Tyree.st louis in the draft

The run game, specifically. Miami has had some good individual pass protectors, and some good OLs who could pass protect as cohesive units.

But it's been a long time since Miami had 5 maulers in the run game.

Definitely. I'm not expecting to see that this year either. I'd say the best recent OL was 2013

LT - Flowers
LG - Jon Feliciano
C - Shane McDermott
RG - Brandon Linder
RT - Seantrel Henderson

Kehoe was the coach of that unit, but those were all guys recruited and most coached under Stoutland (who is a great OL coach). A lot of NFL talent on that OL

Advertisement
I personally believe Boulware beats out Mahoney for the second guard slot.

Not seeming likely based on what Searels has been saying about how Mahoney is grading out and playing in camp, so far. Plus, it seems Scaife has emerged as next man up over Boulware.

It is encouraging that positive things are being said about how Scaife is performing, but it's not even framed as him competing for a starting spot, but rather competing the 6th spot. That is indicative of a first 5 that are performing up to task to deserve those starting spots.

When is the last time we've had good OL play? It's been too long to remember.

Should have dominated in 2013

All five starters made NFL rosters....only one problem

ArtKehoe216px.jpg

EDIT: Didn't see post above

Funny if you look at overall OT Draft Prospects they list Mitch Hyatt #10 and don't even have St. Louis listed in the top 25. They list Hyatt as the #2 OT in the ACC?

He’s starting to generate some draft buzz, where do you all see him going in the next years draft? I think He will end up being a top 100 pick. He’s currently listed as the #1 offensive tackle in the Acc per the draft network.

If the OL plays lights out that changes everything, im trying not to get too excited fuq i hate august.

You're right, its the most promising thing said by any of the coaches. IF, the OL improves that means the drives that stalled on 3rd and shorts get extended and maybe end in points. Plus defense stays off the field and the pressure build on opposing defenses. Confidence-wise this would be a huge step for the whole team. The news on Tito is good also, but like Dwins said this OL talk is huge.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
You're right, its the most promising thing said by any of the coaches. IF, the OL improves that means the drives that stalled on 3rd and shorts get extended and maybe end in points. Plus defense stays off the field and the pressure build on opposing defenses. Confidence-wise this would be a huge step for the whole team. The news on Tito is good also, but like Dwins said this OL talk is huge.

Go Canes!
The OL talk is a game changer that **** changes everything.

Perfect example of why you need to be a bit patient with young OL. He struggled a little bit in his first few snaps as a sophomore and got called a bust.

Perfect example of why you need to be a bit patient with young OL. He struggled a little bit in his first few snaps as a sophomore and got called a bust.

Probably related to that extra point loss against FSU. Left a bad taste in most mouth. Time heal all wounds but I still shake my head how that game ended with him looking to be doing the nae nae while demarcus walker blocks kick and celebrates. (Was supposed to be Coley's moment against team he spurned to play for hometown team)

He has good feet, his thing has always been to get stronger. Looks like he has put in the work and is primed for a big year.

Pretty interesting. I'm expecting an All-Conference type of year from him, Gauthier, and maybe even Donaldson. Our OL might surprise people this year. I think our OL will be strong in pass protection and very inconsistent in runblocking. Our current starting guards, which are largely the question marks seem to be more finesse than power. This is especially true of Mahoney. The game tape on Boulware shows more of a quick footed finesse player, as well. Jahair Jones is actually a total mystery to me. But, he's gone day 1 of spring to present with a lock on the LG spot, so that's encouraging. I hope he can maul some.

As for St. Louis, he is actually fantastic in pass protection. He's largely a finesse/athletic OT. I believe he will be a stalwart for us in pass pro at LT. If he shows some improvement in run blocking, I can see him getting into the 2nd round.
I think we need to temper expectations with our team at the moment. At this point, according to this site, we have about 13-15 All Conference players. It’s fall camp so I get it but I would be beyond ecstatic if we had 3 all conference players on the OL

Advertisement
I think we need to temper expectations with our team at the moment. At this point, according to this site, we have about 13-15 All Conference players. It’s fall camp so I get it but I would be beyond ecstatic if we had 3 all conference players on the OL

I'm not expecting 1st team for all these guys. But, let me break it down for you.

