Tyriq McCord to SLB.....

McCord isn't fast enough to play LB IMO

In reality, you don't have all 3 LBs on the field these days unless the other team is stacking inside. You play Mccord at SLB and basically bring him downhill out of your 4-3 looks. The rest of the time, you're in Nickel with Grace and probably Owens.

Whatever the case, what we're going to likely ask Mccord, Chad Thomas and AQM do next year will make me cringe.

...IDK, I love watching DE's cover Wrs. I'm surprised you don't.

Advertisement

In reality, you don't have all 3 LBs on the field these days unless the other team is stacking inside. You play Mccord at SLB and basically bring him downhill out of your 4-3 looks. The rest of the time, you're in Nickel with Grace and probably Owens.

Whatever the case, what we're going to likely ask Mccord, Chad Thomas and AQM do next year will make me cringe.

+1000
...and D jackson and probably mike smith.

What a waste!

Trying to figure out why some people are holding out hope that we switch to a 4-3. Golden/Dorito only know the Al Groh 3-4 2 gap variation. Its the only defense they know how to run (or think they know how to run). that's it. They would be starting from scratch with a 4-3 which would spell disaster. they would never do that.

A 4-3 base with press coverage and safety's 10 yards off the LOS will never happen under our special teams coach.

It has been a 4-3 depth chart since 2011. They lie to you to make you happy and not ask questions. It lets them sell to recruits playing a 4-3.

Advertisement
Sorry but McCord isn't a LB. He is too stiff. We should be rotating McCord, Thomas, AQM all the time keep them fresh and have them wreck the QB on a regular basis

Can you expand on this Lu? You don't think we'll stunt more and shoot gaps now that we have more experienced and talented pass rushers to work with?

I love the move of McCord to SAM full time. This is the best possible position for him here as well as in the NFL. He has the perfect skill set to be a All ACC, SAM. This move also helps the future of the SAM position, allowing Mike Smith another year to learn the position.

2015 SAM Depth
SR Tyriq McCord 6-3 248
SO Darrion Owens 6-3 240
RFR Mike Smith 6-1 225 (If no one is injured, he will be a RSO before he is asked to play any significant minutes)
FR Jamie Gordinier 6-4 235 (He will redshirt)

Advertisement
McCord being asked to do what Armbrister and Owens did last year is a nightmare waiting to happen. He should be an ideal 3-4 OLB but not in our scheme.

Over/Under on McCord, AQM, Thomas sacks. 10? I have a vision of Thomas 2 gaping while McCord and AQM are wondering 5-10 yards downfield in coverage.

Per Matt Porter, Tyriq McCord has moved from DE to SAM Linebacker.... scheme change?? 4-3??
DE Chad Thomas
DT Courtel Jenkins
DT Anthony Moten
DE AQM
LB Tyriq McCord
LB Raphael Kirby
LB Jermaine Grace....

On paper looks good..alot of speed in this front 7

My 4-3 would look like this:

Chad Thomas
Courtel Jenkins/Heurtelou
Kamalu
AQM
McCord
Kirby
Grace
Elder/Howard
Bush
Jenkins/Carter
Burns

Upfield. Fast. Forcing teams to beat you with low percentage throws downfield. That defense should be in position to dominate all but 1-2 teams in the ACC.

I agree except I'd have Owens in McCord's spot. In pass rush situations I'd kick Thomas inside to the Jenkins/Heurt spot and bring in McCord.

That defense would be pretty nasty.

if we were going to a 4-3 he wouldnt be recruiting so many linebackers and he would answer questions about it with a straight answer

Kamalu is your prototypical 4-3 3 technique DT. As for McCord, my guess is that they want to have AQM and McCord on the field at the same time unless in prior years when the coaches had them at the same position

Advertisement
doesnt matter if we play a 4-3 or 3-4 with this staff. they employ the same soft ***** *** coverage schemes in both personnel groups. we saw their version of the 4-3 in 2011

Advertisement
McCord has no buisness playing lb, he's a mess in coverage / space . He should have his hand in the dirt majority of the time

Advertisement
Back