UM jumps 5 spots to #11 @ D1Baseball, are #14 in D1 RPI and are #3 seed in ACC, a half game behind #2 Duke...

Advertisement
RPI is down to 15th after the weekend, but this morning’s RPI Needs Report still says just two losses should result in a top 16 finish, and now says a perfect finish would produce a top 8 RPI heading into the ACC Tournament.
While you'd love to win the rest, a realistic goal IMO is: take the Duke series and win the Coastal in the process, and be the #2 seed in the ACC tourney. Then, who knows, get to the Championship game of the ACC and we might snag a top 8 seed.

Advertisement
While you'd love to win the rest, a realistic goal IMO is: take the Duke series and win the Coastal in the process, and be the #2 seed in the ACC tourney. Then, who knows, get to the Championship game of the ACC and we might snag a top 8 seed.

Take 2 of 3 vs. Duke.

Take 2 of 3 (on the road) vs Pitt.

Win our two midweek games against a bad FIU team.

All we can do is our part, we can't really worry about much more. Hopefully some of the teams we are competing with for seed implode.

So the top 8 seeds host the first round sites?
Top 16 host regionals. Four teams in each region. Winner moves on to Super Regionals.

If you are a top 8 and you win your regional, then the winner of the 4 team regional seeded opposite your regional has to come to you for the Super Regional. Best of 3 series.

Winner goes onto Omaha, the College World Series, with 7 other teams who went through the same format.

Advertisement
D1 has us as the #13 seed today according to their podcast.

Right now both VT and GT's RPI is hurting us, but they both have strong schedules to finish, so they should hopefully win a couple and move up.

If they get back into the top 50, that's 5 more Q1 wins for us, which makes our resume look a lot better.

Top 8 is gonna be real tough with all the teams jumbled up top in the RPI, we'd probably have to sweep Pitt and at least win 2 of 3 vs Duke, not to mention don't drop one to FIU.

In reality, we may need to finish without a loss to reach top 8.

D1 Projection, as mentioned above.

I don’t hate this regional draw for us, though Arkansas would be tough in the supers.

Will be hard to make it to Top 8 given our schedule and RPI. Like the above poster mentioned, 7-1 or 8-0 to finish it off is likely needed to make it possible.

Attachments

• E978847A-71DD-4C73-BD38-CCE9DB5C1400.png
    E978847A-71DD-4C73-BD38-CCE9DB5C1400.png
    663.1 KB · Views: 37
D1 Projection, as mentioned above.

I don’t hate this regional draw for us, though Arkansas would be tough in the supers.

Will be hard to make it to Top 8 given our schedule and RPI. Like the above poster mentioned, 7-1 or 8-0 to finish it off is likely needed to make it possible.
It'll be nice to see Gulf Coast. Get an in-person look at the farm team. Looks like Gallo might get DFA'd back down, but I'm sure they have another arm or 2 we can call up once the rosters expand.

Advertisement
Its going to take some help for us to make top 8...quite a bit of help. The SEC bias is real in college baseball as well.

As I've said before, if we win our last few series, we will get top 16 easily.

Kind of helps when you have a little insight..

USCe now has 4 losses in a row, and have lost 6 of their last 10. Including a series loss to unranked Auburn. But their RPI is 4

Kentucky's RPI is 1, but they have lost most series that they were supposed to lose, besides USCe...go figure. They should not even be top 20.

One of the teams getting the most disrespect is Virginia, their losses have literally only came against ACC opponents, RPI is 10, yet their rank is below those other SEC "powers"...just a joke as always.

Outside of all of that, we win our last two series and we definitely hosting regionals.

Its going to take some help for us to make top 8...quite a bit of help. The SEC bias is real in college baseball as well.

As I've said before, if we win our last few series, we will get top 16 easily.

Kind of helps when you have a little insight..

USCe now has 4 losses in a row, and have lost 6 of their last 10. Including a series loss to unranked Auburn. But their RPI is 4

Kentucky's RPI is 1, but they have lost most series that they were supposed to lose, besides USCe...go figure. They should not even be top 20.

One of the teams getting the most disrespect is Virginia, their losses have literally only came against ACC opponents, RPI is 10, yet their rank is below those other SEC "powers"...just a joke as always.

Outside of all of that, we win our last two series and we definitely hosting regionals.
To be fair, UVA is 2-7 in their last 9 ACC games, with two of those series dropped at home, so they're on a bit of a downward spiral and rankings will always be more reactive to "what have you done lately".

Same reason we're borderline top 10 in every poll, we've just been winning despite how ugly some of them look.

Not sure Clemson isn't the 2nd best team in the ACC this season. They are getting hot at the right time.

They've won 15 out of the last 19, are ranked as high as #10, have the same ACC record as us (half a game back of #2 Duke) and they had a better RPI than we do (+2) heading into tonight, and they are up by 8 runs against #8 Coastal Carolina in the 7th while we beat a bad FIU team.

We have to keep pace with them down the stretch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Crazy that just two weeks ago Clemson was like 7-9 in the ACC and like 23-17 overall.

Craziest Acc season in awhile. I mean with 2 weekends left our whole division could look completely different in 2 weeks everyone os so bunched up.
Other than Wake (who've been consistently good), every other good team is seriously flawed, but can be very good on the right day.

I know I am setting myself up for disappointment. I came into this season and tried to be super skeptical, no homer, we wont be let down because we just arent that good.

But now I watch this flawed team and I am starting to convince myself that a comment I made earlier in the year is coming true. Win ugly. Just find ways. We seem to be doing it. A lot of season left and we really havent beat anyone but the team just scrapes and battles even with poor baserunning, limited pitching, and an approach at the plate that is great when its clicking but when you face a high level arm you better hope they walk a few or boot a few and then you run into 1-2 three run bombs.

I know I know...Im going to likely be let down when we go 1-2 in the regional. But coming off bball I'm just hoping for another exciting run

I know I am setting myself up for disappointment. I came into this season and tried to be super skeptical, no homer, we wont be let down because we just arent that good.

But now I watch this flawed team and I am starting to convince myself that a comment I made earlier in the year is coming true. Win ugly. Just find ways. We seem to be doing it. A lot of season left and we really havent beat anyone but the team just scrapes and battles even with poor baserunning, limited pitching, and an approach at the plate that is great when its clicking but when you face a high level arm you better hope they walk a few or boot a few and then you run into 1-2 three run bombs.

I know I know...Im going to likely be let down when we go 1-2 in the regional. But coming off bball I'm just hoping for another exciting run
It’s tough for me to say this because there have been spots where Gino’s been bad. Especially with arms and at 3rd.

But this is by far the most impressive year he’s put together during his tenure as skipper at miami. I’m still highly skeptical that we will be able to get it done against teams not in the acc. But with what we’ve produced given the limitations of our staff has been very impressive

Advertisement
Back