Tyler Gauthier was All-ACC honorable mention last year and is the leader for the offensive line of a team that is supposed to be one of the top in the ACC.

Navaughn Donaldson was All-ACC honorable mention last year and Freshman All-American. I know he is at tackle now, but I'm a bigger believer than most in his skillset translating well to tackle as he refines technique and gets accustomed to the footwork. Seems he's trending that way right now.

Tyree St. Louis is going to be very good in pass protection. He probably deserved some All-ACC recognition. Check out the below blurb on Tyree St. Louis from 11/19/2017:

St. Louis has been a consistent pass protector at right tackle the entire season. Analytic website Pro Football Focus has given St. Louis a 88.7 pass blocking grade, which is an elite grade that ranks 12th in the country among tackles.

According to Pro Football Focus, St. Louis has allowed just two sacks and 11 quarterback pressures on the season in 395 pass blocking snaps. That’s an average of just one quarterback pressure per game.

I don't think expectation for these guys is unrealistic. I'm not tempering them.

I'm not expecting 1st team for all these guys. But, let me break it down for you.

Tyler Gauthier was All-ACC honorable mention last year and is the leader for the offensive line of a team that is supposed to be one of the top in the ACC.

Navaughn Donaldson was All-ACC honorable mention last year and Freshman All-American. I know he is at tackle now, but I'm a bigger believer than most in his skillset translating well to tackle as he refines technique and gets accustomed to the footwork. Seems he's trending that way right now.

Tyree St. Louis is going to be very good in pass protection. He probably deserved some All-ACC recognition. Check out the below blurb on Tyree St. Louis from 11/19/2017:

I don't think expectation for these guys is unrealistic. I'm not tempering them.

Great post

Good post. I expect Donaldson to get some accolades. Think both Gauthier and St Louis should be dependable but I’m not as optimistic yet. I’m still of the mind set that the OL is one of our major question marks and hardly a strength of this team. Even the reports that they manhandled the 2nd team DL doesn’t do much for me right now as I think our interior depth is suspect on the DL. We shall see what happens and I hope to God that I’m wrong here cause if our OL holds up and the DT emerges, it will be a great season.

Advertisement
21 consecutive starts is a big reason for preseason hype. He claims to be more comfortable at LT so he should thrive. Arguably our 2nd best senior.

A lot of this is going to depend on how well he does at LT. A bad year and he’ll drop like a bomb.

Advertisement
Definitely. I'm not expecting to see that this year either. I'd say the best recent OL was 2013

LT - Flowers
LG - Jon Feliciano
C - Shane McDermott
RG - Brandon Linder
RT - Seantrel Henderson

Kehoe was the coach of that unit, but those were all guys recruited and most coached under Stoutland (who is a great OL coach). A lot of NFL talent on that OL
Woah...chill out a bit. There’s 5 nfl guys on that line and I don’t think we can say that about this line yet.

Probably related to that extra point loss against FSU. Left a bad taste in most mouth. Time heal all wounds but I still shake my head how that game ended with him looking to be doing the nae nae while demarcus walker blocks kick and celebrates. (Was supposed to be Coley's moment against team he spurned to play for hometown team)

He has good feet, his thing has always been to get stronger. Looks like he has put in the work and is primed for a big year.

lol. Are you talking about this? Yeah that was on Bagley for line driving the kick instead of kicking it with any arc. Walker had to jump about two inches to block that kick. Pause it at the 24 second mark and you will see his horrible mechanics with his plant foot. He just straight up shanked it. To blame that on Tyree is just ridiculous. Bagley was very inconsistent in clutch situations through out his UM career, which was made worse by his nonchalant attitude. So glad he's gone.

Hopefully Baxa is better, but I think he will struggle especially early.

Last edited:
Woah...chill out a bit. There’s 5 nfl guys on that line and I don’t think we can say that about this line yet.

Who said this line would be as good as that line? Nobody was even comparing the 2 lines. That was a response to the question of when was the last time we had a good OL.

Advertisement
Back