TVD as an "IMPACT PLAYER" in 2022

Go watch the Pitt game from last year and watch TVD go toe to toe with a first round pick in Pickett. When I watch those highlights TVD has a better arm IMO.
Tyler is a better prospect at the end of the day than Pickett. But he's nowhere near a finished prospect. Also Pickett was simply the beneficiary of a ALL TIME HORRIBLE QB CLASS. To compare Tyler to him is setting the bar AWFULLY low. Also acc defenses aren't exactly powerhouses. Just let the kid learn and develop. That's all.

Advertisement
What if Miami has a 2000 type year and TVD does decide to come back, does Garcia waive the white flag?

You're looking at it the wrong way and it's not fair to Tyler. Tyler isn't the one telling the fanbase to put this on him. He's gone about the game the same way since day 1 that he does now. He still has tons of room to grow. BUT he's starting off the season with a good base. He has TONS of upside and his mental approach to the game is top notch. He has plenty of room to grow AND BE KNOWS THAT. But the whole hype thing is simply something that fans are doing because they want something out of him. What I'd say is simply come in with an open mind that he will put us in a great position to win games. Whether that's because he's carrying us or because he's not harming us well just have to see. Yet again I'd tell y'all GET BACK TO BEING FANS & SIMPLY ENJOY THE GAME. If y'all just enjoy the process it'll be an amazing season as it's a whole new day to be a cane...

Fair points. Definitely not TVD’s fault that he is being hyped like this. Mario calling him the best QB in the league got many of the media’s attention and raised standards to the fan base. Pressure busts pipes but I think TVD will be okay. I am just not sold he is will be this 1st round QB pick like many here project. Hopefully, he is.

It will be interesting to see how he handles this new offense without his favorite WR from last season who did bail him out many times.

Fair points. Definitely not TVD’s fault that he is being hyped like this. Mario calling him the best QB in the league got many of the media’s attention and raised standards to the fan base. Pressure busts pipes but I think TVD will be okay. I am just not sold he is will be this 1st round QB pick like many here project. Hopefully, he is.

It will be interesting to see how he handles this new offense without his favorite WR from last season who did bail him out many times.
Nah. That's not what did it. Before Mario even got here the fanbase was already saying Heisman this etc. But from Mario's perspective what else do you want him to say? It's all about hyping the university to recruits right now. If you can't fall back on the results of this team than you gotta do something to get major interest. You got insane talent down here this year. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. They need to here we got a Heisman QB best in the nation that is potentially going to be throwing you the ball. What better way do you sell the recruits than that.

Advertisement
You're looking at it the wrong way and it's not fair to Tyler. Tyler isn't the one telling the fanbase to put this on him. He's gone about the game the same way since day 1 that he does now. He still has tons of room to grow. BUT he's starting off the season with a good base. He has TONS of upside and his mental approach to the game is top notch. He has plenty of room to grow AND BE KNOWS THAT. But the whole hype thing is simply something that fans are doing because they want something out of him. What I'd say is simply come in with an open mind that he will put us in a great position to win games. Whether that's because he's carrying us or because he's not harming us well just have to see. Yet again I'd tell y'all GET BACK TO BEING FANS & SIMPLY ENJOY THE GAME. If y'all just enjoy the process it'll be an amazing season as it's a whole new day to be a cane...
That last part is a great perspective. The way it should be. it would be something to see the biggest bunch of control freaks who are overly critical and want to analyze down to the most excruciating detail, just sit back and realize that they can just let go and enjoy themselves. When we win the Natty again, some of these guy won’t know how to handle it.

Tyler is a better prospect at the end of the day than Pickett. But he's nowhere near a finished prospect. Also Pickett was simply the beneficiary of a ALL TIME HORRIBLE QB CLASS. To compare Tyler to him is setting the bar AWFULLY low. Also acc defenses aren't exactly powerhouses. Just let the kid learn and develop. That's all.
Good points!

Last edited:
I think his Ypc will dip because I don’t expect as many deep shots. But I do think he’ll have a chance at a higher completion percentage because of simpler / shorter throws. The te’s and rb’s should have a bigger impact in this offense. I also expect the running game to be dramatically better which will open the play action game and the middle of the field. It’ll be different.
I expect Skinner, based on comments from Spring Practice, to have a breakout freshman year, and the TE group as a whole, to have more completions this season than any season in recent memory. Hopefully the Gattis approach to scripting run plays will be productive, and Citizen could be another major surprise both in rushing and pass catching. WR is the biggest ?? as to who will step up to replace Rambo and Harley. Right now the only real positive pass catching comments have been Skinner and the possibility of using him on the outside as a WR.

Here’s a hypothetical ?; let’s say TVD has a Kaaya type of Jr yr, one that shows good stats, but in spurts vs. consistency: Does he come back for another yr, in u all’s opinions, or does he leave regardless?
Depends how the other top QBs look. If he projects first round I’d bet he’s gone.

Advertisement
I think his Ypc will dip because I don’t expect as many deep shots. But I do think he’ll have a chance at a higher completion percentage because of simpler / shorter throws. The te’s and rb’s should have a bigger impact in this offense. I also expect the running game to be dramatically better which will open the play action game and the middle of the field. It’ll be different.

