U of Mich to Hold Spring practice in FL (holy Crap)

Let Harbaugh, or ANY coach, for that matter host camps, practices, group hugs in Coral Gables. UM should just put up billboards at various campuses around the country...

You wanna live here and go to this 100+ ranked school or come to Miami, live and paradise, and attend a top 30 university?

Have the background picture of South Beach.

Let other coaches hold practices wherever they want...UM wins for most recruits I would guess.

If I were USC or UCLA I would do the same thing.

Advertisement
Let Harbaugh, or ANY coach, for that matter host camps, practices, group hugs in Coral Gables. UM should just put up billboards at various campuses around the country...

You wanna live here and go to this 100+ ranked school or come to Miami, live and paradise, and attend a top 30 university?

Let other coaches hold practices wherever they want...UM wins for most recruits I would guess.

Dumb.
You do realize Michigan is an elite university, more prestiguous than UM?

You folks are underrating how bad this is and what a bad precedent this sets.

Dumb.

We are fans of the same school I'm assuming.

Michigan is a highly regarding university without question...just not as highly ranked or prestigious for International Business, Nursing, or Medical School programs. Law and Engineering point taken.

You also realize how Ann Arbor compares to South Florida in surveys of the bellcurve of respondents?

Once again it's about the money & how much you have. Michigan has huge $ and can afford to truck everyone down here for spring practice. The rich get richer. Not that UM would want to but do you think Harbaugh would sit quietly by if Miami suddenly decided to hold spring practice in Michigan? NCAA should get involved.

Dumb.

Michigan is a highly regarding university without question...just not as highly ranked or prestigious for International Business, Nursing, or Medical School programs. Law and Engineering point taken.

You also realize how Ann Arbor compares to South Florida in surveys of the bellcurve of respondents?

Do some research before you talk about things that are incorrect, Michigan is head & shoulders above U of Miami in all those subjects you mentioned and several others. For instance Miami's bell cow academic program is the Medical school, well U of Mich is ranked 10th and Miami is ranked 45th.

Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

And the Law schools are ranked Mich #11 and Miami is ranked #63 .

An as for International Business, U of Mich is ranked 4th who knows where UM is ranked the complex list wouldn't display.
Best International Business Programs | Top Business Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

So unfortunately if a recruit is purely interested in academics first then athletics Miami can't touch Michigan other than Miami has a better graduation rate. I have been having the debate for this for years I am a cane and wifey along with half her family are Wolverines, the other half are Mich St Spartans. I think I may lose the battle with my son ending up at Michigan over Miami.

But back to the original point there is already a huge Michigan presence in Florida due to the transplants, so now allowing U of M to hold a practice here is crazy. Look at the citrus bowl game there was a 2 to 1 Michigan to Florida fan presence at the game and that was in UF's backyard.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement

Dumb.

Do some research before you talk about things that are incorrect, Michigan is head & shoulders above U of Miami in all those subjects you mentioned and several others. For instance Miami's bell cow academic program is the Medical school, well U of Mich is ranked 10th and Miami is ranked 45th.

Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

And the Law schools are ranked Mich [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 1[/URL] and Miami is ranked #63 .

An as for International Business, U of Mich is ranked 4th who knows where UM is ranked the complex list wouldn't display.
Best International Business Programs | Top Business Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

So unfortunately if a recruit is purely interested in academics first then athletics Miami can't touch Michigan other than Miami has a better graduation rate. I have been having the debate for this for years I am a cane and wifey along with half her family are Wolverines, the other half are Mich St Spartans. I think I may lose the battle with my son ending up at Michigan over Miami.

But back to the original point there is already a huge Michigan presence in Florida due to the transplants, so now allowing U of M to hold a practice here is crazy. Look at the citrus bowl game there was a 2 to 1 Michigan to Florida fan presence at the game and that was in UF's backyard.

Go Canes

Let be more clear. As an actual graduate of Miami and a member of the healthcare community...

UM is the world's leading...let me repeat...the world's leading spinal cord research and treatment program. Period.

School of Nursing, again for certain product lines, is ahead of Michigan's.

For Latin America and Middle East based business school academics, again, Miami is ahead.

Marine Science, arguably top 5 in the world, is a program Michigan doesnt even have to the same extent (although they have engineering disciplines Miami doesn't)

Miami has also risen farther and faster over the past 20 years in overall rankings as well...with that said, Miami also was at a lower baseline than Michigan making that task much easier.

Also if I'm not mistaken, but totally open that I might be, wasn't Miami at one time ranked #1 for football APR and actual graduation rates?

I should have been more precise, but let me assure you, I absolutely know what I speak of.

In today's hyper media and mobile world, it will be tougher and tougher for any region to keep its youngest and brightest from the temptation of wanderlust....Michigan or anyone holding practices here isn't going to really affect that. Maybe one or two, but meaningful numbers is doubtful. A kid from SoFla who wants to see the world is the same as a kid from Anywhere, USA who wants to see SoFla.

I just would offer that from a regional perspective, few locations in the US can really compete with the SoFla environs. Not a whole lot of population growth in Michigan as compared to Florida, and SoFla in general.

If we really wanted to look at demographic trends, like that led to Miami's rise starting in the late 70s, I suspect North Carolina is going to get significantly more competitive starting in about 10 years from now as they are seeing a population explosion similar to WPB, Broward, and Dade counties did in the above mentione time period.

Last edited:
of course Michigan is a better school academically than Miami.

but for a majority of these kids, UMiami is good enough. and it's considered to be at higher tier than other FL public schools.

this is more than enough to draw kids who are so academically inclined.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back