Turning down free money as an 18 year old football player

blackvern

All-ACC
Banned
How many of you would really turn down free money from a great college u like to go to another college that u may happen to like more.

How many of you all would do this at 18?

I don't know numbers but. Let's say even if it was only $10k-$20k ..at 18 that's a lot of money would u do it?

Because this is what has to happen if u guys want your dream class

Advertisement
Advertisement
You might take the money, but do you let it shape your college choice?

i said it over and over again.

no school, including Miami, is 100% innocent of "not paying" recruits.

I'll leave it at that.

Advertisement
I always thought long term about the college I went to. If you're going to shape your future on getting $10k then I don't know what to tell you. Would you got stay in a **** hole and crappy school in Arkansas if they offered you $15K? Or go to a school like Stanford or Vanderbilt, or Miami where the surrounding area isn't a **** hole and your degree is worth more then the paper it was printed on. But some people don't think long term and only think short term.

i said it over and over again.

no school, including Miami, is 100% innocent of "not paying" recruits.

I'll leave it at that.

I get that. But Cook would be stunting in a new car as many times as he's been paid. Clemson, UF, FSU.

Advertisement
You'd be a fool to turn down some of the $ being thrown around now. 10k?? Even if SMU's dirty days 10k didn't get you in the door. Think about it, before Cam Newton was the Cam Newton we know today, he was a JUCO QB who was thrown off the UF team and couldn't beat out a glorified FB playing QB. And auburn gave him 200k.

Some of these kids come from nothing. If a school offered me and my family ANY opportunity to get out of the hood and into a better life, even temporarily, I'd take it. Especially if they also had some kind of protection (like it seems SEC schools have) and even if caught, nothing would happen.

If I can stunt like him

102.jpg

Then **** Yea!

Does anyone really believe that cash gets handed over before the LOI is signed?

Advertisement
For me it all comes down to how they are raised. Like others said, nothing in life is free. Also, for me personally, there is so much more personal satisfaction in the money earned is sweeter than money won type of thinking. You would think uber-competitive football players think similarly.

Yep. Worked with a guy that went to Juco in Miss and would get "visits" from Miss St all the time. Ended up going to UCF despite taking upwards of $8000. Coaches were ****ed, but like Chris Page said "what are they gonna do report it"?

Yep. Worked with a guy that went to Juco in Miss and would get "visits" from Miss St all the time. Ended up going to UCF despite taking upwards of $8000. Coaches were ****ed, but like Chris Page said "what are they gonna do report it"?

Small payments to grease the wheels, sure. But I'd wager that anyone getting the big cash would have to wait until they sign that dotted line before getting paid. No way the schools or boosters would be that stupid.

How many of you would really turn down free money from a great college u like to go to another college that u may happen to like more.

How many of you all would do this at 18?

I don't know numbers but. Let's say even if it was only $10k-$20k ..at 18 that's a lot of money would u do it?

Because this is what has to happen if u guys want your dream class

if you are a highly recruited player and are not living by yourself, people around you most of the time will make sure you don't fall in to a situation and for 10-20k risk your career and miss out on millions.

nothing lasts forever and sooner or later another school will be under NCAA scope for something like this and you don't want to be that 5 star player looking at ineligibility and losing your draft stock.

Lets put it this way, yes some kids get extra benefits (some cash here, small stuff), few get big chunks of cash but those you can spot from a mile away and are always in towns that live and die football.

Advertisement
Back