MMA UFC Fight Island

Yeah, he didn't come to fight - but we all expected that.

Game plan was just to grind Masvidal up against the fence. Especially when he realised he couldn't take Masvidal down easily.

Boring point fighting, but effective.

No damage done to Masvidal, outside of two illegal headbutts.

It is what it is.

Key was that Masvidal really improved his takedown defense. I don't expect the audience will be clamoring for a rematch, but I can't see Dana White giving Usman another grappler because he is boring enough to watch as it is. I think they'll keep throwing strikers at him in the hopes that maybe his opponent can force the action, since Usman will do just enough to get decisions. He's pretty much Dana White's worst nightmare- a terribly uncharismatic, boring grappler who is going to be very tough to dethrone as champion.

Advertisement
1594534339214.gif

most exciting thing Usman did tonight.

Advertisement
I dont know... Jorge was gassed by the 3rd round and was just hanging on... he also seemed to lean too much into his defense. Some fighters, when they work on something a lot, they get anxious to use it in the octagon instead of leaning into what they do.
Honestly Jorge was out of gas after the first..... He had no strength to get Usman off him...

Cejudo tweeting like he actually wants a piece of Yan. Being retired is better than being dead.

Fight went exactly how I told yall it was gonna go on page 1.

Usman is a high level wrestler & Masvidal has/had no answer for it.

If you can't KO Usman then you better have lungs of steel & elite level grappling if you want to beat him, two things Gamebred has none of.

Everyone will call it boring because people always want a Boxing match in a MMA title fight, but it's not boxing it's mixed martial arts.

Usman is a great fighter & cream of the crop at 170lbs, he'll get hate because people want him to lose, but that's just apart of the script of being a UFC champion who's not a fan favorite.

Fight went exactly how I told yall it was gonna go on page 1.

Usman is a high level wrestler & Masvidal has/had no answer for it.

If you can't KO Usman then you better have lungs of steel & elite level grappling if you want to beat, two things Gamebred has none of.

Everyone will call it boring because people always want a Boxing match in a MMA title fight, but it's not boxing it's mixed martial arts.

Usman is a great fighter & cream of the crop at 170lbs, he'll get hate because people want him to lose, but that's just apart of the script of being a UFC champion who's not a fan favorite.
It's MMA, but Usman only showed his wrestling.

Advertisement
Yeah, he didn't come to fight - but we all expected that.

Game plan was just to grind Masvidal up against the fence. Especially when he realised he couldn't take Masvidal down easily.

Boring point fighting, but effective.

No damage done to Masvidal, outside of two illegal headbutts.

It is what it is.

You can’t blame Usman (I do) for having a boring fight. He didnt wanna put himself in harms way. He learned in the first round Masvidal could hurt him. His only plan was to win, so he clinched and got top control all he could. Everybody knew Masvidal couldn’t last in the championship rounds. Bad matchup to take on 6 days notice. Burns would’ve ended his life.

You have to be an idiot to think the Usman/Masvidal fight was going any other way. Burns would have beat that ***.... I wonder if he’s cleared from the Wuhan virus as fast as Jimmy Johnson was.

Yup, because that was Masvidal's weakness.

He couldn't do anything to counter his wrestling so he lost.
Right, he used his wrestling to avoid a fight. That's the complaint fans have.

Still goes down as a W and he gets his win money - but very few were entertained. It is what it is.

Advertisement

Still goes down as a W and he gets his win money - but very few were entertained. It is what it is.
Hurts Usman in the long run, because he isn’t as marketable which means less value financially. Can’t blame a man for winning though.

Fans complain about everything because they're all just a bunch of McGregor fans who want every fight to be a brawl.

"Fans" hate on Jon Jones, hate on Adesanya, hate on Usman, hate on Khabib, hate on Cejudo, it's wash rinse repeat every event, fans are always bìtchin about every fight not being a knock down drag out brawl because they just don't really get the sport & have a lack of appreciation for the technical aspects of martial arts they go beyond Roman coliseum style death matches.

These dudes are literally some of the greatest in the world at what they do & rarely ever off their game, rarely every lose but "fans" just can't stand it because it's not stylistically a bloodbath fight, they hate to see them dominate.

It was a bad fight. I love wrestling but Usman just didn't do much damage. And Masvidal didn't have enough gas on short notice to stick and move all night.

Advertisement
It was a bad fight. I love wrestling but Usman just didn't do much damage. And Masvidal didn't have enough gas on short notice to stick and move all night.
It was a bad fight for Masvidal because he couldn't do anything with him because styles make fights.

Usman did exactly what he was supposed to do against an opponent that can't stop his wrestling.

Fans complain about everything because they're all just a bunch of McGregor fans who want every fight to be a brawl.

"Fans" hate on Jon Jones, hate on Adesanya, hate on Usman, hate on Khabib, hate on Cejudo, it's wash rinse repeat every event, fans are always bìtchin about every fight not being a knock down drag out brawl because they just don't really get the sport & have a lack of appreciation for the technical aspects of martial arts they go beyond Roman coliseum style death matches.

These dudes are literally some of the greatest in the world at what they do & rarely ever off their game, rarely every lose but "fans" just can't stand it because it's not stylistically a bloodbath fight, they hate to see them dominate.
Fans absolutely want to see domination.

Look at what a pure wrestler like Khabib does to people - it's terrifying and fans pay to see it (even if some complain about it because it's not a kick boxing match).

Usman used his wrestling to avoid a fight there - that's why people are complaining.

Usman is the Floyd Mayweather of UFC. Un-phucking-watchable.

It's no wonder so many people don't like him. Stomping on your opponents foot and throwing harmless shoulder charges from 6 inches away is a sure fire way to create a legacy.

Spare me the "all that matters is winning" nonsense when it comes to this instance. In sports like boxing and UFC the draw and the legacy are just as important as accumulating "points" where no actual damage is done....in the long run people aren't going to pay to watch his fights. God knows I won't pay for another one, and I tend to waste money on stupid ****.

Usman is the Floyd Mayweather of UFC. Un-phucking-watchable.

It's no wonder so many people don't like him. Stomping on your opponents foot and throwing harmless shoulder charges from 6 inches away is a sure fire way to create a legacy.

Spare me the "all that matters is winning" nonsense when it comes to this instance. In sports like boxing and UFC the draw and the legacy are just as important as accumulating "points" where no actual damage is done....in the long run people aren't going to pay to watch his fights. God knows I won't pay for another one, and I tend to waste money on stupid ****.
Who has the better legacy, Nate Diaz or Marty? Marty has the better record and is a champion. Nate will never be forgotten.

Advertisement
Back