Two year haul (long)

Advertisement
Defensive staff needs to step up recruiting

Need 3-4 top LBs, DTs, DEs and DBs in 2019

Don’t doubt we’ll get LBs in 2019. DB will be a tough road (see 2018) and we usually struggle at DT/DE - the money position.

TE-Should've pushed for another TE when Haskins and Irvin started to look like f'ups. If Irvin steps up big time and allows Brevin and Mallory time to acclimate we're fine. If not this is hole on the roster for 2018.

LB grade D. We could be in a really bad place if 2 LB's declare.

DE grade D. If Jackson declares we're once again in another hole.

We're playing whack a mole right now, everytime we correct one depth issue another one pops up. Hopefully over the next 2 cycles we can start retaining talent at every position and starting building some upper classmen depth.

Man, if Jordan is healthy he will start day one. He is that good. Mallory easily takes the #2 spot. HE is that good. They will thrive in this O if one of the QBs can hit them.

DT is a C+ because we haven't seen any of those guys play much plus we have a numbers problem. I get how Nesta keeps the grade up but at the end of the day he is just 1 true freshman.

That's dumb...so nearly every position group would be a C. Not one QB has played. None of the OL apart from Vaughn and some of Gaynor, none of the TEs, just one RB. This is a dumb statement.

Advertisement
Most of ya'll are ing about the DB's but that is not the area of concern. We've got 5 - 4* DB's and a high ceiling 3* DB this year alone.

DL is the area of concern. Gotta be waaaay more proactive in 2019. Luckily there's a huge supply of DL prospects in 2019.

Outstanding 2 classes given our production on the field the last five years. Honestly the recruiting is punching above our weight.

This would be entirely accurate.

Some on here do not care to realize the mess Richt inherited. And that we did, after all, lose our last 3 games.

We were losing battles under Golden to Louisville, G Tech, West Virginia. Now its to Bama, UGA?

Steps in the right direction.

I've done this post a couple times before, and I still find it's useful to look at classes from a two-year perspective when examining hits, misses, and needs for the future. You can find the one I did last year here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes-recruiting/116987 if somebody wants to look at a THREE-year haul lol.

Anyway here's the 2018 version -

QB - Perry, Weldon, Williams - Grade - A

Perry is our QB of the future...unless Williams is. Both have tremendous upside and have more raw talent than any QB we've had on the roster in a very long time. Really can't argue with the results here as Richt got his QB each of the last two years. Let's get 1 more in 2019.

RB - Dallas, Burns, Lingard, Davis - Grade A

The development of Travis Homer as a legitimate #1 RB and the emergence of Deejay Dallas as a real backfield threat were pleasant surprises in 2017. Lingard is a top-5 RB nationally and has been the Ambassador for this class since Day 1. I love Davis' game. Burns is who we thought he was so far but I love our stable going forward. I'd like us to take 1 RB in 2019.

WR - Njoku, Harley, Thomas, Pope, Hightower, Wiggins, Ezzard - Grade - A+

An embarrassment of riches here. I mean, somebody show me a better 2-year haul I dare you. Really nothing more to say here. Killer job by Dugans and Co. I can see us only taking 2-3 WRs next year if they're the "right" 2-3.

TE - Polendy, Jordan, Mallory - Grade - A

I wanted us to land 2 TEs in 2018 and boy howdy did we nail it. Jordan and Mallory are arguably the two best TEs in the nation. I'd like us to get 1-2 more next year.

OL - Donaldson, Herbert, Gaynor, Dykstra, Hillery, Scaife, Campbell, Reed - Grade - A

Another outstanding 2-year group here. Donaldson is a man-child, and I'm really high on Herbert and Gaynor especially (even with some early growing pains.) Scaife can play with anybody in the country and Reed is nasty at OG. I'd like another 3-4 OL for 2019 because, always.

DE - Johnson, Garvin, Rousseau, Joyner - Grade - C+

This is a tough one. With DJ gone we have a real depth problem all of a sudden at DE. I do really like Rousseau.
Garvin of course is a beast but we need numbers. Look for 3-4 DE in 2019

DT - Ford, Odenigbo (transfer), Silvera, Miller - Grade - B

Nesta alone keeps this group in the B range at minimum IMO - he's that important to the 2-year grade at this position. I know Kul loves Jon Ford and I'm excited to see what happens with him going forward. Miller is underrated - anyone who's seen his film will tell you (@Hurricane Vision). The early departure of Norton and McIntosh made this position a real need sadly, and we did "well" here, if not elite-ly (not a word.) Odenigbo is at best a wait-and-see rental. Let's try and get 2-3 DTs in 2019.

