Turning down free money as an 18 year old football player

Advertisement
You'd be a fool to turn down some of the $ being thrown around now. 10k?? Even if SMU's dirty days 10k didn't get you in the door. Think about it, before Cam Newton was the Cam Newton we know today, he was a JUCO QB who was thrown off the UF team and couldn't beat out a glorified FB playing QB. And auburn gave him 200k.

Some of these kids come from nothing. If a school offered me and my family ANY opportunity to get out of the hood and into a better life, even temporarily, I'd take it. Especially if they also had some kind of protection (like it seems SEC schools have) and even if caught, nothing would happen.

Brilliant logic. That same logic is why 75% of the players go broke. And guess what? 15k isn't **** and neither is 200k over a lifetime.

You'd be a fool to turn down some of the $ being thrown around now. 10k?? Even if SMU's dirty days 10k didn't get you in the door. Think about it, before Cam Newton was the Cam Newton we know today, he was a JUCO QB who was thrown off the UF team and couldn't beat out a glorified FB playing QB. And auburn gave him 200k.

Some of these kids come from nothing. If a school offered me and my family ANY opportunity to get out of the hood and into a better life, even temporarily, I'd take it. Especially if they also had some kind of protection (like it seems SEC schools have) and even if caught, nothing would happen.

Brilliant logic. That same logic is why 75% of the players go broke. And guess what? 15k isn't **** and neither is 200k over a lifetime.

And the opportunity to get your family out of the good is BS. The first thing all these kids do is go by 20k watch and 3 cars. That ain't the same thing as a 529 college savings plan for yor kids and a 401k

Advertisement

And the opportunity to get your family out of the good is BS. The first thing all these kids do is go by 20k watch and 3 cars. That ain't the same thing as a 529 college savings plan for yor kids and a 401k

Yea wht the *** would you do with money at 17 years old..GTFOH with that sht....

Yea wht the *** would you do with money at 17 years old..GTFOH with that sht....

Are you guys retarded? Yes there obviously is a risk but do you think the players getting paid care? Miss St had transcripts of phone calls from Cam and his dad talking about how they NEEDED to be paid this time around (they implied that they signed with UF for free cause they didn't know everyone else was being paid). And he still got off!

AJ McCarron, DJ Fluker and a bunch of BAMA players freely drove around in pimped out cars and not one peep. Manziel was caught taking $ for autographs in a hotel. He missed 1 half of a blowout. There doesn't seem to be a 'risk' in a specific conference.

You guys are acting like the risk is banishment from football. Its not! Also, you talking about teenagers deciding on which college to go to. Don't know about you, but when I was 17, things like the 'party scene' factored into my decision.

As a grown *** man, I have the sense to look at that situation and see something is up and keep my distance. But if I were 17, I'd look at that and say 'where's mine'... Now, for arguments sake, say I grew up with nothing, I'd definitely see nothing wrong with taking $. Especially if it seemed like others were getting away with it.

Are you guys retarded? Yes there obviously is a risk but do you think the players getting paid care? Miss St had transcripts of phone calls from Cam and his dad talking about how they NEEDED to be paid this time around (they implied that they signed with UF for free cause they didn't know everyone else was being paid). And he still got off!

AJ McCarron, DJ Fluker and a bunch of BAMA players freely drove around in pimped out cars and not one peep. Manziel was caught taking $ for autographs in a hotel. He missed 1 half of a blowout. There doesn't seem to be a 'risk' in a specific conference.

You guys are acting like the risk is banishment from football. Its not! Also, you talking about teenagers deciding on which college to go to. Don't know about you, but when I was 17, things like the 'party scene' factored into my decision.

As a grown *** man, I have the sense to look at that situation and see something is up and keep my distance. But if I were 17, I'd look at that and say 'where's mine'... Now, for arguments sake, say I grew up with nothing, I'd definitely see nothing wrong with taking $. Especially if it seemed like others were getting away with it.

Not playing at least 3 years in college can and will derail a players career. So taking money and getting suspended by the NcAA can feel like football banishment.

Maurice Clarett
Mike Williams
Never made it to the league

Terrell Pryor
Honey Badger
Ray Ray armtrong

All had trouble with the ncaa/ team suspension. They are in the league but they lost millions of dollars.

Advertisement
I always thought long term about the college I went to. If you're going to shape your future on getting $10k then I don't know what to tell you. Would you got stay in a **** hole and crappy school in Arkansas if they offered you $15K? Or go to a school like Stanford or Vanderbilt, or Miami where the surrounding area isn't a **** hole and your degree is worth more then the paper it was printed on. But some people don't think long term and only think short term.