I actually think Gattis uses the short to set up the long, which we will still go to significantly IMO. Gattis' Michigan offense was something like #2 in the country in explosive plays over 50 yards and TVD's strength is the deep ball. I don't think Gattis is stubborn and I'll bet he relishes forcing a defense to cover the LOS and the deep quarters. Yeah, we don't have Rambo, which is why the deep shots will need more set up than last year. Lord, we really need a WR1 to emerge up this fall.

I just got this weird gut feeling if we show real progress and he thinks we can make a serious run, he comes back

But that’s just my opinion

Turns down $20M-$30M as a 5th to 12th pick in the first round over four years to come back? Not to mention an extra year of earnings?

GIF by Zack Kantor

If he isn't projected in the first round, maybe. But I think all NFL discussion here should be predicted on him having the type of year that warrants the jump.

Turns down $20M-$30M as a 5th to 12th pick in the first round over four years to come back? Not to mention an extra year of earnings?

GIF by Zack Kantor

If he isn't projected in the first round, maybe. But I think all NFL discussion here should be predicted on him having the type of year that warrants the jump.
I’m with you

I’m as big a TVD fan as you’ll find but I guess I’m just a bit hesitant still with this whole Heisman #1 stuff

He was incredible last year, but he’s not going to surprise anyone this year. Lots of changes on offense.

But also I fully agree if he just keeps living up to his potential he’s a potential NFL superstar for sure. Just personally not sure if that’s after this season, or it will possibly take one more

I actually think Gattis uses the short to set up the long, which we will still go to significantly IMO. Gattis' Michigan offense was something like #2 in the country in explosive plays over 50 yards and TVD's strength is the deep ball. I don't think Gattis is stubborn and I'll bet he relishes forcing a defense to cover the LOS and the deep quarters. Yeah, we don't have Rambo, which is why the deep shots will need more set up than last year. Lord, we really need a WR1 to emerge up this fall.
Did the explosive plays happen in the air or yac? I say that because explosive plays doesn’t necessarily mean it was a deep ball.

I was told to to not expect as many deep shots as last year under RL. Rb and te’s will be used alot more.

Advertisement
Its RPO season.

I
I’m with you

I’m as big a TVD fan as you’ll find but I guess I’m just a bit hesitant still with this whole Heisman #1 stuff

He was incredible last year, but he’s not going to surprise anyone this year. Lots of changes on offense.

But also I fully agree if he just keeps living up to his potential he’s a potential NFL superstar for sure. Just personally not sure if that’s after this season, or it will possibly take one more
believe the changes on offense will be beneficial to TVD's overall performance:

1. Better OL blocking schemes and technique.
2. More effective running plays scripted and executed ... not the limited Lashlee up the gut with the RB on his own.
3. A legit run game that will give TVD some options and will also keep the opposing D busy covering watching the
run as well as the pass ... check down or over the top.

The "new offense" seems to have been pretty well absorbed by TVD and his comments regarding it showed both a degree of maturity at QB and a pretty solid understanding of football offense overall ("yeah there are some new terms being used and some different OL blocking schemes and run schemes, but at the end of the day it's football and there are a lot of similarities". That comment was pretty early on in Spring Practice and to me it shows that he DID spend a lot of time buried in that play book, a lot of time looking at film with Gattis (Michigan film). Don't really care about the "Heisman" stuff ... care more about TVD and his comfort level with the new OL blocking, the TE's and RB's catching out of the backfield. Then you have to hope a #1 WR steps up to grab the opportunity.

Advertisement
I

believe the changes on offense will be beneficial to TVD's overall performance:

1. Better OL blocking schemes and technique.
2. More effective running plays scripted and executed ... not the limited Lashlee up the gut with the RB on his own.
3. A legit run game that will give TVD some options and will also keep the opposing D busy covering watching the
run as well as the pass ... check down or over the top.

The "new offense" seems to have been pretty well absorbed by TVD and his comments regarding it showed both a degree of maturity at QB and a pretty solid understanding of football offense overall ("yeah there are some new terms being used and some different OL blocking schemes and run schemes, but at the end of the day it's football and there are a lot of similarities". That comment was pretty early on in Spring Practice and to me it shows that he DID spend a lot of time buried in that play book, a lot of time looking at film with Gattis (Michigan film). Don't really care about the "Heisman" stuff ... care more about TVD and his comfort level with the new OL blocking, the TE's and RB's catching out of the backfield. Then you have to hope a #1 WR steps up to grab the opportunity.
Yeah I’ve said tons of times (earlier in this thread) that Gattis is a good thing for TVD

It’s just gonna take some time I think. Losing Rambo hurts. Teams are scheming knowing TVD is elite. I just don’t think this season being a Heisman favorite is as much of a lock as others think. Easy to forget he’s played less than one season

though I think by the time he’s done with what would be his Junior or senior years he’s going to be as good as anyone. Just not sure if that will happen in the pros or here (likely the pros)

Did the explosive plays happen in the air or yac? I say that because explosive plays doesn’t necessarily mean it was a deep ball.

I was told to to not expect as many deep shots as last year under RL. Rb and te’s will be used alot more.

Combo from what I saw. Actually includes big runs too. But he had really mediocre WR's and QB. I guess the big question is does he lean in on having a special QB like TVD? I say yes.

But of course, there are only so many offensive plays a game, we will have less of them than last year because the clock will run more, and added runs and TE's plays will take away from WR. I just think we will still go deep in proportion to how many throws we take.

Advertisement
Back