UM needs to fix this BS with admissions

NorthFlaCane

Senior
I'm not saying that Miami needs to turn into a school like Marshall, but ****, if there is a player that is coming up from a rough background, has grades that are OK but not Miami standards, and is a lights out football player, that kid should get in. If he meets minimum NCAA standards, Miami should lower their standards. I'm not saying they should do this for all 85 players, but if they have a few special cases it won't **** up the academic reputation of the school, it will give a kid a chance to play in his hometown, and it will stop our swiss cheese secondary from getting burnt all the **** time. How is anybody losing here? No reason for hometown kids with borderline grades to be playing at Louisville or Marshall.

Advertisement
Possibly, they could permit any kid who wants to attend the U a probationary/special attendance period where if they make the grades and make up some work they should, they can enter the school.

They study, do their work, and keep their noses clean, they can work themselves off the conditional attendance program.

If anybody comes with STUDENT-athlete bull****...DIAF. You and I both know **** well these kids are going to school for football only. Let these kids get in here, play football, make the school some money, and get the **** out.

Possibly, they could permit any kid who wants to attend the U a probationary/special attendance period where if they make the grades and make up some work they should, they can enter the school.

They study, do their work, and keep their noses clean, they can work themselves off the conditional attendance program.

This sounds like a good idea. I think all schools should do this, especially if a kid shows the needed aptitude. I know coming out I had like a 2.4, but I had a 27 on the ACT, I probably couldn't have gotten into most places. Now I carry a 3.51 in college. Sometimes it just takes a kid being in the right environment to mature and improve. For Miami to be turning away kids with a 22 or 24 ACT is insane especially when everyone else is letting them in.

Advertisement
This admissions stuff is getting old. Standford, which has higher admission standards than we do, has been a good program for a few years now. WVU and Louisville, both with admission standards that are much more lax than ours, haven't sniffed the top 10 (OK, actually WVU has). Does losing that talent hurt. **** yeah it does, but admission standards aren't what is hurting this program. Bad coaching, bad recruiting, and underperforming players is what is hurting this program. If a kid is bright, knows what he has to do to get in school and still doesn't work hard enough to do it, why would you want a kid like that on the team? What makes you think he would work any harder on the field than he did in the classroom? Because he WANTS to play football? You really think that will motivate the kid when Golden is pushing them through drills in August when it is hot as ****? And we talk about wanting smart players, knowing what admission standards are and not working towards them sure doesn't seem very bright to me. And yes, football smarts does not equal school smarts, I understand that, but come on.... work ethic=work ethic on or off the field. I'm not saying they should have a 4.0, but at least meet minimum standards.... especially when you know what they are.

And yes, LSU and Ala. are getting those kids in and they are doing great, but that's coaching, system and smart recruiting. Saban could win with any talented players (unless it's a pro player). RS and Coker couldn't and it had nothing to do with admissions. And is UF's (God, I hate that school) admission standards that much lower than ours? Or lower at all? I don't think so. And up until recently they were doing pretty well.

So don't overblow the admissions thing. I mean, we had the number 1 ranked class in 2008 (and yes, they didn't live up to it, but that's not the point) with the same admission standards in place. If this team doesn't win in the next few years it is on Golden and not the admission standards....

This admissions stuff is getting old. Standford, which has higher admission standards than we do, has been a good program for a few years now. WVU and Louisville, both with admission standards that are much more lax than ours, haven't sniffed the top 10 (OK, actually WVU has). Does losing that talent hurt. **** yeah it does, but admission standards aren't what is hurting this program. Bad coaching, bad recruiting, and underperforming players is what is hurting this program. If a kid is bright, knows what he has to do to get in school and still doesn't work hard enough to do it, why would you want a kid like that on the team? What makes you think he would work any harder on the field than he did in the classroom? Because he WANTS to play football? You really think that will motivate the kid when Golden is pushing them through drills in August when it is hot as ****? And we talk about wanting smart players, knowing what admission standards are and not working towards them sure doesn't seem very bright to me. And yes, football smarts does not equal school smarts, I understand that, but come on.... work ethic=work ethic on or off the field. I'm not saying they should have a 4.0, but at least meet minimum standards.... especially when you know what they are.

And yes, LSU and Ala. are getting those kids in and they are doing great, but that's coaching, system and smart recruiting. Saban could win with any talented players (unless it's a pro player). RS and Coker couldn't and it had nothing to do with admissions. And is UF's (God, I hate that school) admission standards that much lower than ours? Or lower at all? I don't think so. And up until recently they were doing pretty well.

So don't overblow the admissions thing. I mean, we had the number 1 ranked class in 2008 (and yes, they didn't live up to it, but that's not the point) with the same admission standards in place. If this team doesn't win in the next few years it is on Golden and not the admission standards....

SMH...and I think most can agree that admissions has cost us more than a few playmakers in the past 5 years.

SMH...and I think most can agree that admissions has cost us more than a few playmakers in the past 5 years.

The last two regimes is what cost us play makers the last 5 years. The staff knows what the admin standards are. You don't wait till the last week of January to check and see if a kid can make it in. The staffs have access to the school transcripts, so they know what they are going against.

Advertisement
I just think we need to have a case-by-case review of each player...I think you are doing a disservice to the youth of South Florida by immediately disqualifying players for grades that took place at 14 years old. A strong board review of certain players that meet NCAA standards, but not UM standards that meet the requirement athletically (exemplary extracurricular work) should be had. If grades are improving each year as they grow older, shows extra dedication to improved grades, etc.

However, I don't see the big deal with one of these kids going prep for six months either...I mean, six months at a prep to wipe all that high school junk out if they honor your scholarship sounds like a good deal, to me.

