UCF hires former Arkansas State AD

Terry Mohajir’s first hire at Ark State as AD was Gus Malzahn, who’s currently available.

The top choice is Jeff Lebby, but if Lebby sticks at Ole Miss, Malzahn, Tyson Helton & Graham Harrell are all candidates who will get interviewed.

Lash ain’t leaving Miami until after this season.
Thank you LCE.

Advertisement
Mohajir was at FAU when I was there he should do an okay job if he hires the right coach. The fans want jeff lebby.

Advertisement
Was that the AD at Arkansas St that threw the tantrum against us in 2017? If so..F him!

Seriously, seriously don't see Lashlee leaving for an HC gig anywhere but one of the big boys.

I think the dumbest thing UCF could have done is claim that ring. They have everything going for them from the standpoint of recruiting, have a ton of resources, arguably the second best location of any big school in the state.... but....

No one is gonna take them seriously anymore. Claiming that championship was laughable and pathetic. Like... turnover backpack bad.

If Lashlee leaves at all, it’ll be for one of the major players. Two people I have talked to (who know far more than I do) say he could have his eyes set on Oklahoma after Lincoln is poached either by the NFL or when Saban retires, possibly Alabama. There is no reason for Lashlee to go to UCF for his first HC gig. He can and will be able to do much better after this season. Potentially even somewhere in the NFL if he has a Joe Brady-like effect this year.

Lashlee gotta long ways to go before OU comes calling, imo. We need to put up some gawdy #’s this season. If anything, it would be best served if he starts at a nice G5 gig for a couple of yrs. But, if we go 15-0 (in my @Go Canes voice), then I can see a P5 squad come knocking.

Advertisement
Wasn’t the first place a read it. It’s not far fetched.

It's not far fetched Lashlee could go to a bunch of schools either. Just because people see it as reasonable doesn't mean there's any merit to it happening.

His name was mentioned for a few different positions over the past few months and to my knowledge it hasn't been confirmed he even interviewed for anything.

I would hope they'd rather get malzahn, since he's lashlee's mentor and all. plus he's available so they wouldn't have to pay a buyout.
They don’t have to pay a buy out to get Lashlee or Lebby or any other sitting OC. It’s a promotion.

Let’s not hide ourselves behind a finger: Lashlee is probably a candidate at UCF and, if offered, he will likely accept the job.

UCF is hands down the best G5 job in the country and probably a better job than many P5.

Lashlee was at Arky State for one season almost a decade ago so I'm a bit dismissive of any substantial ties to this dude. Not saying that it'd be surprising if he gets an interview but more because the AD comprises a list of "hot/gettable" OCs as opposed to any bonds they forged in less than a calendar year in Bumblefuk.
Mohajir top 3 candidates for Arky State this year were Lebby, Longo and Lashlee before hiring Butch Jones. Rhett probably enterviewed for that job.
If Miami needed a new OC they should open the wallet and find some young-un willing to take a better job in South Florida for $1M+. How about the guy from Texas Tech, previously Utah State? A lot of knowledge posters lobbied for him in the past. David Yost? Just throwing a name out there.
David Yost is currently out of job, it would make sense. However I think that if Lashlee leaves, Likens is the OC and we hire another assistant (QB or WR coach). They might even promote Cooney (lol).

Likens offenses at ASU were bad, he had a freshmen QB and a HC that wanted a pro style offense, but still...

Advertisement
threaten talladega nights GIF
I was just thinking the exact same thing lol.

If Lashlee leaves at all, it’ll be for one of the major players. Two people I have talked to (who know far more than I do) say he could have his eyes set on Oklahoma after Lincoln is poached either by the NFL or when Saban retires, possibly Alabama. There is no reason for Lashlee to go to UCF for his first HC gig. He can and will be able to do much better after this season. Potentially even somewhere in the NFL if he has a Joe Brady-like effect this year.
You sitting in Leeds, West Yorkshire talking to people who know about this sort of ****?

GTFOH

Advertisement
Also, from a strictly money perspective, any P5 gig will pay better but the UCF job could be a very nice situation for a young coach. You'd be at one the top G5 programs in the country. You've got a nice recruiting base to work with. The athletic department isn't afraid to spend money, they have some of the highest paid G5 staff. It wouldn't be incredibly tough to win 8-10 games yearly in the AAC and everyone there would be incredibly happy with that. You'd have a much better chance for long term success than at some lower level P5 programs who are just stuck in a three year wash, rinse repeat cycle of hiring and firing coaches because they cant' work miracles.
All of this may be true but UCF isn’t in the habit of buying out coaches. So they most likely aren’t poaching anyone as the HC.

All of this may be true but UCF isn’t in the habit of buying out coaches. So they most likely aren’t poaching anyone as the HC.
I don’t know what their contract stipulations were but both Scott Frost and Josh Heupel were employed as P5 offensive coordinators when UCF hired them to be head coach.

Lashlee gotta long ways to go before OU comes calling, imo. We need to put up some gawdy #’s this season. If anything, it would be best served if he starts at a nice G5 gig for a couple of yrs. But, if we go 15-0 (in my @Go Canes voice), then I can see a P5 squad come knocking.
Most people were complaining Manny needed to cut his teeth at a G5 program as HC and proving something before taking the reigns at a P5...now Lashlee should hold out from a strong G5 gig and wait for a P5 opening??

Advertisement
Back