Two year haul (long)

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
I've done this post a couple times before, and I still find it's useful to look at classes from a two-year perspective when examining hits, misses, and needs for the future. You can find the one I did last year here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes-recruiting/116987 if somebody wants to look at a THREE-year haul lol.

Anyway here's the 2018 version -

QB - Perry, Weldon, Williams - Grade - A

Perry is our QB of the future...unless Williams is. Both have tremendous upside and have more raw talent than any QB we've had on the roster in a very long time. Really can't argue with the results here as Richt got his QB each of the last two years. Let's get 1 more in 2019.

RB - Dallas, Burns, Lingard, Davis - Grade A

The development of Travis Homer as a legitimate #1 RB and the emergence of Deejay Dallas as a real backfield threat were pleasant surprises in 2017. Lingard is a top-5 RB nationally and has been the Ambassador for this class since Day 1. I love Davis' game. Burns is who we thought he was so far but I love our stable going forward. I'd like us to take 1 RB in 2019.

WR - Njoku, Harley, Thomas, Pope, Hightower, Wiggins, Ezzard - Grade - A+

An embarrassment of riches here. I mean, somebody show me a better 2-year haul I dare you. Really nothing more to say here. Killer job by Dugans and Co. I can see us only taking 2-3 WRs next year if they're the "right" 2-3.

TE - Polendy, Jordan, Mallory - Grade - A

I wanted us to land 2 TEs in 2018 and boy howdy did we nail it. Jordan and Mallory are arguably the two best TEs in the nation. I'd like us to get 1-2 more next year.

OL - Donaldson, Herbert, Gaynor, Dykstra, Hillery, Scaife, Campbell, Reed - Grade - A

Another outstanding 2-year group here. Donaldson is a man-child, and I'm really high on Herbert and Gaynor especially (even with some early growing pains.) Scaife can play with anybody in the country and Reed is nasty at OG. I'd like another 3-4 OL for 2019 because, always.

DE - Johnson, Garvin, Rousseau, Joyner - Grade - C+

This is a tough one. With DJ gone we have a real depth problem all of a sudden at DE. I do really like Rousseau.
Garvin of course is a beast but we need numbers. Look for 3-4 DE in 2019

DT - Ford, Odenigbo (transfer), Silvera, Miller - Grade - B

Nesta alone keeps this group in the B range at minimum IMO - he's that important to the 2-year grade at this position. I know Kul loves Jon Ford and I'm excited to see what happens with him going forward. Miller is underrated - anyone who's seen his film will tell you (@Hurricane Vision). The early departure of Norton and McIntosh made this position a real need sadly, and we did "well" here, if not elite-ly (not a word.) Odenigbo is at best a wait-and-see rental. Let's try and get 2-3 DTs in 2019.

LB - Jennings, Wilder, Steed, Joyner- Grade - C

We took 1 LB in Joyner this year. think that was a mistake. I hope we pursue at least 3 in 2019.

CB - Bandy, Dean, Blades, Bethel, Ivey - Grade - B-

I was really tempted to grade this group lower based solely on who we "missed" on the last two years, but you can't argue that guys like Bandy, Ivey, and Blades aren't talented. Yes, we need to start pulling in those blue-chippers here like we have been at WR, but this group on its own is pretty darn good. We still need 3-4 more CBs in 2019. Again.

S - Carter, Smith, Frierson, Hall - Grade - A-

I love, LOVE Frierson and Hall. Frierson might start at CB but I think he will make big money as a FS. Smith really started to come on as a box safety last year and I still love Carter as a headhunter. I see us taking another safety or 2 next year as well.

Overall Two-Year Class Grade - A-

Our DB recruiting has been more than disappointing based on who we DIDN'T sign, but this is a really, really good couple of classes. I still don't know that they're "playoff" level classes but man they're pretty darn close. The offensive recruiting has been nothing short of brilliant the last two years, esp. at the skill positions. We need more elite-level numbers at DL and CB to make me feel comfortable that we're truly on the path. As such, my personal list of needs for 2019 is almost entirely on the defensive side of the ball:

1) DE
2) LB
3) CB
4) DT
5) OL (just because)

Last edited:
Advertisement
The two year DE haul is really just Garvin and Rousseau as Joyner was recruited to play LB.