I think they could give al 2 or 3 exceptions per seaon...guys that don't necessarily meet the u standards but meet the ncaa standards..

We all know that Miami gets the local home town intercity kids. Most of these kids worry about what they are going to eat or their power is going to get turned off. They have a single mom that works a couple of low paying jobs to survive on. Those are the facts of life in the inter city. You have high school sports, work and class room studies. Not every family is Leave to Beaver growing up. It takes a lot of work and hours of training to become a great athlete able to compete at a college level. What do people think these kids just show up and are super athletes? UM has won 5 national titles with 4 different coaches and I doubt there would be any NCs with out the local kids from South Florida. They have brought in a lot of money for the U. The U has done more than any other college in the last 29 years. A little private inter city college beating up on the pampas football superpowers of these huge colleges. Why does UM not help out these local kids? The kids are going to get tired of the admissions hassle and just go to LSU, OSU, Louisville or where ever instead. Other schools know they can come in start their own pipeline telling these kids do not worry about getting in like UM. Why do the kids even want to deal with that stress? They just want to go to college and play ball.

UM is Miami so why help the local kids. The old saying not where you came from but where you are going should be on admissions wall. Once they get in they got to perform on the field and class room to play. Real simple. The NFL stands for Not For Long so after taxes and ex wives there not much money left so you better have done well in school. There is a lot of living and bills after 30. It seems like that is the angle that Golden is taken but he has his hands tied on this one. UM can say we brought these kids in and they graduated with good grades. I think UM is one of the top schools for that.

I completely understand about the problems inner cities kids face. I'm an old white dude and without going into it and boring everyone, I know alot more about that than I wish I did. And yeah, before someone tells me it's different for a white guy, I know it is and I acknowledge that, BUT if you are going to use the logic that you give a kid a break because he is from Miami and inner city, then you are doing a diservice to all the kids that work their *** off to get into school. And maybe work one or two jobs themselves to help the family. Life is not handed to any of us regardless of color. It takes work. And if I know that I have to meet minimum standards, than I should meet those standards. And yes, it's hard to study when you're hungry or the lights in your apartment are turned off. But kids do it everyday. And alot of the kids that are on the team and in school have done it. And I could even see your point if we were turning down a majority of inner city kids.... but we don't. Let's face it, a decent percentage of the kids that have gotten into the U since DS has been Prez have been inner city kids (and I am not saying most, just a decent percentage).... and they worked hard, met standards and got in. These are kids we should be proud of. Playing football is not a "right", it's a priveldge. And most of us that never played at that level, black, white, rich, poor, green or blue would have worked hard enough to at least met the minimum to get in and play if we had the talent.

And as someone else said.... if you really want it, what's wrong with going to prep school for 6 months before you get in?.... and don't hand me that "it delays their pro career". Most of these kids will never even sniff a pro field let alone play on it.

Advertisement
And as someone else said.... if you really want it, what's wrong with going to prep school for 6 months before you get in?.... and don't hand me that "it delays their pro career". Most of these kids will never even sniff a pro field let alone play on it.

Because a lot of the kids don't go to prep school, they just go to a different university.

Who says they're not working towards it? I don't think you guys understand how much of these guys time gets take up. When I was in high school we got home 8:30 MINIMUM, and that was usually the night before games. It was like a full-time job. And then when the season was over we had like 2 weeks before we started lifting. Then we had spring practice, traveled to 7-on-7's throughout the summer, summer camp, then the season again before you know it. By the time you get home, take a shower, and eat, its around 11pm. And you still have HW to do and try to get up at 6 to make it to school the next morning, doesn't leave much time for HW.

I had excellent grades until I started playing ball and they dropped each year. If you put in the time asked you just won't have that much time. Especially if you're putting in the time to be the elite athlete these guys are. It doesn't mean they're lazy, lazy people don't get to the levels they get athletically. There aren't any tutors and such available to these kids like they'd get in college. What's most important is structure. Plus I don't think any of Miami's fans are saying to lower standards. But there's a problem when a kid meets the NCAA requirement and Miami won't let them in. Why put yourself at a disadvantage to other schools?

I totally disagree with that. What nonsense. So if 10-12 of our guys are going to make it into the NFL each year (which is actually way high), the others are going to need an education. I agree that some of the standards s/b dumbed down for football players, but you still have to keep some minimum test scores, otherwise we become a joke like ohio state

If anybody comes with STUDENT-athlete bull****...DIAF. You and I both know **** well these kids are going to school for football only. Let these kids get in here, play football, make the school some money, and get the **** out.

Advertisement
I totally disagree with that. What nonsense. So if 10-12 of our guys are going to make it into the NFL each year (which is actually way high), the others are going to need an education. I agree that some of the standards s/b dumbed down for football players, but you still have to keep some minimum test scores, otherwise we become a joke like ohio state

Say what? Who gives a **** about the academics that Ohio State's football players meet? You think that affects the reputation of the university at large? Ohio State is a joke because their players commit a zillion NCAA infractions and try to injure their opponents, not because of academics.

There are numerous schools ranked highly in the US News and World Report top schools that would totally surprise you if you judged them only by their football recruits, so this is not a novel concept.

I think though, it has to be the right kid. AJL attending 4 schools doesnt help his case.

The problem with JC kids is that often times that don't take courses at JC that transfer into Um majors therefore they haven't advanced far enough academically to qualify for admission under NCAA guidelines. They may qualify for admission to a large state school with a thousand more majors than UM has, their credits will transfer where at Um they won't transfer and they therefore don't have sufficient credits to qualify. It has nothing to do with UM admissions it is a factor of being a small school with more limited majors

Advertisement
Back