to get to the top... either in academics, research, the hospital, or, for that matter, athletics.

"Suntan U" is a well-earned moniker. The administration embodies it perfectly.

Amen

Advertisement
We were in the 60s when Donna took over. We also were in the midst of a run that featured the single greatest college football team in history, and what easily could have been 3-peat champs.

Now we are in the 50s, and have had the worst stretch of football in many of our lifetimes.

The BoT was feeling bad for the football program being stuck in mediocre land and the academics doing so well at UM they decided it wasn't fair to the feelings of the football players to be so far behind the academic ranking of the school. So instead of doing what it takes to raise the status of the football program they just went ahead and lowered the academic ranking.

"This is the new Miami."

Advertisement
Jesus, we drop a few spots and fall behind UF....the sky is falling. Bunch of chicken littles who just this past year were talking all kinds of academic smack. One would think we dropped off the face of a cliff.

I personally have never cared about a schools overall academic ranking unless you're way up there. What matters when choosing a school is what you plan on pursuing as a degree. You want to be a lawyer, go to FSU. You want to go into the medical field, go to UF. You want to be a marine biologist, go to Miami.

The other thing both UF and FSU have over us is their larger alumni pool, which can help you in your career. I personally wouldn't pay "x" the extra money to go to Miami at this point unless it paid out in the long run. Some prefer a smaller school, so naturally you'd choose Miami if that's the case. Location could be another factor, but that's about it.

Sooner then later they will need the football program to be successful to get the "brand" built back up.. Like it or not, a lot of advertising comes from a dominant football program.
Or things may just be going as planned for a select few

Jesus, we drop a few spots and fall behind UF....the sky is falling. Bunch of chicken littles who just this past year were talking all kinds of academic smack. One would think we dropped off the face of a cliff.

I personally have never cared about a schools overall academic ranking unless you're way up there. What matters when choosing a school is what you plan on pursuing as a degree. You want to be a lawyer, go to FSU. You want to go into the medical field, go to UF. You want to be a marine biologist, go to Miami.

The other thing both UF and FSU have over us is their larger alumni pool, which can help you in your career. I personally wouldn't pay "x" the extra money to go to Miami at this point unless it paid out in the long run. Some prefer a smaller school, so naturally you'd choose Miami if that's the case. Location could be another factor, but that's about it.

I never did. But in all fairness what was anyone gonna talk smack about @ []_[]?

I never did. But in all fairness what was anyone gonna talk smack about @ []_[]?

Fair point and that's what made all the academic smack talk funny when it was going on. Nobody ever gave a crap about academic rankings on the football forums when we were winning. When we quit winning, the talk turned to how bad some schools were and how anyone could get in there. Weakest crap ever on our boards.

Advertisement
joe, the only thing that matters is the students and kids are having fun out there

that's a true degree earned

Lol wut.

Advertisement
This is the blind leading the blind on this thread. I'm sorry you ignored me miredinmediocrity but I call it like I see it. UM is not a commuter college, we successfully completed Momentum 1 & 2 and the financial troubles of the medical center were vastly overblown by the press. I know for a fact that the Medical Center has been profitable for the last two years, and it continues to grow. UHealth has been great for healthcare in the region because it has forced major systems, such as Baptist and Miami Children's to also improve their hospitals.

UM graduates are leading the push into creating Miami into an entrepreneurial hub, including the CEO of Magic Leap, which just raised 500 million from Google and other major SV VC firms. UM is as good or better than UF in many areas (marine bio, music, medicine, international finance, tax law) and has other areas to grow.

Yes Miami is expensive but for the top tier students they are trying to attract they offer tons of scholarship money. The alumni network in South Florida is very, very strong in the areas of finance, law and medicine. I speak from my personal experience and friends who graduated from UM.

Listen, I hate the administration just as much as the rest of you guys for what they've done to my beloved football program. I didn't renew my season tickets this year, I've donated to the banners. But to act as if UM slipping from 49 to 51 is a major set back and failure of the administration is a true demonstration your ignorance. And when I'm faced with an issue I don't know a lot about, I shut the f**k up.

Last edited:
This is the blind leading the blind on this thread. I'm sorry you ignored me miredinmediocrity but I call it like I see it. UM is not a commuter college, we successfully completed Momentum 1 & 2 and the financial troubles of the medical center were vastly overblown by the press. I know for a fact that the Medical Center has been profitable for the last two years, and it continues to grow. UHealth has been great for healthcare in the region because it has forced major systems, such as Baptist and Miami Children's to also improve their hospitals.

UM graduates are leading the push into creating Miami into an entrepreneurial hub, including the CEO of Magic Leap, which just raised 500 million from Google and other major SV VC firms. UM is as good or better than UF in many areas (marine bio, music, medicine, international finance, tax law) and has other areas to grow.

Yes Miami is expensive but for the top tier students they are trying to attract they offer tons of scholarship money. The alumni network in South Florida is very, very strong in the areas of finance, law and medicine. I speak from my personal experience and friends who graduated from UM.

Listen, I hate the administration just as much as the rest of you guys for what they've done to my beloved football program. I didn't renew my season tickets this year, I've donated to the banners. But to act as if UM slipping from 49 to 51 is a major set back and failure of the administration is a true demonstration your ignorance. And when I'm faced with an issue I don't know a lot about, I shut the f**k up.

Finally, somebody with some sense. I wonder how many people in this thread actually went to the school.

Finally, somebody with some sense. I wonder how many people in this thread actually went to the school.

AB & JD here. You?

Advertisement
Back