LB - Jennings, Wilder, Steed, Joyner- Grade - C

We took 1 LB in Joyner this year. think that was a mistake. I hope we pursue at least 3 in 2019.

CB - Bandy, Dean, Blades, Bethel, Ivey - Grade - B-

I was really tempted to grade this group lower based solely on who we "missed" on the last two years, but you can't argue that guys like Bandy, Ivey, and Blades aren't talented. Yes, we need to start pulling in those blue-chippers here like we have been at WR, but this group on its own is pretty darn good. We still need 3-4 more CBs in 2019. Again.

S - Carter, Smith, Frierson, Hall - Grade - A-

I love, LOVE Frierson and Hall. Frierson might start at CB but I think he will make big money as a FS. Smith really started to come on as a box safety last year and I still love Carter as a headhunter. I see us taking another safety or 2 next year as well.

Overall Two-Year Class Grade - A-

Our DB recruiting has been more than disappointing based on who we DIDN'T sign, but this is a really, really good couple of classes. I still don't know that they're "playoff" level classes but man they're pretty darn close. The offensive recruiting has been nothing short of brilliant the last two years, esp. at the skill positions. We need more elite-level numbers at DL and CB to make me feel comfortable that we're truly on the path. As such, my personal list of needs for 2019 is almost entirely on the defensive side of the ball:

1) DE
2) LB
3) CB
4) DT
5) OL (just because)

Great post @ghost2 what people to realize is we should win 10 again next year and be a lot more competitive in the ACCCG

Advertisement
I have no idea how you can grade two 4* QBs and a 3* QB and call that an A. So, what do you call Georgia's QB recruiting over the past two seasons where they are landing two 5* QBs? Clemsons with another two 5* QBs, one of which is the highest rated recruit in the 247 database all-time? Alabamas with a kid that just won them a national title and was considered one of the best prospects ever at an Elite11 camp? C'mon, Good Brother ghost...be real right now. Miami does not get an A for their QB recruiting.

I've touched upon Miami's OL recruiting in another thread. Its not even in the same league as other top teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. How you, too, could give that an A...I have no idea. Its a bunch of 3* kids and a few 4*. Its just not up to snuff. I like a few of the kids, too, but its just not.

Giving us a B for DT recruiting is some homerism. Again, discussed in another thread about a month ago, its not even comparable to elite teams around the country. Its down right poor in comparison. Nesta is the only player that keeps it from an outright F grade and even with Nesta, its struggling to put together a passing grade considering the importance of the position.

Linebacker is just a bunch of 3* kids. They are not elite, but I would give a C, as well. We are in deep trouble once our starters leave without some dramatic coaching here.

If you're not happy with the QB recruiting, there's no hope for you.

UGA is actually in pretty dicey shape at QB. They only have 2 scholarship QBs on the roster. That's no ideal.

And youre essentially arguing most of our grades should be C's and D's, for a class that ranked 12 in 2017 and 7 in 2018. That's just delusional

I have no idea how you can grade two 4* QBs and a 3* QB and call that an A. So, what do you call Georgia's QB recruiting over the past two seasons where they are landing two 5* QBs? Clemsons with another two 5* QBs, one of which is the highest rated recruit in the 247 database all-time? Alabamas with a kid that just won them a national title and was considered one of the best prospects ever at an Elite11 camp? C'mon, Good Brother ghost...be real right now. Miami does not get an A for their QB recruiting.

I've touched upon Miami's OL recruiting in another thread. Its not even in the same league as other top teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. How you, too, could give that an A...I have no idea. Its a bunch of 3* kids and a few 4*. Its just not up to snuff. I like a few of the kids, too, but its just not.

Giving us a B for DT recruiting is some homerism. Again, discussed in another thread about a month ago, its not even comparable to elite teams around the country. Its down right poor in comparison. Nesta is the only player that keeps it from an outright F grade and even with Nesta, its struggling to put together a passing grade considering the importance of the position.

Linebacker is just a bunch of 3* kids. They are not elite, but I would give a C, as well. We are in deep trouble once our starters leave without some dramatic coaching here.

If you're not happy with the QB recruiting, there's no hope for you.

UGA is actually in pretty dicey shape at QB. They only have 2 scholarship QBs on the roster. That's no ideal.

And youre essentially arguing most of our grades should be C's and D's, for a class that ranked 12 in 2017 and 7 in 2018. That's just delusional

Being happy and saying its a flawless grade are two different things.

