UM accepts Independence Bowl bid vs. La. Tech; Diaz, James comment

View as article
Advertisement
We’ve seriously played La Tech 4 times?

The only game I remember vs La Tech is the ridiculous 2000 game where we allowed 31 points. We probably would have gone to the NC game had we won in a more respectable fashion.

I had completely forgotten about the 2003 and 2004 La Tech games.

"We are looking forward to the opportunity to participate in the Walk-On's Independence Bowl," Director of Athletics Blake James said. "The bowl's staff and the people of Shreveport always put on a terrific show for the visiting teams and this promises to be a fun experience for both our student-athletes and our fan base."

giphy.gif

I’m old enough but this game just doesn’t ”ring a bell” as far as it being a reason we got left out. Won comfortably, they scored the last TD with a minute to go and still won by 2
scores. Hindsight but canes went against a future NFL veteran and got screwed in a not so good way...

Advertisement
This season has been an unmitigated disaster for Diaz. His recent recruiting success is the only bright spot he has going right now. We have to win this game there is no way around it Diaz’s tenure depends on it. That being said starting fresh in the off season Diaz has gotta show he is willing to make changes or we have yet another lame duck coach on our hands.....

This season has been an unmitigated disaster for Diaz. His recent recruiting success is the only bright spot he has going right now. We have to win this game there is no way around it Diaz’s tenure depends on it. That being said starting fresh in the off season Diaz has gotta show he is willing to make changes or we have yet another lame duck coach on our hands.....

Winning or losing some irrelevant bowel game has no bearing whatsoever on Diaz's tenure.

Advertisement
not only with staff but also has to get the players attention.

When I think of LATech, I think of Winslow striking the Heisman pose after a TD in Shreveport. His only touchdown of the entire season as he never found the endzone again.

Hey, I'm fine with the matchup. At least we avoided the chance of losing to FAU or some other instate school.

Advertisement
I’m old enough but this game just doesn’t ”ring a bell” as far as it being a reason we got left out. Won comfortably, they scored the last TD with a minute to go and still won by 2
scores. Hindsight but canes went against a future NFL veteran and got screwed in a not so good way...
It was a big part of the reason we were left out in 2000. That year was the height of the computer models weighting in the BCS selection, and we were punished for a lackluster LA Tech win and a win against 1AA McNeese State that didn’t count in the models. Ole Bobbuh ran up the score against everyone but us and conned the computers.

Advertisement
It was a big part of the reason we were left out in 2000. That year was the height of the computer models weighting in the BCS selection, and we were punished for a lackluster LA Tech win and a win against 1AA McNeese State that didn’t count in the models. Ole Bobbuh ran up the score against everyone but us and conned the computers.
Needed a committee then, the human perception knew Miami wa s the better team over FSU.

I thought we were stupid enough to allow East Carolina out of a contract. That opened the door for the McNeese State game as replacement. But the way it worked out, even a 1 point home victory over East Carolina would have been enough to send the Canes into the title game "hosting" Oklahoma. We would have been roughly 8 point favorites over the Sooners.

That's my memory anyway. The BCS may have been new but they already had media gurus with all the details. Miami was basically out unless we got help, which didn't arrive. Those gurus were spotlighting the incomparable ignorance of letting East Carolina out of the contract, saying the Miami athletic department obviously made decisions under the old guidelines without having a clue toward how they impacted the new reality. I think East Carolina wanted out of the game at the Orange Bowl because they had been offered a prime time ESPN game with Virginia Tech on a Thursday night.

I remember the 2004 game hosting East Carolina very well because of the thunderous ovation Kyle Wright received when he entered the game. Everyone thought we were seeing first glimpse of the new king. But then there was an ominous buzz not much later, because Wright made some near-mistakes and didn't look like he had much field awareness out there.

It might shorten his tenure if the Canes not only lose, but look bad while doing it. The whole dancing on the sidelines while losing by multiple touchdowns is almost certainly an embarrassment to Diaz's superiors.
Is it possible to look good losing to La Tech?

Advertisement
Back