TVD finally getting love in a 2023 mock draft

Kaayas lack of pocket awareness was an issue but his biggest issue was how inconsistent he was at keeping offensive drives alive and getting the ball in the end zone. His last season was his best season… he threw the ball 427 times and finished with 27 TDs. Compare to TVD who played in 3 less games (10) last year threw the ball 324 times for 25 TDs. The production isn’t there for Kaaya just a consistent play it safe above average QB and those type of QBs aren’t in the NFL.

Kaaya also had sloppy footwork. It drove me mad how many times I saw him float backward in a pocket and throw without any momentum or torque. Because of that, they missed on a lot of YAC/completions. He never had his feet set and alway looked so antsy out there. Even during his great year. I thought another year of coaching would help him in those aspects, but seems like he was limited there and could never grow.

Advertisement
Someone else pointed out Bard Kaaya being projected as a top 10 pick and we all know how that worked out. Made me think though about what happened with Bard. Statistically he had his best year in 2016 under Richt. One would think that would bolstered his draft status but he dropped like a rock. He could make all the throws, but I think everyone saw that he was completely immobile and didn't have particularly good pocket awareness. So far TVD has shown that he can also make all the throws and he can move around. I can't make a judgment on his pocket awareness though, maybe others have an opinion on that.

In fairness; Kaaya was thought to take the next step in his Jr yr. Kaaya did not start off well under Richt, & he dropped considerably.

1st 8 games:
1984 yrds (248 yrds/game)
62.6%
13 TDs
6 ints

Last 5 games:
1266 yrds (309.6 yards/game)
61.6%
14 TDs
1int

Unfortunately, Richt’s “secret playbook” was holding Kaaya’s production back. His last 5 games were far better than his first 8 games, & his stock dropped. His stock was dropping by FSU, & fell in the toilet after UNC.

Kaaya also had sloppy footwork. It drove me mad how many times I saw him float backward in a pocket and throw without any momentum or torque. Because of that, they missed on a lot of YAC/completions. He never had his feet set and alway looked so antsy out there. Even during his great year. I thought another year of coaching would help him in those aspects, but seems like he was limited there and could never grow.

That happens when u have pocket PTSD. Go back & watch his freshman & sophomore yrs. He got murdered.

Advertisement
The antsy feet I get, but when there's no rush in your face? I need to go back and rewatch to figure out when, but the reason I noticed this is because he did that in a clean pocket.

He had two left feet. That phrase is said and while it's typically in jest, he literally did. He would sack himself at times and it was frustrating as ****. Moving, he was quite possibly the most awkward QB I've ever watched at the collegiate level. Atrocious footwork, that was his downfall.

All due respect to NFL scouts and there’s kinds of mock drafts, anyone who can’t see TVD being a high round draft pick (1-3) in next year’s draft barring injury this season, should not have that job.
He is tall, is athletic enough, has a very good arm, and can throw with touch. These are just NFL traits and so pretty much makes him a round 1-3 pick. Now the difference between round 3 and higher is how well he continues to develop. Keep the INT numbers low, lead your teams to a 9 win or better season with at least one win against a really good opponent, and keep showing off your athleticism and now we are talking rounds 1-2.

Advertisement
A lot of people have him leaving but I just don’t see it. I think that if TVD had a perfect year and even won the Heisman, he wouldn’t leave for the draft if he sees a possible run at the conference championship and possibly playoffs on the horizon. That’s just how he’s built.
$20-30 million guaranteed money for a 1st round pick has a way of changing the plan.

A lot of people have him leaving but I just don’t see it. I think that if TVD had a perfect year and even won the Heisman, he wouldn’t leave for the draft if he sees a possible run at the conference championship and possibly playoffs on the horizon. That’s just how he’s built.
Lol how many guys in the modern era have won the heisman and returned for another year afterwards?

It would be stupid to win the heisman and come back for another year. I don’t think TVD is stupid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Injuries or no injuries to Miami receivers will play a lot into the season for TVD. And he needs to keep from getting hurt himself. If X goes down it will be harder for TVD. Hoping somebody else, Key maybe, can show out as well. Also Brinson could step up.

How people viewed this draft a year ago.

Good point, but he did pick 8-9 of the first round picks.

It's been a long time since players regularly did stuff like that. In an era of skipping bowl games, I think it's unlikely he comes back unless he gets injured or has a disappointing year.

Advertisement
Back