Georgia has two 5* quarterbacks. There is nothing dicey about that. Theyll find someone/thing to fill in as a third stringer.

And, I'm not quite saying Cs and Ds. I think RB is an A, WR is an A, TE is an A. QB I'd give a B- to. OL I'd give a C, DE I'd give a C, DT I'd give a D-, LB I'd give a C, CB I'd give a B, S I'd give a B+.

I've done this post a couple times before, and I still find it's useful to look at classes from a two-year perspective when examining hits, misses, and needs for the future. You can find the one I did last year here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes-recruiting/116987 if somebody wants to look at a THREE-year haul lol.

Anyway here's the 2018 version -

QB - Perry, Weldon, Williams - Grade - A

Perry is our QB of the future...unless Williams is. Both have tremendous upside and have more raw talent than any QB we've had on the roster in a very long time. Really can't argue with the results here as Richt got his QB each of the last two years. Let's get 1 more in 2019.

RB - Dallas, Burns, Lingard, Davis - Grade A

The development of Travis Homer as a legitimate #1 RB and the emergence of Deejay Dallas as a real backfield threat were pleasant surprises in 2017. Lingard is a top-5 RB nationally and has been the Ambassador for this class since Day 1. I love Davis' game. Burns is who we thought he was so far but I love our stable going forward. I'd like us to take 1 RB in 2019.

WR - Njoku, Harley, Thomas, Pope, Hightower, Wiggins, Ezzard - Grade - A+

An embarrassment of riches here. I mean, somebody show me a better 2-year haul I dare you. Really nothing more to say here. Killer job by Dugans and Co. I can see us only taking 2-3 WRs next year if they're the "right" 2-3.

TE - Polendy, Jordan, Mallory - Grade - A

I wanted us to land 2 TEs in 2018 and boy howdy did we nail it. Jordan and Mallory are arguably the two best TEs in the nation. I'd like us to get 1-2 more next year.

OL - Donaldson, Herbert, Gaynor, Dykstra, Hillery, Scaife, Campbell, Reed - Grade - A

Another outstanding 2-year group here. Donaldson is a man-child, and I'm really high on Herbert and Gaynor especially (even with some early growing pains.) Scaife can play with anybody in the country and Reed is nasty at OG. I'd like another 3-4 OL for 2019 because, always.

DE - Johnson, Garvin, Rousseau, Joyner - Grade - C+

This is a tough one. With DJ gone we have a real depth problem all of a sudden at DE. I do really like Rousseau.
Garvin of course is a beast but we need numbers. Look for 3-4 DE in 2019

DT - Ford, Odenigbo (transfer), Silvera, Miller - Grade - B

Nesta alone keeps this group in the B range at minimum IMO - he's that important to the 2-year grade at this position. I know Kul loves Jon Ford and I'm excited to see what happens with him going forward. Miller is underrated - anyone who's seen his film will tell you (@Hurricane Vision). The early departure of Norton and McIntosh made this position a real need sadly, and we did "well" here, if not elite-ly (not a word.) Odenigbo is at best a wait-and-see rental. Let's try and get 2-3 DTs in 2019.

LB - Jennings, Wilder, Steed, Joyner- Grade - C

We took 1 LB in Joyner this year. think that was a mistake. I hope we pursue at least 3 in 2019.

CB - Bandy, Dean, Blades, Bethel, Ivey - Grade - B-

I was really tempted to grade this group lower based solely on who we "missed" on the last two years, but you can't argue that guys like Bandy, Ivey, and Blades aren't talented. Yes, we need to start pulling in those blue-chippers here like we have been at WR, but this group on its own is pretty darn good. We still need 3-4 more CBs in 2019. Again.

S - Carter, Smith, Frierson, Hall - Grade - A-

I love, LOVE Frierson and Hall. Frierson might start at CB but I think he will make big money as a FS. Smith really started to come on as a box safety last year and I still love Carter as a headhunter. I see us taking another safety or 2 next year as well.

Overall Two-Year Class Grade - A-

Our DB recruiting has been more than disappointing based on who we DIDN'T sign, but this is a really, really good couple of classes. I still don't know that they're "playoff" level classes but man they're pretty darn close. The offensive recruiting has been nothing short of brilliant the last two years, esp. at the skill positions. We need more elite-level numbers at DL and CB to make me feel comfortable that we're truly on the path. As such, my personal list of needs for 2019 is almost entirely on the defensive side of the ball:

1) DE
2) LB
3) CB
4) DT
5) OL (just because)

Offense has killed it. It's all on the defense for the 2019 class. The one key I took away from the Diaz interview along with others is, the 2019 class is loaded at DL and LB. I believe this was a very down year at both positions in Florida. DB’s grow in trees so hopefully as Richt stayed, we are one more class away from fielding championship level 85 man rosters. Offense needs to score 35pts a game going forward!

