Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

For certain. I believe it's Ole Miss and Us. Unfortunately for Baron neither Miami or Ole Miss seem to be giving him the number he's looking for which is the reason for the delay. Wondering if another team jumps into the mix. Were he has the advantage there's not much on the market at DE. Are we comfortable enough to go with McConathy, Lightfoot, or Bryant as the 4th DE? Not to mention Mesidor coming off an injury.
The Mesidor injury gives me some pause because a top three of him, Bain and Alston is quite strong with a young guy pushing for that 4th spot.

Advertisement
The emotional attachment comes with the fandom of the school... appreciate the players putting on the uniform and not being tied to coaches or players coming and going...

Some tried to make the portal the devil the last few years because it was not our strength at the time ... I root for the Canes.. not the coaching staff... I'll root for all the elite human being/mercenaries whether they came through the portal or from high school...

Can you ever stop bull****ting about this "tried to make the portal the devil" nonsense? It's a fake argument that you are stirring up, based on posts that were never made.

First, we had dopey porsters who wanted us to take an extreme position on recruiting the Portal. They were proposing an approach somewhere between F$U and Colorado. And TO THAT, many rational posters pushed back to point out how many blue-chip HIGH SCHOOL recruits we had recently signed, or were in great shape to sign, and that maybe loading up in the Portal could be counter-productive to those efforts.

Second, please post all of these screen shots of posters "trying to make the Portal the devil". You can't. You won't. It's just your Pulp Fiction "pride" talking, because people had good rebuttal arguments for every porster who tried to fellate Norvell and Coach Neon for being PortalGirthMasters.

Finally, all of this "talk of building through the Portal" has become tiresome and reductive. When we are primarily recruiting 1-year guys, then it is NOT "building through the Portal", unless we are building sandcastles on the beach. But if you take a bunch of multi-year guys like Ponds (or Verse), then you are "building through the Portal". Otherwise, a bunch of 1-year guys are hole-pluggers until the younger guys are ready. And, yeah, I know you Portal Worshippers like to pretend there is no distinction between HS recruiting and Portal recruiting, but there is.

Nobody really has an issue with recruiting the Portal. Being HONEST about the pros and cons of the Portal does not equate to "trying to make the Portal the devil".

I changed my tune pretty quickly watching it play out

In theory it makes sense. Build through recruiting and fill needs through the portal just like any professional organization (draft vs free agency)

But then seeing these high school kids commanding mega money and then jumping ship anyway it’s like well what’s the point?

There’s a mix in there somewhere but to draw a line in the sand with either makes no sense

Yes.

And the line has been ever-shifting because of constant rule-changes and evolving issues. And the approach will change again soon once we move to putting the players on payroll as employees.

Finding the right mix is a challenge. There are some porsters who act like they know those answers. The reality is that Colorado (rapidly) and FSU (at least at the end of the season) have proven the limitations of overreliance on the Portal.

Advertisement
Can you ever stop bull****ting about this "tried to make the portal the devil" nonsense? It's a fake argument that you are stirring up, based on posts that were never made.

First, we had dopey porsters who wanted us to take an extreme position on recruiting the Portal. They were proposing an approach somewhere between F$U and Colorado. And TO THAT, many rational posters pushed back to point out how many blue-chip HIGH SCHOOL recruits we had recently signed, or were in great shape to sign, and that maybe loading up in the Portal could be counter-productive to those efforts.

Second, please post all of these screen shots of posters "trying to make the Portal the devil". You can't. You won't. It's just your Pulp Fiction "pride" talking, because people had good rebuttal arguments for every porster who tried to fellate Norvell and Coach Neon for being PortalGirthMasters.

Finally, all of this "talk of building through the Portal" has become tiresome and reductive. When we are primarily recruiting 1-year guys, then it is NOT "building through the Portal", unless we are building sandcastles on the beach. But if you take a bunch of multi-year guys like Ponds (or Verse), then you are "building through the Portal". Otherwise, a bunch of 1-year guys are hole-pluggers until the younger guys are ready. And, yeah, I know you Portal Worshippers like to pretend there is no distinction between HS recruiting and Portal recruiting, but there is.

Nobody really has an issue with recruiting the Portal. Being HONEST about the pros and cons of the Portal does not equate to "trying to make the Portal the devil".
Fax

Lane had highly ranked clases at USC and UT.

Pre-portal. And not so good at Ole Miss.

Hey, Butch Davis was a great recruiter 15-20 years ago. Why doesn't he have a job? Under the cway "what a guy did 15 years ago should still be relevant" standard, Butch should be fielding multiple $10M/year offers, right?

Advertisement
Pre-portal. And not so good at Ole Miss.

Hey, Butch Davis was a great recruiter 15-20 years ago. Why doesn't he have a job? Under the cway "what a guy did 15 years ago should still be relevant" standard, Butch should be fielding multiple $10M/year offers, right?
K

Coward.

Advertisement

TLDR: We were wrong to excuse the use of the portal when Mario was struggling with it and are really glad it has picked up now.

I changed my tune pretty quickly watching it play out

In theory it makes sense. Build through recruiting and fill needs through the portal just like any professional organization (draft vs free agency)

But then seeing these high school kids commanding mega money and then jumping ship anyway it’s like well what’s the point?

There’s a mix in there somewhere but to draw a line in the sand with either makes no sense

I don’t think HS kids are going to keep commanding this type of NIL. Maybe the Jeremiah Smiths of the world….

The people signing these checks aren’t going to continue doing so at the same figure with this trend of kids leaving immediately after signing NLI’s or after 1 season.

This shouldn’t be misconstrued with me suggesting to not recruit HS. I just believe the market prices will drop significantly. The big bucks will be for proven portal entrants.

Just recruit the **** out of HS and the portal. It’s the only way to go now. One or the other leaves you in other programs dust.

Advertisement
TLDR: We were wrong to excuse the use of the portal when Mario was struggling with it and are really glad it has picked up now.

Do you even bother with accuracy? Proofread yourself?

"Excuse the use of the Portal"? Work on articulating yourself in proper English syntax.

I see that you still haven't provided any of the fictitious posts where people "tried to make the Portal the devil". I'm sure you're still researching that false claim of yours, now that it has been challenged.

I don’t think HS kids are going to keep commanding this type of NIL. Maybe the Jeremiah Smiths of the world….

The people signing these checks aren’t going to continue doing so at the same figure with this trend of kids leaving immediately after signing NLI’s or after 1 season.

This shouldn’t be misconstrued with me suggesting to not recruit HS. I just believe the market prices will drop significantly. The big bucks will be for proven portal entrants.

Just recruit the **** out of HS and the portal. It’s the only way to go now. One or the other leaves you in other programs dust.
I agree in general. I know some people involved with NIL at other schools and the vibe I get is that while programs are competing with eachother there’s also somewhat of a silent gentlemen’s agreement in ways to try and work together to stem the tide

It’s bad business

I agree in general. I know some people involved with NIL at other schools and the vibe I get is that while programs are competing with eachother there’s also somewhat of a silent gentlemen’s agreement in ways to try and work together to stem the tide

It’s bad business

That’s interesting. Essentially school X offers 100k, school Y offers 125k and won’t go higher….with a back room handshake between X and Y that if X wants to go higher….to please keep it within an expected range?

Advertisement
Back