TVD first pass of the game

I said TVD cannot read defenses last year, because Smith would be open A LOT and not get looked at. We just threw deep passes to the other side.. HOWEVER, it’s on GATTIS to build an offense around what TVD can and CANNOT do!!! Instead of putting him into this $hitty offense where he has to overthink!!! This offense just says **** the vertical passing game (what TVD did best last year) we just gonna dink and donk! TVD ain’t who people thought but Gattis is worse! Only uses one side of the field (which makes sense if TVD limited) however, he doesn’t have a decoy on the other side AT ALL and doesn’t attempt a pass beyond 15 yards! Recipe for disaster! That means we only use about a 30 yard window horizontally we throw into smh! When it’s on the short side it’s even smaller! Hence the interception on the short side while running two WR’s outside the hash doing outs against press coverage on timing routes where the QB just does his drop and throws it to the spot! Scheme is horrible!!!! This is your first passing play of the game!? You’re expecting them to play back when you have shown NO deep passes all season!! When every other team on the schedule so far has played up and dared you to throw deep and you have not even tried to unless it’s a play action enos trick play smh. This play call was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in a while!
1664099707859.jpeg

I know that no matter what I say I wont change people's minds but I really really think theres more to this than Gattis having a bad offense or bad play-calling. I am not absolving Gattis for our lack of offensive production at all because at the end of the day hes the head guy on that side of the ball, but this play should've worked.

Im no OC guru or football genius, but I'll break it down as I see it. (bare with my picture quality, first time uploading images)

IMG_5508.jpg

We lined up in Shotgun Tight, not my favorite formation, however definitely a beneficial one in a run heavy scheme as you can get some run blocking help from receivers on the second and third levels when matching up against zone defense in particular.

IMG_5509.jpg

Now insert NCAA '14.... My favorite game ever. Know every play like the back of my hand. This is the exact play Gattis ran. The fact that its in an 8 year old game means that its not some "bad play" Gattis drew up. This play works. Stick concepts work. The stick man either gets hit on the comeback, or settles into a soft spot in the zone, its not hard AT ALL. We ran the play better than this actually because we had our RB on a delayed comeback route out of the backfield after his blocking assignment. This is a BABY play. You run this play when your QB needs a quick completion to get going. Its simple. So I guess the question is where did we go wrong.

In my non-offensive coordinator opinion, the play was doomed to fail when TVD predetermined he was going to Mallory before the snap. That shows me he doesn't understand the concept of this play (not blaming him, coaches need to teach this). NO MATTER WHAT, you can not lock in pre-play to a target on the short side of the field in this concept. The short side of the field will never allow the receiver running to the flats to create enough separation from the receiver running the comeback. If you go short side, it will simply be too crowded with defenders, as we saw with the INT.

IMG_5507.jpg

If TVD pre-snap locks in on Arroyo, the closer receiver toward the far boundary, he gets a better view of the space on the field. Ladson is open here for an at least 4 yard completion and easy start to this game. The CONCEPT works. Based on how they were playing their zone, Redding would have gotten open at the top of the screen in the flat as well, the only issue there is that he has nowhere to run to as the boundary is there so theres no throw to be made.

Long story short, the play works and its not a bad call. What was bad was either TVD deciding to lock in on Mallory, or him not being coached to understand you cant lock on to the short side of the field on that play.

Advertisement
I know that no matter what I say I wont change people's minds but I really really think theres more to this than Gattis having a bad offense or bad play-calling. I am not absolving Gattis for our lack of offensive production at all because at the end of the day hes the head guy on that side of the ball, but this play should've worked.

Im no OC guru or football genius, but I'll break it down as I see it. (bare with my picture quality, first time uploading images)

View attachment 209556
We lined up in Shotgun Tight, not my favorite formation, however definitely a beneficial one in a run heavy scheme as you can get some run blocking help from receivers on the second and third levels when matching up against zone defense in particular.

View attachment 209557
Now insert NCAA '14.... My favorite game ever. Know every play like the back of my hand. This is the exact play Gattis ran. The fact that its in an 8 year old game means that its not some "bad play" Gattis drew up. This play works. Stick concepts work. The stick man either gets hit on the comeback, or settles into a soft spot in the zone, its not hard AT ALL. We ran the play better than this actually because we had our RB on a delayed comeback route out of the backfield after his blocking assignment. This is a BABY play. You run this play when your QB needs a quick completion to get going. Its simple. So I guess the question is where did we go wrong.

In my non-offensive coordinator opinion, the play was doomed to fail when TVD predetermined he was going to Mallory before the snap. That shows me he doesn't understand the concept of this play (not blaming him, coaches need to teach this). NO MATTER WHAT, you can not lock in pre-play to a target on the short side of the field in this concept. The short side of the field will never allow the receiver running to the flats to create enough separation from the receiver running the comeback. If you go short side, it will simply be too crowded with defenders, as we saw with the INT.

