UM 2021 DT Commit Savion Collins Recruiting Update

Paranos

All-ACC

Pretty insightful article, Collins is dropping Off season bad weight and apparently had a back injury which he has recovered from. Back injuries in linemen can be a long term problem if not healed properly, so that could something to monitor moving forward especially considering he is a NT.

Seems like Stroud is slow playing Collins and the communication is conversational through Taylor (ouch). An Collins recruitment went cold with his other SEC suitors a while back so now it appears when the music stops on Early NSD Collins very likely could be left without a seat at the signing table and will have to wait until February to see which schools have room for him.

This is another lesson in not over playing one's hand in recruiting. Hopefully both Miami and Collins make the right choice and work this out. An for the record whomever was guiding this young man's recruitment fell asleep at the wheel big time, but fortunately it's not to late. Collins should have followed 2021 DT commit Allan Hayes lead an kept his head down an focused more on developing his craft. With better guidance Collins can definitely reach the potential coach Simpson saw in him and flourish at Miami.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement

Pretty insightful article, Collins is dropping Off season bad weight and apparently had a back injury which he has recovered from. Back injuries in linemen can be a long term problem if not healed properly, so that could something to monitor moving forward especially considering he is a NT.

Seems like Stroud is slow playing Collins and the communication is conversational through Taylor (ouch). An Collins recruitment went cold with his other SEC suitors a while back so now it appears when the music stops on Early NSD Collins very likely could be left without a seat at the signing table and will have to wait until February to see which schools have room for him.

This is another lesson in not over playing one's hand in recruiting. Hopefully both Miami and Collins make the right choice and work this out. An for the record whomever was guiding this young man's recruitment fell asleep at the wheel big time, but fortunately it's not to late. Collins should have followed 2021 DT commit Allan Hayes lead an kept his head down an focused more on developing his craft. With better guidance Collins can definitely reach the potential coach Simpson saw in him and flourish at Miami.

Go Canes

I can't tell from the article whether that means he's getting dropped or is still on the class.

I can't tell from the article whether that means he's getting dropped or is still on the class.

Neither can he and that is the art of the slow play in recruiting. He mentions his connection to Miami in Hope's of rebuilding bridges he semi burned earlier during the recruiting cycle when he was running his mouth about Florida and how really liked them an wanted to Flip but his mom was not on board. Well turns out Florida was merely kicking the tires with him, like some on here stated.

Not to mention I got the feeling his Head Coach was shopping the young man earlier in his recruitment when he arrived at Palmetto.

Go Canes

If Smith commits then Collins is gone. I wouldn't mind dropping him for a CB or OL.

When in shape you would be hard pressed to find a high school NT as big and athletic as Collins in the country. So I wouldn't be to drop Collins, he is young ( just turned 17 I believe) and slightly immature with uniformed guidance that is allowing him to run his mouth without proper recruiting direction.

Go Canes

Advertisement
When in shape you would be hard pressed to find a high school NT as big and athletic as Collins in the country. So I wouldn't be to drop Collins, he is young ( just turned 17 I believe) and slightly immature with uniformed guidance that is allowing him to run his mouth without proper recruiting direction.

Go Canes
I don't like lazy players

Go Canes

It sounds like the staff has nudged him to look around and he probably won't get a NLI from UM in december. I think there's enough red flags here, immaturity and injuries, to warrant the slow play by UM, but if he can get something solid in december he should bounce and go live his dream

I don't like lazy players

I think DT is such a premium position that you take a risk with a kid like him. The DTs are the linchpin of Diaz's defense, so it's the one position where you want to have as many options as possible. Maybe someone gets injured or the other DTs aren't as dominant as we thought they'd be.

I would avoid low character kids as Miami doesn't have the leadership it needs there, but it doesn't sound like Collins is a bad kid. He's just lazy. If a coach making several million dollars doesnt believe he can figure out a way to motivate a lazy high school player, he shouldn't be in the coaching business.

This will probably get me some down votes, but Collins attitude reminds me a lot of Olivier Vernon's. Talented players, but seem to be the type that don't see a point in putting their bodies on the line without a good reason. That being said, I can see Collins being motivated enough to play hard for 3 years in order to be able to leave early for the NFL so he can get paid.

Advertisement
I think DT is such a premium position that you take a risk with a kid like him. The DTs are the linchpin of Diaz's defense, so it's the one position where you want to have as many options as possible. Maybe someone gets injured or the other DTs aren't as dominant as we thought they'd be.

I would avoid low character kids as Miami doesn't have the leadership it needs there, but it doesn't sound like Collins is a bad kid. He's just lazy. If a coach making several million dollars doesnt believe he can figure out a way to motivate a lazy high school player, he shouldn't be in the coaching business.

This will probably get me some down votes, but Collins attitude reminds me a lot of Olivier Vernon's. Talented players, but seem to be the type that don't see a point in putting their bodies on the line without a good reason. That being said, I can see Collins being motivated enough to play hard for 3 years in order to be able to leave early for the NFL so he can get paid.
Kid is a headcase that you can tell seemed more intrigued by the recruiting process and playing games

these kids never seem to pan out

like you said we don’t have the leadership currently or coaching staff to control or correct this

good luck to this kid who ever decides to take a waiver on him to “boost”their class

I mean Miami is loaded with DT's. Nesta, maybe Ford if he stayed, Holley, JHH, Blissett, Roberts, Miller, Haye, Taylor, and Collins. I feel Ford leaves after this year, idk if Blissett tries DE again especially if Miami just takes Ishmael and Roche and Phillips leave. I'm cool with 7-8 DT's on the roster. I guess it depends on how it all shakes out after the season but I would take a OL, CB, QB over a 3rd DT unless it's Smith.

Advertisement
Kid is a headcase that you can tell seemed more intrigued by the recruiting process and playing games

these kids never seem to pan out

like you said we don’t have the leadership currently or coaching staff to control or correct this

good luck to this kid who ever decides to take a waiver on him to “boost”their class
I agree with you. And this is an exception rather than a rule, but Matt Corral at Ole Miss had one of the weirdest recruitments, since then he has put his head down, and getting it done.
Not saying these are related in any way, but it does happen

He is FAT AS ****, like approaching Donaldson level.

Palmetto parents were in the bleachers saying we dropped him already.
If no coach on staff is talking to him and the only communication is him putting Taylor in the uncomfortable position of relaying messages in one direction would be my guess.Then he's not getting any papers to sign next month.Kid needs to move on and start reaching out to other schools.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back