Tyler Johnson SR highlights

The twitch and suddenness this kid has is elite. He has excellent short-area quickness. That said he will need a couple years to develop but at least he has the athletic traits you look for at LB. He just needs to develop the read and react skills necessary to play LB.

Kid has an edge. I like that in a LB.

Advertisement
Every team in America takes HS edge rushers and makes them stand-up/off the ball LBs

Prince Kollie - ND - HS RB/Edge and he's going to be a MLB or WLB
Zavier Carter - LSU - All he does in HS is rush the passer and he's going to play off the ball for them
Raneiria Dillworth - UNC - Same thing. He may even play the Rover/star at UNC dropping back to more of a S/LB hybid

There are guys that play a traditional LB in HS and have the physical attributes to stay there in college (big enough and can run) but those guys are typically getting swallowed up by Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc and they reside in SEC country. In Georgia, you've got more 300 pound DTs and 245 pound DEs and the guys that are 215 are playing LB already. That's not the case in South Florida.
Kollie just won the **** Butkus high school linebacker of the year award too

Every team in America takes HS edge rushers and makes them stand-up/off the ball LBs

Prince Kollie - ND - HS RB/Edge and he's going to be a MLB or WLB
Zavier Carter - LSU - All he does in HS is rush the passer and he's going to play off the ball for them
Raneiria Dillworth - UNC - Same thing. He may even play the Rover/star at UNC dropping back to more of a S/LB hybid

There are guys that play a traditional LB in HS and have the physical attributes to stay there in college (big enough and can run) but those guys are typically getting swallowed up by Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc and they reside in SEC country. In Georgia, you've got more 300 pound DTs and 245 pound DEs and the guys that are 215 are playing LB already. That's not the case in South Florida.
That’s right

but we don’t run a 3-4 scheme....

We run a variation of a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 depending how you wanna label the striker

Miami use to make safety’s into linebackers with good instincts with elite speed... now we do the opposite make HS rushers into linebackers who need to learn to play the position reading things in front of them instead of just chasing contact

Brooks is a fair example. I think he was a good take and will be a good player. He played with a bad foot injury this year which slowed him down. But he’s still TBD.

The other guys are bad athletes. McCray ran a 4.92 with a 65 SPARQ. Smith ran a 4.86 with a 72 SPARQ. Wilder weighed 189 pounds with a 79 SPARQ. They failed because they didn’t have that much talent.

Branden Jennings was a high school linebacker. So were Steed and McCloud. Meanwhile, the top LBs in the upcoming draft played DE, WR and QB. It’s a tricky position to project.

Tyler is a take because he’s a strong, quick, mean and explosive athlete. He tosses Armella like a ragdoll. He changes directions. The coaches saw him play LB up-close at camp and loved his movement.

Will he translate? Will he be coached up? All fair questions. But don’t write the guy off just because he played the same high school position as Micah Parsons, Kenneth Murray and Rashaan Evans.

That’s fair. I don’t like the example of Steed b/c the kid has dealt w/ devastating injury after devastating injury both in high school & college. I feel very bad for Steed & happy to see him on the field at all.

Mike Smith should’ve never been put as a LB. When played here & rushed the QB, his effectiveness was 100% more effective vs. being put in a position to cover in space. I was never a fan of Jennings, or McCray. Wilder committing felt last minute af. Lol. Unfortunately, can’t say anything about Wilder b/c he suffered a career ending injury. McCloud was solid his freshman yr, and just continually regressed as time went on, especially when his field time became limited due to a change in defensive philosophy. Imo, our 2016 defense was a lot more LB friendly. Imo, from 2018-today, it’s made those guys way vulnerable.

Micah Parson is a fair comparison, but Micah was also a Five Star Player. Just watching a few games of PSU, particularly his 2nd yr, Parson was used to rush a lot. But to ur point, D; I’m not writing off any kid. Its a blank canvas until shown otherwise.

I just ? the coaching staff, their development of their own recruited players, their evaluations, and their habitual propensity of putting guys out of position which takes away from skill sets.

That’s right

We run a variation of a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 depending how you wanna label the striker

Miami use to make safety’s into linebackers with good instincts with elite speed... now we do the opposite make HS rushers into linebackers who need to learn to play the position reading things in front of them instead of just chasing contact

THIS!!!!!

Advertisement
That’s right

What does a 3/4 or a 4/3 have to do with anything? These guys are edge defenders in HS that aren’t going to college to play an edge roll. 4/3 or 3/4 they’re going to play MLB or WLB. It’s the same thing regardless of the alignment. They’re not going to be a Buck.

I agree we used to take Safeties and make them LBs or whatever and we did that with Finley, Frierson, Keontra, etc so what’s your point? We do that.

You can’t always take a 195-205 pound safety and make him take on and shed blocks against a 320 pound OLineman. Some can but it’s rare. It’s not like Brooks, Huff, Wilder, Johnson, Cave, etc can’t run. They’re all 4.6 40 guys. They’re playing where they belong. They need to be coached properly. There’s RBs and QBs making transition to LB that had never played the position before in their life that are becoming all conference and all American in 2 years.

No testing numbers or camps, which is part of the reason he never blew up. I suspect he would've tested through the roof.

He also missed time as a junior for fighting. He is a former 189-pound wrestler with a temper.
Any idea why he never tested? Seems like the best way to get attention if you’re an elite athlete and want to get more P5 offers

That’s right

And unfortunately we don’t have a scheme or coaching staff that has shown the ability to teach that.