View attachment 209558

If TVD pre-snap locks in on Arroyo, the closer receiver toward the far boundary, he gets a better view of the space on the field. Ladson is open here for an at least 4 yard completion and easy start to this game. The CONCEPT works. Based on how they were playing their zone, Redding would have gotten open at the top of the screen in the flat as well, the only issue there is that he has nowhere to run to as the boundary is there so theres no throw to be made.

Long story short, the play works and its not a bad call. What was bad was either TVD deciding to lock in on Mallory, or him not being coached to understand you cant lock on to the short side of the field on that play.
Play call is bad. This a play you save for goal line offense when the field is condensed.

Look at all the green grass and space. Use it. You are making the defenses job easy.

This is a terrible call

Play call is bad. This a play you save for goal line offense when the field is condensed.

Look at all the green grass and space. Use it. You are making the defenses job easy.

This is a terrible call
I mean, I guess thats an opinion. No one calls this a bad play if he hits Ladson for the wide open 4 yards on the first play of the game though.

EDIT: Also this would be a TERRIBLE call at the goal line as the zone defenders have less space to guard so theres less of an area for your stick man to settle in to, safeties' zones are closer up and can bracket your stick man. This is a great play when theres loads of space as the safeties are removed from the play and youre forcing the far side LB and CB to make decisions quickly

Last edited:
I don’t understand why TVD isn’t going to Ladson here? He throws to Mallory and that was 2 on 2 in a tight space. Why?

I don’t like this as the first play of the game, but what is he reading here? Mallory was the worst option of the 4 eligibles.

I don’t understand why TVD isn’t going to Ladson here? He throws to Mallory and that was 2 on 2 in a tight space. Why?

I don’t like this as the first play of the game, but what is he reading here? Mallory was the worst option of the 4 eligibles.
Right, it makes no sense. Though if he hits Ladson in that space I think its a great 1st play of the game as its a quick and easy completion to gain your QB confidence after a tough week last week. He just literally chose THE worst option.

Advertisement
Mallory ran a terrible route and fell down for no reason other than being goofy. This game is on the entire team, staff included, but if I had to name one player who contributed the most to us losing it would be Mallory. Wish he would have left.
Join the Mallory Hate club...Im the President!!!
Dude is a curse....
I was at the game and this fool runs a half yard route...and we were at the 1yd line...
Just a total calamity of a player

Players run bad or wrong routes in the 3rd year in a system. Remember we’re talking about 18-22 year old kids running a new offense. My problem is he won’t play Skinner who is better than all of them.
The play skinner made in his second or third catch of his career was better than anything I’ve seen Mallory so since that Louisville catch and run

View attachment 209556

View attachment 209557

View attachment 209558

Yeah on that play, it’s bang bang! So you chose one side and throw there. Why it’s a bad call is you look to the short side instead of the wide side as the pre-snap read. The short side is crowded already smh. Especially since you have not made any deep passes this year and the corner is already pressing up! Everyone is going to press us because we do not attempt enough passes longer than 15 yards. Call is good if you have been killing them deep and they are playing 10 yards off.

Advertisement
Right, it makes no sense. Though if he hits Ladson in that space I think its a great 1st play of the game as its a quick and easy completion to gain your QB confidence after a tough week last week. He just literally chose THE worst option.
Pretty clear he determined where he was going pre snap. I don’t understand that play call there but Mallory was the worst option.

2 things can be true. I can be an odd call on play 1 of the game and also a poor decision by the QB.

So im watching the Bills/Dolphins game and the Dolphins just ran this concept for a first down. Announcer called it an easy play and great drive starter, as the poster above with the screenshots showed us.

Yeah on that play, it’s bang bang! So you chose one side and throw there. Why it’s a bad call is you look to the short side instead of the wide side as the pre-snap read. The short side is crowded already smh. Especially since you have not made any deep passes this year and the corner is already pressing up! Everyone is going to press us because we do not attempt enough passes longer than 15 yards. Call is good if you have been killing them deep and they are playing 10 yards off.
Pretty clear he determined where he was going pre snap. I don’t understand that play call there but Mallory was the worst option.

2 things can be true. I can be an odd call on play 1 of the game and also a poor decision by the QB.
If we threw the ball to open guys for 4 yard completions (with the chance for the WR to break a tackle in space), the first 3 plays of the game, I think we would be sitting here saying it was a good start to the game to give TVD confidence. The play is open. Ladson is right there, clear as day open. In the formation screenshot, the corner playing Ladson's flat is 5 yards off him. You can see Ladson is the decision pre-play. We cant judge the play call based off the result and TVD locking in on Mallory. When Gattis called it, it was fine, when TVD blew it, it became bad.

