UConn -- No football

Advertisement
That's not a great way to state your case that you belong in the ACC.

They were playing this year as an independent IIRC, they may have just found themselves without any dance partners.
Article says they’ve agreed to be a member of the Big East again starting in 21. This was nothing but a way to stop the hemorrhaging of money.

They were 2-10 last year and an independent school that couldn't find any opponents to play this year, with serious financial problems too hope this year doesn't result in them folding their football program which is a serious possibility.

Advertisement
Article says they’ve agreed to be a member of the Big East again starting in 21. This was nothing but a way to stop the hemorrhaging of money.

Exactly. I personally didn't consider them a serious option as an addition to the ACC but I think this would absolutely eliminate them from contention if expansion is imminent. Probably a wise decision though in the immediate if they're fine with the Big East plan.

They’ve wanted to get rid of football for years now. This might be subtle way of starting that process by using Covid as the boogeyman.
They have a 7 year old stadium built on land that used to be Pratt & Whitney's. Hence the name Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Remember when Edsall and Golden were the hottest coaching names on the block! Yikes
It's actually kind of frightening. Some of these corches really can look like the next big thing and then be a massive dumpster once they get a bigger jerb. It's not that hard to get duped.

Advertisement
Two things:

1. Schools of this size with programs that don't make money (football revenue) it really doesn't make sense to play when revenue; topped with health concerns are not trending in a positive place. Some of the smaller schools with no revenue coming in might go this route versus going into further debt.

2. If ACC wants them they will go after them. I'm not sure they have structure currently to be in the conference, losing money this year probably wouldn't help that case.

From SI:

At least part of the Huskies issues stems from an underperforming football program that, according to an article by Sport's Illustrated's Pat Forde, stems from "failures" brought about by bad decisions on the University and athletics department.

"Benedict and his predecessors, and everyone in a decison-making capacity at UConn, has perpetrated breathtaking administrative malpractice when it comes to football. They have screwed up in every way imaginable for **** near a decade. They have made terrible hires, agreed to preposterous contracts and frittered away what little cachet UConn football ever had."
Regardless of who should bear the weight of failure in Stoors, the fact that the university is forced to dum sports teams at this time, and the cancellation of fall spots at others prove the landscape of college athletics is changing and not in a right way.

To me, it sounds like the groundwork is being laid to cancel the program outright.

Don't forget Trestman....what a top 3! Thanks, Donna.

I think it was pretty close between Edsall and Golden actually.

I actually think Edsall might’ve been worse than Golden.

Of those three, I guess you could speculate that Trestman might have been the better choice, as a coach. But I don’t know if he would’ve been very successful in recruiting, his personality comes off like stale white bread.

Advertisement
Back