Advertisement
I know you are not saying that he will be Shazier, but Shazier was an anomaly lol. Pound for pound, he might’ve been the best athlete in the state that year. He was a first round pick for a reason and was wanted by every school in the country for a reason. He also received elite A+ coaching to get him to reach that level, but that’s a story for another day.

Any testing numbers or anything for this kid? Also was he hurt as a Junior? The JR stats are mediocre is why I ask. Any stats for his Senior season listed anywhere?
You make a most valuable point! Coaching! The current defensive staff lack the ability the coach these kids to a level any higher than their HS coaches.

Yeah, he is twitched up and has rush ability but how will it translate? Thats the question with him. When is the last time we have hit on one of these types? Yeah Brooks has flashed, but he isn’t that guy yet.

Mike Smith? No
De’Andre Wilder? Wasn’t he a full time rusher in HS too? I know he got injured but we didn’t hear much from him even before that unfortunate event.
Terry McCray? Absolutely not
Travis Williams? Psh

I am sure that I am forgetting a name or 2 but you get my point. These stand up rushers that we try to turn into full time LBs has been **** near 0% hit rate. Brooks is the best one but again, he hasn’t done enough to be labeled a “hit” yet, IMO. I’d rather us try to find sure things, or get a proven LB coach in here who won’t waste these kids because I have little faith this kid will buck the recent trend of these types signing with us. Why should I? we can barely develop true full time High School LBs.

Totally agree with where you're coming from. I've been saying the same things for a while now. I don't trust the staff to develop these guys.

Difference here is Johnson has elite traits and if he's anything like his brother he won't need help to reach his ceiling.

Compare Johnson to Brooks and it's night and day. Brooks lived off unblocked production and was/is stiff. Johnson creates knockback in the run game and defeats blocks with spins and agile swipe moves. He's still a projection to off-ball LB but it's one that you have to try. He has Micah Parsons potential and in the worst case he still brings some juice as a situational edge rusher.

Advertisement
Y’all making this too complicated. Kids a freak. Give him time to learn the position. We have guys like cave Flagg Brooks troutman ahead of him as far as linebacker experience so it’s not like he has to start as a freshman

We need more kids with tempers..

Not those fake practice field tempers storming off the field. But The tempers who hate losing and increase the physicality/urgency/competitiveness on Tuesday and Wednesday practices. Bring me war stories.

We need more kids with tempers..

Not those fake practice field tempers storming off the field. But The tempers who hate losing and increase the physicality/urgency/competitiveness on Tuesday and Wednesday practices. Bring me war stories.
Troutman Davis and Johnson will get in minimum 2 fights between the trio in spring ball. And that’s a good thing. We got soft Instagram tough guys on this team

Advertisement
Brooks is a fair example. I think he was a good take and will be a good player. He played with a bad foot injury this year which slowed him down. But he’s still TBD.

The other guys are bad athletes. McCray ran a 4.92 with a 65 SPARQ. Smith ran a 4.86 with a 72 SPARQ. Wilder weighed 189 pounds with a 79 SPARQ. They failed because they didn’t have that much talent.

Branden Jennings was a high school linebacker. So were Steed and McCloud. Meanwhile, the top LBs in the upcoming draft played DE, WR and QB. It’s a tricky position to project.

Tyler is a take because he’s a strong, quick, mean and explosive athlete. He tosses Armella like a ragdoll. He changes directions. The coaches saw him play LB up-close at camp and loved his movement.

Will he translate? Will he be coached up? All fair questions. But don’t write the guy off just because he played the same high school position as Micah Parsons, Kenneth Murray and Rashaan Evans.

no one should ever slander Wilder. Still my favorite interview of all time. Can’t help but to watch this anytime someone mentions his name.

does anyone know if he stayed around and got a degree?

Compare Johnson to Brooks and it's night and day. Brooks lived off unblocked production and was/is stiff. Johnson creates knockback in the run game and defeats blocks with spins and agile swipe moves. He's still a projection to off-ball LB but it's one that you have to try. He has Micah Parsons potential and in the worst case he still brings some juice as a situational edge rusher.

This has been my issue with Manny's evals. We don't have the coaching staff to develop guys and we try and take high school edge rushers and turn them into linebackers. McCloud didn't work, Joyner didn't work, brooks isn't working, and I have a feeling Davis will be the next in line.

They all have talent but are best suited for a 3-4 OLB spot.

no one should ever slander Wilder. Still my favorite interview of all time. Can’t help but to watch this anytime someone mentions his name.

does anyone know if he stayed around and got a degree?

one of the best ever.

Farrel: How heavy are they recruiting you?
Wilder: ummmmm...Very Great!

I knew we were in for some classic sh*t when it started off like that lol

Farrel: Lets talk about schools you wanted to visit...you mentioned 3 schools that you want to visit,tell me what those 3 schools are?
Wilder:
umm Florida,umm Florida State, Auburn, Alabama again, Lsu, Tennesee, Broward College, Lynn University, Devry and ummm...Louisville

one of the best ever.

Farrel: How heavy are they recruiting you?
Wilder: ummmmm...Very Great!

I knew we were in for some classic sh*t when it started off like that lol

Farrel: Lets talk about schools you wanted to visit...you mentioned 3 schools that you want to visit,tell me what those 3 schools are?
Wilder:
umm Florida,umm Florida State, Auburn, Alabama again, Lsu, Tennesee, Broward College, Lynn University, Devry and ummm...Louisville

Farrel asked him what should I work on, jit looked at him up and down and goes "get in shape" lol

Advertisement
Back