UConn -- No football

"Benedict and his predecessors, and everyone in a decison-making capacity at UConn, has perpetrated breathtaking administrative malpractice when it comes to football. They have screwed up in every way imaginable for **** near a decade. They have made terrible hires, agreed to preposterous contracts and frittered away what little cachet UConn football ever had."

Sounds like Miami's Athletic Department over the last two decades.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They'll really throw a hissy over there when they cancel woman's basketball. They're irrelevant in football...

Advertisement
I lived in the hellhole that is Hartford when UCONN was pretty good in 1-AA, moving up was a huge mistake. Then they went and built the stadium which was supposed to revitalize Hartford, and pfttttthhh...I've read in a couple of places where they are seriously considering moving down or dropping FB all together.

Advertisement
Edsall knew he was on the chopping block? Happy to not compete for the year and collect checks...?

Didn't they build a brand new stadium when they were in the Big East and sue us for leaving because they invested that amount of money into the program in support of the Big East?
I think it was their slimy state attorney (current senator) Blumenthal who led the Big East court case against us...

They are no longer conference affiliated correct?
They went back to the Big East starting this year but they are playing football as an independent. They're trying to save face by publicly stating the cancelation is for health reasons and safety for the players. The real reason is they're already hemorrhaging money after paying the AAC exit fee and can't put together a schedule with the rest of college football playing a conference only. Even Notre Dame had to join a conference this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Didn't they build a brand new stadium when they were in the Big East and sue us for leaving because they invested that amount of money into the program in support of the Big East?
I think it was their slimy state attorney (current senator) Blumenthal who led the Big East court case against us...
They were a vocal part of the gang of five (along with Va. Tech, Rutgers, Pitt, and West Va.) that sued UM. Blumenthal joined in the suit after it picked up steam because of the exposure it gave him for his senate run.

The UVA pres got Va Tech into the ACC with UM. Pitt eventually got in when the ACC expanded. Rutgers got into the Big 10. West Va got into the big 12. UConn had no where to go except the AAC (the conference with USF, UCF, Temple, etal.). Last season was the last with them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back