DT should be a D- because of the numbers

and CB should be a D- because of the local talent that was available the last 2 years

LB is an F

Defensive staff needs to step up recruiting

Need 3-4 top LBs, DTs, DEs and DBs in 2019

Joyner isn't a de and the grades for de and dt are way too high. Just look at depth chart , lacking quality and quantity.

Advertisement
DT is a C+ because we haven't seen any of those guys play much plus we have a numbers problem. I get how Nesta keeps the grade up but at the end of the day he is just 1 true freshman.

Edited to reflect Joyner as a LB. My bad. Though I still think he'll play mostly close to the LOS.

I probably weighted quality over quantity too much on the DL - numbers are an absolute concern there. Talent-wise I like Garvin, Rousseau, Nesta, and Ford a lot.

Advertisement
Great write up!, we need to nail DL, LB, OL , & always one QB next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TE-Should've pushed for another TE when Haskins and Irvin started to look like f'ups. If Irvin steps up big time and allows Brevin and Mallory time to acclimate we're fine. If not this is hole on the roster for 2018.

LB grade D. We could be in a really bad place if 2 LB's declare.

DE grade D. If Jackson declares we're once again in another hole.

We're playing whack a mole right now, everytime we correct one depth issue another one pops up. Hopefully over the next 2 cycles we can start retaining talent at every position and starting building some upper classmen depth.

Outstanding 2 classes given our production on the field the last five years. Honestly the recruiting is punching above our weight.

I have no idea how you can grade two 4* QBs and a 3* QB and call that an A. So, what do you call Georgia's QB recruiting over the past two seasons where they are landing two 5* QBs? Clemsons with another two 5* QBs, one of which is the highest rated recruit in the 247 database all-time? Alabamas with a kid that just won them a national title and was considered one of the best prospects ever at an Elite11 camp? C'mon, Good Brother ghost...be real right now. Miami does not get an A for their QB recruiting.

I've touched upon Miami's OL recruiting in another thread. Its not even in the same league as other top teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. How you, too, could give that an A...I have no idea. Its a bunch of 3* kids and a few 4*. Its just not up to snuff. I like a few of the kids, too, but its just not.

Giving us a B for DT recruiting is some homerism. Again, discussed in another thread about a month ago, its not even comparable to elite teams around the country. Its down right poor in comparison. Nesta is the only player that keeps it from an outright F grade and even with Nesta, its struggling to put together a passing grade considering the importance of the position.

Linebacker is just a bunch of 3* kids. They are not elite, but I would give a C, as well. We are in deep trouble once our starters leave without some dramatic coaching here.

Advertisement
Good stuff. Plays out how we expected, Offensive recruiting is elite, defensive recruiting needs serious improvement. Hopefully Richt can fix it for the 2019 class.

my thoughts, after reading your thoughts -

If a two year linebacker group that gets a C had no players in it one year, does that mean you gave last year an A+ and this year an F? That grade is too high IMO

Johnson is no longer part of the two year haul at DE. That grade is too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing this. As you stated the lack of numbers at certain spots may not be receiving enough attention in your grades. The D end and tackle numbers are alarming. Linebacker is a complete mystery.

Joyner better have 5 star talent because the amount of roles he's apparently going to fill is done by a once in a generation type prospect.

Advertisement
cant blame cool for DJ being soft, two dt's leaving when they shouldnt ,and patachan always getting hurt. Tyreic Martin needs to show us somethign tho.

WTF is op smoking.

Lol at DT, DE, LB, S & CB

Plus RB & TE have only one strong year of recruiting each.

Sorry to say but we May need to sabanize on defense already. A lot of these kids aren’t trusting any other system.

Last edited:
Your grading is a bit gracious along the DL.

If we needed 6 at a position and only got 4, as an example, then we got 2 F grades for the ones we didn't get.

And we ARE short at both the DE and DT positions.

And very short on experience at DT.

Getting a grad xfer instead of a JUCO for the added experience was also a fail.

Advertisement
Back