Good post Ghost. I laugh at all the people screaming for more C's and D's.

There are about 4-6 schools across the country with star power depth at every position. Those are A+ schools with A+ recruiting classes over the last couple years. Clemson Ohio State Bama Georgia are locks. Maybe LSU, Auburn and USC. Two of those schools have had coaching issues holding them back.

So we're not quite there yet. Does that mean we deserve F's at the DL/DB spots? **** no. There's a lot of star power at the top with some holes on the back end. Overall the offensive classes the past two years are a sure fire A and the defense is probably a B.

In case many of you posters haven't noticed, we just had our first 10 win season in a billion years. We are on the right trajectory. Every class under Richt has gotten better. Why can't he keep getting better?

Advertisement
MIAMI is getting the player's we need to make this team elite!! At the end of the day, Cane Fans have to understand THESE RECRUITS that left Miami, didn't want to be here so we don't want to them here..

Year 1-- 9 Win season Recruiting "Swag17"-- Espn #12 class, 247 #12, Rivals #11

Year 2-- 10 Win season Recruiting "Storm18"-- Espn #7, 247 #8, Rivals #6

NOW I understand that both classes Miami could've had more talent BUT our staff tried and the RECRUITS picked to go else, there is no way as TRUE HURRICANE FANS, we can't say our staff isn't working and fighting to get this program back at the top where Miami belongs.. And from the looks of things Miami is bringing in top level talent!! Miami won't get all the studs from the area, that is something some fans will have to deal with.. It will be the same **** next year and the next year's after, it's time for fans to understand the way **** works in Miami..

Per 247.
The numbers the last 2 years:
School/5*/4*/ Points (min 500)
1. OSU 8/34 629.2
2. UGA 10/32 -624.91
3. Bama 8/30 -607.54
4. USC 6/25 -588.3
5. FSU 4/24 -558.3
6. OU 1/30 -546.76
7. LSU 2/26 -542.04
8. MIA 1/24 -529.54
9. MICH 2/26 -526.59
10. PSU 3/25 -526.39
11. CLEM 7/15 522.88
12. ND 0/24 520.18
13. AU 1/26 520.1
14. TEX 2/24 -517.85
15. uF 0/23 -510.81

If I were to grade other teams on the last 2 years based on these results:
A+: UGA, Bama, OSU, Clemson
A: FSU, PSU, USC
A-: OU, LSU, MIA, MICH, Auburn, Texas

I was going to comment on the A- being a little optimistic, but no more than 7 teams have been clearly better than we have been over the last 2 years. Our average rank is 10th. that's about where we belong.

That being said, we need our defensive class in '19 to be as good as the offensive class we just signed.

Last edited:
Coaches do 2 year breakdowns. It's essentially how they recruit, and they tweak from there. But it's almost always 2 year windows by position. Good recap, this is the intelligent conversation that Hurricane message boards sorely lack.

Advertisement
Joyner isn't a de and the grades for de and dt are way too high. Just look at depth chart , lacking quality and quantity.

We have so many depth issues on defense that our 2019 class is going to need to look like the following:

DE: 3 (losing D Jackson to graduation and probably Joe Jackson to the NFL (someone who has a legit case of leaving early))
DT: 2-3 (losing Willis and the Illinois GT)
LB: 3 (this is the unit that could be getting hit hard after next year. Lose Smith, McCray and I'd have to imagine that one of Shaq or Pinckney leaves early)
CB: 3 (lose Dean and lost Malek to career ending injury)
S: 2 (lose Jaquan Johnson and Redwine to graduation)

Our DT recruiting deserves an "F."

We gained Nesta but lost DJ Johnson, so that's a wash.

We lost Norton and McIntosh and did not replace them with equal talent.

That's moving backwards. That's not getting it done.

What? Miami has recruited the OL better than Clemson the past 2 years.

Clemson has signed 1 five, 1 four, 3 three’s last 2 years. 5 total

Miami has signed 5 four stars with 3 three stars last 2 years.

Correction should be made on the ambassador, he is a top 15 national player and a program changer.

Advertisement
Back