Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

Lol GIF by MOODMAN
You can clown all you want. I know it hard for low IQ people to understand, but those are facts.

Advertisement
You missed my point completely. Just look at the portal this cycle. There are thousands of players available in the portal, but there wasn't an abundance of top quality players available. There were a few. There will be even less next year because this is the last year of the Covid seniors.

The limited number of high quality players will dictate building the roster primarily from high school recruits where time is on your side rather than waiting for the portal window to open and hoping an abundance of talent is there.

I didn't say not to use the portal. I said it should have its limits.

Schools like Colorado who are relying on a majority of their roster from the portal won't rise from mediocrity because they can't aquire enough top talent given the high percentage of the roster needing to be filled from the portal. I don't think any school can aquire such a high rate of QUALITY talent from the portal. It's a simple supply and demand issue. There are too many schools after too few talented experienced players. You can find bodies to fill a roster as Colorado is doing, but they wouldn't be the quality that Miami is looking for to achieve championship level.

2024 is case and point for Miami. We wanted another DT to go with Barrow. We will likely not add another DT because the pool of remaining players with ability and experience is drying up. Similar for the DBs. Hypothetically, if Miami needed twice as many portal players this year than they brought in, you would have a watered down roster.

So, the supply and demand of the marketplace is going to determine how many quality players you can actually compete for and hope to get in a given year. You can always find bodies, but the quality of players Miami wants won't be in abundance. There will be fewer moving forward because this is the last year of Covid seniors, which is a bigger deal than people realize.

Mario signed the #1 DL class for the 2024 cycle. He's not sitting around saying I'll just bypass high school and get the #1 DL room from the portal. That would be improbable to impossible.

There is the law of diminishing returns with the portal. The more your needs are, the less quality you will get as your needs fill up.

I did not miss your point, I merely dismissed it.

You missed my point completely. Just look at the portal this cycle. There are thousands of players available in the portal, but there wasn't an abundance of top quality players available. There were a few. There will be even less next year because this is the last year of the Covid seniors.

The limited number of high quality players will dictate building the roster primarily from high school recruits where time is on your side rather than waiting for the portal window to open and hoping an abundance of talent is there.

I didn't say not to use the portal. I said it should have its limits.

Schools like Colorado who are relying on a majority of their roster from the portal won't rise from mediocrity because they can't aquire enough top talent given the high percentage of the roster needing to be filled from the portal. I don't think any school can aquire such a high rate of QUALITY talent from the portal. It's a simple supply and demand issue. There are too many schools after too few talented experienced players. You can find bodies to fill a roster as Colorado is doing, but they wouldn't be the quality that Miami is looking for to achieve championship level.

2024 is case and point for Miami. We wanted another DT to go with Barrow. We will likely not add another DT because the pool of remaining players with ability and experience is drying up. Similar for the DBs. Hypothetically, if Miami needed twice as many portal players this year than they brought in, you would have a watered down roster.

So, the supply and demand of the marketplace is going to determine how many quality players you can actually compete for and hope to get in a given year. You can always find bodies, but the quality of players Miami wants won't be in abundance. There will be fewer moving forward because this is the last year of Covid seniors, which is a bigger deal than people realize.

Mario signed the #1 DL class for the 2024 cycle. He's not sitting around saying I'll just bypass high school and get the #1 DL room from the portal. That would be improbable to impossible.

There is the law of diminishing returns with the portal. The more your needs are, the less quality you will get as your needs fill up.

Great points.

When there were a ton of high-quality Portal recruits a few years ago, and Norvell had very little competition, he kicked ***.

Now, in the days of NIL-salary-cap-casualties, there's a massive number of Portal players, but not a ton of talent, and now everyone in college football is competing for the same few high-quality recruits.

People will soon forget about Prison Mike, the Portal King.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great points.

When there were a ton of high-quality Portal recruits a few years ago, and Norvell had very little competition, he kicked ***.

Now, in the days of NIL-salary-cap-casualties, there's a massive number of Portal players, but not a ton of talent, and now everyone in college football is competing for the same few high-quality recruits.

Keep working it, you are getting closer to having a point.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Great points.

Remember when Mel Tucker was the portal king?

Advertisement
Back