TVD first pass of the game

KingB02

Sophomore
I said TVD cannot read defenses last year, because Smith would be open A LOT and not get looked at. We just threw deep passes to the other side.. HOWEVER, it’s on GATTIS to build an offense around what TVD can and CANNOT do!!! Instead of putting him into this $hitty offense where he has to overthink!!! This offense just says **** the vertical passing game (what TVD did best last year) we just gonna dink and donk! TVD ain’t who people thought but Gattis is worse! Only uses one side of the field (which makes sense if TVD limited) however, he doesn’t have a decoy on the other side AT ALL and doesn’t attempt a pass beyond 15 yards! Recipe for disaster! That means we only use about a 30 yard window horizontally we throw into smh! When it’s on the short side it’s even smaller! Hence the interception on the short side while running two WR’s outside the hash doing outs against press coverage on timing routes where the QB just does his drop and throws it to the spot! Scheme is horrible!!!! This is your first passing play of the game!? You’re expecting them to play back when you have shown NO deep passes all season!! When every other team on the schedule so far has played up and dared you to throw deep and you have not even tried to unless it’s a play action enos trick play smh. This play call was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in a while!
1664099707859.jpeg

Advertisement
I was very negative on him staring guys down and poor mechanics last year. Garcia missed quite a few as well with poor reads but at least wants to push it down field (often too aggressively even) DESPISED the Gattis hire and disliked the ponce hire. Mario needs to GTFO with his ancient offenses and evolve and tvd will portal out

Advertisement
Advertisement
omg it's possible, but that to me would be an even greater indictment on Gattis as it is the 4th game of the season
Players run bad or wrong routes in the 3rd year in a system. Remember we’re talking about 18-22 year old kids running a new offense. My problem is he won’t play Skinner who is better than all of them.

Are u seriously saying a receiver on any given play can’t run a wrong route. Happens all the time.
When did I say this? I said It’s more likely that was the call and it was a horrible one because it’s the second play of the game. Their body language did not say it was a wrong route. They ran the same mirror concept on the other side, so there’s that. Logic

Players run bad or wrong routes in the 3rd year in a system. Remember we’re talking about 18-22 year old kids running a new offense. My problem is he won’t play Skinner who is better than all of them.
Then play him. But yes I agree with you. Wr's run wrong routes........ But on the second play of the game? The play you probably know is being called for like 2 days? You get up to the line and forget where you are suppose to go?????????????????????????

There was a play where tvd hit Redding for a would be 1st and he dropped it, so that was the story. It was a great throw and Redding was open But on replay there was another receivers (maybe Mallory) right in that area. Just ****** route designs

Advertisement
Then play him. But yes I agree with you. Wr's run wrong routes........ But on the second play of the game? The play you probably know is being called for like 2 days? You get up to the line and forget where you are suppose to go?????????????????????????
When did I say this? I said It’s more likely that was the call and it was a horrible one because it’s the second play of the game. Their body language did not say it was a wrong route. They ran the same mirror concept on the other side, so there’s that. Logic

Caneadian said:

Not sure why you edited my post but again, they had a mirror concept on the opposite side and the back ran a route to the middle of the field, so there’s no other route any of the receivers would have ran (in this offense) that wouldn’t have caused more bad spacing unless one of them had a go route (and we know Gattis isn’t calling those, let’s be honest). Logic says that’s the route that was called. You don’t have to be a genius to see that! 🤦🏾‍♂️

Caneadian said:

Not sure why you edited my post but again, they had a mirror concept on the opposite side and the back ran a route to the middle of the field, so there’s no other route any of the receivers would have ran (in this offense) that wouldn’t have caused more bad spacing unless one of them had a go route (and we know Gattis isn’t calling those, let’s be honest). Logic says that’s the route that was called. You don’t have to be a genius to see that! 🤦🏾‍♂️
Sorry did I edit your post??? I'm sorry, I thought I was editing mine? I was very confused. My bad

I would never edit a post that I was in 100% agreement in, frankly I didn't think it was possible for someone else to edit another posters post.

Advertisement
Mallory ran a terrible route and fell down for no reason other than being goofy. This game is on the entire team, staff included, but if I had to name one player who contributed the most to us losing it would be Mallory. Wish he would have left.

I said TVD cannot read defenses last year, because Smith would be open A LOT and not get looked at. We just threw deep passes to the other side.. HOWEVER, it’s on GATTIS to build an offense around what TVD can and CANNOT do!!! Instead of putting him into this $hitty offense where he has to overthink!!! This offense just says **** the vertical passing game (what TVD did best last year) we just gonna dink and donk! TVD ain’t who people thought but Gattis is worse! Only uses one side of the field (which makes sense if TVD limited) however, he doesn’t have a decoy on the other side AT ALL and doesn’t attempt a pass beyond 15 yards! Recipe for disaster! That means we only use about a 30 yard window horizontally we throw into smh! When it’s on the short side it’s even smaller! Hence the interception on the short side while running two WR’s outside the hash doing outs against press coverage on timing routes where the QB just does his drop and throws it to the spot! Scheme is horrible!!!! This is your first passing play of the game!? You’re expecting them to play back when you have shown NO deep passes all season!! When every other team on the schedule so far has played up and dared you to throw deep and you have not even tried to unless it’s a play action enos trick play smh. This play call was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in a while!
1664099707859.jpeg

They were bunched up like they were on the goal line there. Options on both sides, you can even see one barely in the bottom of the picture. They were supposed to flood out into space in both directions.

I don't like the play call at all. You're once again bringing everyone on the defense in together and essentially helping their cause. The correct throw there is to Redding on the timing route to the sideline. If it was designed to go to Mallory, it makes a poor design even worse for obvious reasons.

I get a play like that if it's rare. Catch defenders not knowing who to cover as you peel guys off the edge. You've gotta attack different space though, not run essentially the same route at the same depth.

We did that same formation basically on the Arroyo and Mallory route when we were stopped on 4th down. Both peeled out, Arroyo with the corner route and Mallory breaking off into the flat. Usually we run there, but one defender went with Arroyo and nobody covered Mallory. Problem was, Jake didn't have time to sell it because he now had a DE and LB'er in his face. Their player broke off Arroyo and made an outstanding touchdown saving tackle, really a badass play on his part. It was designed well and typically one of those TE's make contact and release, but neither did on that play. Did they make a mistake or was the play fatally flawed, possibly MTSU just made a play at the line by forcing the throw.

Back to your point, even when the play could work, you've got guys in small space and bad things can happen. You're putting in all this work for minimal gains. Most times the play can only go one way. We're screwed man, simple as that if this continues.

Both QBs look to be making predetermined throws. It’s the only explanation I can think of. Garcia missed a lot of guys. SO DID TVD. I say missed but it’s more like never saw because he never looked. A miss would be seeing and passing up the opportunity. These guys could at least pretend to look at someone they never intend throwing to and then going to the pre determined options at this point.

Advertisement
Back