So im watching the Bills/Dolphins game and the Dolphins just ran this concept for a first down. Announcer called it an easy play and great drive starter, as the poster above with the screenshots showed us.
Seen that as well, I felt vindicated 😂. Pretty much everyone runs that stick concept, because as I'll keep reiterating, its EASY. Not sure why people are calling a wide open 4 yard pass on the first play a "bad" play but realistically youre not always running Go routes off rip.

Advertisement
Last comment I'll make about whether it was a "bad" play call or not. We ran the EXACT same concept off a play action in the Tight Slots (TE jumbo package) on 3rd and 1 from our own 38 yard line (3rd quarter 7:02 to play). Jake makes the right read, hits Mallory bottom of the screen in the flat wide open and Mallory is able to run 20 more yards on the play.

No one is in here calling that a bad play call. Most dont even remember it. It cant only be a bad play call when the QB fails to execute.

While I would love to stretch the field vertically often, we cant sit here and call wide open guys right in front of the QB "bad" plays.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 2.25.55 PM.png

(blame the ACCN for the terrible pic quality this time)

View attachment 209556

View attachment 209557

View attachment 209558

Ofc it could have work, but there are so many better plays he could have called in that position to take advantage of all the green space. Also your qb has been predetermining his throws, which can workout sometimes, staring down his WRs, and missing his reads. Why don’t you scheme a few plays that will make it real easy for him to get in a rhythm?

Advertisement
Ofc it could have work, but there are so many better plays he could have called in that position to take advantage of all the green space. Also your qb has been predetermining his throws, which can workout sometimes, staring down his WRs, and missing his reads. Why don’t you scheme a few plays that will make it real easy for him to get in a rhythm?
That’s the thing, this SHOULD have been the easy play to get him in rhythm. How much easier could that throw to Ladson really be? As you can see in the screenshots, Ladson is the most open guy PRE & POST snap. TVD just never looks that way. That’s not on the play call.

People keep saying “use the open space” but there looks like plenty of open space around Ladson and if he breaks that CBs tackle there’s even MORE open space.

That’s the thing, this SHOULD have been the easy play to get him in rhythm. How much easier could that throw to Ladson really be? As you can see in the screenshots, Ladson is the most open guy PRE & POST snap. TVD just never looks that way. That’s not on the play call.

People keep saying “use the open space” but there looks like plenty of open space around Ladson and if he breaks that CBs tackle there’s even MORE open space.
That throw is definitely not as easy as you think. First of all he needs to go through his reads the first place he looked at was the short side of the field, I said above that TVD is having trouble going through his progressions, and this was a clear example. Now let’s say he goes through his reads and looks Ladson’s way, by the time he winds up and throw it the CB would have definitely made some ground by then, and it’s a far throw across the field. So it’s not as easy play as you make it seem, unless he immediately looks Ladson’s way, which neither of us know if that wats he suppose to do. Again, there are way better plays that could have been called.

That throw is definitely not as easy as you think. First of all he needs to go through his reads the first place he looked at was the short side of the field, I said above that TVD is having trouble going through his progressions, and this was a clear example. Now let’s say he goes through his reads and looks Ladson’s way, by the time he winds up and throw it the CB would have definitely made some ground by then, and it’s a far throw across the field. So it’s not as easy play as you make it seem, unless he immediately looks Ladson’s way, which neither of us know if that wats he suppose to do. Again, there are way better plays that could have been called.
That’s why Pre and Post snap reads of a play are so important. You’re right, neither of us know who he was intended to target on the play, but as I originally wrote, short side of the field being the main target pre-snap would be dumb. Whoever had Mallory as the first option, whether TVD or Gattis was in the wrong.

But you’re never gonna convince me the physical throw to Ladson there would be hard. Not for our heisman hopeful.

If we threw the ball to open guys for 4 yard completions (with the chance for the WR to break a tackle in space), the first 3 plays of the game, I think we would be sitting here saying it was a good start to the game to give TVD confidence. The play is open. Ladson is right there, clear as day open. In the formation screenshot, the corner playing Ladson's flat is 5 yards off him. You can see Ladson is the decision pre-play. We cant judge the play call based off the result and TVD locking in on Mallory. When Gattis called it, it was fine, when TVD blew it, it became bad.
You don’t know what the pre play read was! But If it was Ladson he would have gotten the pass. He was not the read pre-play. That’s on the coaches. They don’t let TVD audible himself based on what he sees. Gattis is in the **** box and should have seen that 😖

Advertisement
Back