I'd go to the school that gives me the best opportunity to make it into the NFL.

So that could be depth chart, coaching, legacy. They'd all come into play.

I'm not sure I'd take the money, but I'd enjoy the **** out of the official visits!

Not playing at least 3 years in college can and will derail a players career. So taking money and getting suspended by the NcAA can feel like football banishment.

Maurice Clarett
Mike Williams
Never made it to the league

Terrell Pryor
Honey Badger
Ray Ray armtrong

All had trouble with the ncaa/ team suspension. They are in the league but they lost millions of dollars.

Mike Williams and Mo Clarett tried to challenge the 3 years rule and got burned. I'm not sure what that has to do with what we are talking about.

Ray Ray and Terrell played in the ACC and Big 10. I truly believe the NCAA treats matters differently when SEC schools are involved (I gave examples of this earlier).

The Honey Badger failed multiple drug tests. I have no idea what that has no do with what we are talking about. I have a hard time believing that LSU paid him as his only other offer was from Tulane.

This argument is better suited for the WEZ than here but some of you looking your nose down at some of these kids need to get ahold of yourself. I look at situations like the Patrick Johnson/Peterson saga and, as much as I wanted to see him in green and orange, he did what was best for his family. I cant knock that. Even if the $ is spent of nonsense, why not benefit from your hard work? The entire system is a complete sham set up to increase profit at every turn.

I got more than 15k for my Bar Mitzvah and those savings bonds my grandpa bought me are still rotting away in a savings account and I am 34.

Kids make bad decisions. We are all in agreement. Most kids don't truly understand the value of a dollar at age 17. But we aren't talking about the kids. We are talking about the rationale for taking the money (i assume you are an adult?). My statement is that is not enough money to risk your eligibility and if a kid does take the money, then he will most likely waste it on stupid **** anyways so back to point number...why take the risk. Also, most of the money being tossed around is not directly to the players or their families. It goes to shady middle men who take most of it for themselves.

The day i see a kid's family move form the Pork and Beans to Boca Raton iinstead of rolling up to the Hood in their escalade, is the day I start agreeing with you.

Last edited:
not even think twice about taking the money.

The NCAA is one of the last forms of slavery still in the US. These players make billions for the Universities and TV, and are told they can't make a penny off their name? Bull****. I look at every time someone gets paid and think, good for that ****. I hate Johnny Manzel, but applaud his pointing out the BS of the system and money side of it.

Advertisement

I got more than 15k for my Bar Mitzvah and those savings bonds my grandpa bought me are still rotting away in a savings account and I am 34.

Kids make bad decisions. We are all in agreement. Most kids don't truly understand the value of a dollar at age 17. But we aren't talking about the kids. We are talking about the rationale for taking the money (i assume you are an adult?). My statement is that is not enough money to risk your eligibility and if a kid does take the money, then he will most likely waste it on stupid **** anyways so back to point number...why take the risk. Also, most of the money being tossed around is not directly to the players or their families. It goes to shady middle men who take most of it for themselves.

The day i see a kid's family move form the Pork and Beans to Boca Raton instead of rolling up to the Hood in their escalade, is the day I start agreeing with you.

Cmon mane.. Name an athlete who has lost their eligibility for taking money? None that i can remember.. Dez Bryant was suspennded for lying and Ohio State for taking tattoo's. Im pretty sure the odds are around 99.9% chance youll get away wit it. Id take my chances.

Advertisement
How much is your personal integrity worth?

LAFF. What? You think these kids care about that sh*t? They dont even look at it as an "integrity" issue. Poor kids being offered big money. No brainer. LMAO Integrity.

How much is your personal integrity worth?

LAFF. What? You think these kids care about that sh*t? They dont even look at it as an "integrity" issue. Poor kids being offered big money. No brainer. LMAO Integrity.

I agree and this is why most will stay poor, even if they make it to the NFL. This is why so many go broke, because they have no moral compass.

The day i see a kid's family move form the Pork and Beans to Boca Raton instead of rolling up to the Hood in their escalade, is the day I start agreeing with you.

Cmon mane.. Name an athlete who has lost their eligibility for taking money? None that i can remember.. Dez Bryant was suspennded for lying and Ohio State for taking tattoo's. Im pretty sure the odds are around 99.9% chance youll get away wit it. Id take my chances.

fair enough. But don't hide behind some BS like your are going to move your family to beverly Hills. If you said, "I would take the money and buy a new car, 3 watches and 3 days in the champagne room at Scarlett's." I would not only understand you, i would ask if I could join.

Advertisement
Back