UM announces Stubblefield as WR coach, Field as TE coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The University of Miami football program has hired Taylor Stubblefield as wide receivers coach and Stephen Field as tight ends coach, head coach Manny Diaz announced Friday.

“We’re excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family,” Diaz said. “Taylor was a Biletnikoff Award finalist as a college receiver and he boasts a terrific track record coaching that position. He also has strong ties to our offensive coordinator, Dan Enos, which is significant as we begin to build and shape our offense.

“Stephen is an outstanding coach who has had great success at both the college and high school levels. He is a proven recruiter on a national scale, and also has strong ties to The U and to South Florida. They will both be excellent additions to our staff.”

Stubblefield, a record-setting wide receiver during his playing days at Purdue, comes to UM after two seasons as wide receivers coach at the Air Force Academy. Field, a veteran coach from the college and high school ranks, comes to UM from Louisville, where he was hired as Director of Recruiting earlier this month. This is his second tour of duty at Miami, having served as a defensive graduate assistant and special teams coach for the Hurricanes from 2007-08.

Stubblefield’s receivers averaged 17.7 yards per catch over his two seasons in Colorado Springs. In 2018, senior Marcus Bennett caught 24 passes for 465 yards and three scores and finished his career with an average of 21.6 yards per catch, ranking fifth in Falcons history.

In 2016, Stubblefield coached wide receivers for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, helping Kenny Shaw top the 1,000-yard receiving mark on 77 receptions.

Prior to his CFL stint, Stubblefield had college coaching stops at Utah (2014-15), Wake Forest (2013), New Mexico (2012), Central Michigan (2011), Illinois State (2009-10), Eastern Michigan (2008) and Central Washington (2007).

During his season in Winston-Salem, Stubblefield helped Michael Campanaro earn second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors. Stubblefield coached under Hurricanes offensive coordinator Dan Enos at CMU, where he coached three third-team all-Mid-American Conference receivers in Titus Davis, Courtney Williams and Cody Wilson. In his two years at Illinois State, Stubblefield coached three all-Missouri Valley Football Conference players, including first-team wide receiver Eyad Salem, who set a school record for receptions in a season with 92.

As a wide receiver at Purdue, Stubblefield was a consensus All-America selection and a 2004 finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, presented to the nation’s outstanding receiver. He finished his career (2001-04) with a then-NCAA record 316 receptions, ranking second in Big Ten history with 3,629 receiving yards. His 16 receiving touchdowns in 2004 are a Boilermakers single-season record.

After graduating from Purdue in 2005, Stubblefield had professional stints with the National Football League’s Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams as well as the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Field spent last season as the Director of Recruiting at Oregon, where he helped the Ducks land the top-ranked class in school history. Oregon’s 2019 class was ranked first in the Pacific-12 Conference and ninth nationally by 247 Sports.

In 2017, Field served as Louisville’s Director of High School Relations and NFL Liaison, helping the Cardinals sign 19 student-athletes during the initial early signing period, eight of which enrolled in January. The 2018 signing class featured a school-best 11 four-star recruits and a pair of Under Armour All-Americans.

Field came to Louisville after serving one season as the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator at Florida A&M. Prior to joining the staff at FAMU, Field was a highly decorated head football coach and offensive coordinator at North Marion Senior High in 2014-15.

Field was named the 2015 Florida Athletic Coaches Association (FACA) Coach of the Year, guiding North Marion to the regional quarterfinals, after his squad led the county in passing, rushing and scoring. Fieldwas also selected as the offensive coordinator in the 2015 Offense-Defense All-American game in Orlando, Fla., and produced six players selected to play in the All-American game, a Marion County record.

Prior to his stint at North Marion, Field served as head coach and offensive coordinator at Miami Northwestern High (2012-14), where he restored the perennial prep power to prominence, guiding them to a regional appearance in his first season. During his tenure at Northwestern, 46 players earned scholarships, including future Hurricanes and Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Artie Burns.

Field coached running backs for three seasons at Hampton University (2009-11), in addition to serving as recruiting coordinator, run game coordinator and director of operations. He helped the Pirates produce two top 10 MEAC rushers during that stretch.

Before his stint at Hampton, Field coached two years at UM (2007-08) on the defensive side of the ball, working with future NFL draft picks like Kenny Phillips, Tavares Gooden, Sean Spence, Darryl Sharpton, Brandon Harris and Allen Bailey.

In 2005-06, Field was the offensive run game coordinator, running backs coach and academic coach at Glades Central High in Belle Glade, Fla. While at Glades Central, he coached back-to-back 1,000 yard rushers in Aston Samuels and Damien Berry. In 2006, Glades Central won the Class 3A championship.

Field also spent a season at Deerfield Beach High, where he coached 1,000-yard rusher Roderick Ferguson, and four years at Miami Central High, where he coached the top two statistical ranking wide receivers in Dade County in 2002 (Willie Foster, Marcus Daniels).

Field was a two-time all-state selection at Palm Beach Lakes High, helping them to the only undefeated season in school history. He played tight end for two seasons at Tuskegee University. Field later earned a bachelor’s degree in business management from University of Phoenix, and a master's degree in liberal studies from UM.

Advertisement
Field I like, WR coach not in a top 10 of who I thought we would pick.

I remember Campanaro being a beast at wake and good to see he can actually coach up scrubs like Kenny shaw.

Advertisement
Bro is Cooney still our recruiting co-ordinator

Love the Field hire. I know many wanted Hartley to stay, I think Field will prove to be, at worst, equal to what Hartley was for us and probably even an upgrade. That's no shot to Todd, mind you.

I'll reserve judgement on Stubblefield. Obviously hope he helps our room ball out. Can't really be worse than they were last year, collectively.

Advertisement
What a stash of defensive players we had in 2007 and 2008. His biography lists them.

I think you have to let Enos have some say in who his position coaches will be, and this clearly seems to be his choice. Field is elite enough as a recruiter, that I'm not worried about the lesser known guy at WR coach. WR room is stacked already, and as soon as they start balling out in the new offense, which they will, that will give Stubblefield some immediate credibility on the trail.

If you read closely, Manny mentioned nothing of Stubblefield's recruiting prowess. I honestly think Cooney will be recruiting WR's

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love the Field hire. I know many wanted Hartley to stay, I think Field will prove to be, at worst, equal to what Hartley was for us and probably even an upgrade. That's no shot to Todd, mind you.

I'll reserve judgement on Stubblefield. Obviously hope he helps our room ball out. Can't really be worse than they were last year, collectively.
Important to note that our fans loved Dugans. He was a great recruiter and had the WRs balling.

Ultimately it completely fell apart and the stories about him are disturbing.

Not trying to sway Stubblefield talk just trying to use some perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back