Trying to understand offensive schemes…

Advertisement
Honest question for better football minds than mine… @Memnon @JayCane20 @LuCane @Cribby and others.

Why can’t we look at UW, Texas, Oregons schemes and apply them to Miami. I’d argue they are physical at the line of scrimmage, good running teams with explosive elements and good TE use. Why can’t we just take those schemes and apply them to our personnel and offense?

Thanks in advance… an aspiring OC
Im not name brand lol, but will add it has to be a holistic thing, from top down, a complete philosophical approach. With youtube/internet EVERY single coaches presser is available, during week I listen to different guys, some dont give anything or coach speak (our guy) some are much more open (Fins coach).. Have heard coaches say you cant just take a play without taking something out, or you need a complete concept/scheme that goes with it, the guys at Kansas literally say they go to KC to steal plays and they implemented things the dolphins do the next week (but they look at their offense like a lab and have said so) Kiffin said he took dolphins short motion stuff and put in asap but he is open about "steal plays/concepts"

Our head guy is not thought of as a creative/crafty/clever playcaller or anything like that (thats neither good or bad), every coach isnt good at everything, his strentgh is talent acquisition to just try to overwhelm opponent with better bigger stronger players. He openly talks about large athletic bodies. He wants to line up and run straight up the middle, obviously he wants a balanced passing game but ideally he wants a strong front and to lean and protect them. On goalline he will call time out to get all olineman in game and run straight in pile. We know this, he will sit on ball before halftime with multiple timeouts and he will keep tryna pound a team even if the game is won because he wants to keep grinding.

Its just a complete different philisofical approach, just have to hope we load up with soo much talent we are not in death matches with the GT/UVA of the world at home.. You have to understand when you watch these teams, they are practicing these things since spring til now in conference championships, you saw on UW goalline, they are shifting/motioning on dam near every play, with limited to no presnap penalty, its second nature, no timeout needed on goalline to get right play. Dolphins offense is #1 in NFL today and they arent limited on practice like NFL and McDaniels openly talks about how much work they need to work on those presnap quick motions and the difference it works in Hard Rock compared to on the road.. Also the most I learned about our O and tendencies is from opponents breaking down our O.

Anyway this is funny because of panthers owner kinda doing the same thing

Lol @ "Mike Leach, CIS Legend..."

But Texas has a better coach. Recruiting is important but granted are won on gameday by gameday coaches.

Texas has a better coach now that he finally put it together in year three. That's how it usually works around here.

Advertisement
Also I know miami football is still stuck in regards to offensive football but NO ONE considers "air raid" cutting edge, it has been around for 20+ years now.. The game has changed loooooong time ago, EVERYONE runs "spread".. Defenses have caught up and "spread gurus" knew it would happen (Gus Mahlzan even said so in his spread book) Some of the benefits of spread was that it was unique and defensive coaches seeing it only a couple times a year, when your whole conference runs it you can devote more practice time and talent resources to stopping it.

You should watch some mid '00 highlights and see how simple zone read plays were being ran for 500+ yard offenses.. You have to keep adapting and evolving because DCs jobs are on the line and they will figure it out eventually which they did..

Every single OC/Playcaller for the teams on this list are absolutely better tacticians than anyone Miami has on campus.

As someone already alluded, it's not necessarily the scheme. The issue is more so why we call the plays we call, when we call them, and why are we using that specific personnel on that specific play.

Did you peep Sarkisians first 2 drives? It doesn't get much easier for a QB and an Oline. It was a clinic in settling in your QB and feeling the flow of the game. That's not apart of scheme you can teach bro. We could swap playbooks with any of those schools but if we're gonna run on 3rd &6, down 2 scores, with 7 minutes left in the game, were gonna do that no matter what scheme.v

I think you're question should be, can we adopt the philosophy and mindset of those coaches
But why not just steal the best plays? It’s like sitting next to the smartest kid in class…

Advertisement
It's not mutually exclusive. You need a bit of both. I've never seen a recruiter so great he can overcome gameday ineptitude.

And you've also never seen a great coach win championships without having a championship caliber roster. Yet we continue to hear that if we would just run a more creative offense we would be back.

And you've also never seen a great coach win championships without having a championship caliber roster. Yet we continue to hear that if we would just run a more creative offense we would be back.
We've had enough talent for sometime. People talk about coaching so much because they see that talent wasted year after year.

Advertisement
As alluded… we don’t counter to team’s adjustments to what we do very well.

So it’s not much that our scheme is bad but more of… we do this, they show us that and we don’t then do something to counter what they’ve shown either fast enough or at all. IMO
and you know what counter acts that? Not running on every 1st and 10. I don't even call plays for the team I coach. Every Monday we divide the team up into two teams and have a competition Monday. One coach calls a run every first down and gets stuffed every drive. The defensive playcaller says I know hes going to run every first down and sells out everytime. Either the first or second drive I always call a pass. Either Im in second and long or I bust them for a long play or touchdown. Why? cause nobody in our league or our team does that. I'm not saying you should do this every drive but you should have somethings to throw the other team off but if it doesn't work guess what. I get the same result if I had ran on first down and they stuff the **** outta the play! Sometimes we make this game of football too simple and sometimes we make this game of football too complex. Just play and adjust as the game goes on

We've had enough talent for sometime. People talk about coaching so much because they see that talent wasted year after year.
Enough talent?????

Yikes. That continues to be the most drastic chasm between the two sides on this board. We’re just now getting to the point of having talent in both lines.

Enough talent?????

Yikes. That continues to be the most drastic chasm between the two sides on this board. We’re just now getting to the point of having talent in both lines.
I guess we have to know how one defines having talent. Is it by recruiting rankings? Is it by draft picks etc?

Advertisement
Enough talent?????

Yeah the OL has improved. I'm not taking that away from Mario.

I think they made the great defensive call cause they said if a receiver/tight end goes in motion Miami is running to that side, because we ran it to that side everytime except for that reverse to brashard against Louisville that went for a touchdown.

You're right about the QB making a big difference, but I think we also need to do a much better job building and countering off of successful plays. UDub does an amazing job of this.

To be clear I really like this play but it got blown up here and late against Louisville (couldn't find the play on the highlight) cause the defense gambled correctly that we wouldn't counter off it. Would have loved to see us build off this formation/play by just once faking to the running back then turning X up field where the defense was expecting him to block
Whatever your go to play is you have to have 3-4 counter plays off of it. You got to make defenses believe them or their lying eyes.

But why not just steal the best plays? It’s like sitting next to the smartest kid in class…
They only look like the "best plays" because of the sequence they're being called in. The defenses are thinking more than playing because they don't know what's coming.

All the plays end up looking like good plays when a defense is thinking. This is why it's imperative that a coach understands the tendencies of their opponents in situational football.

A playbook is only as good as the person calling the plays on gameday. 2 cats from the same coaching tree with the same playbook could have two totally different outcomes.
denzel washington checkers GIF

If there was an RPO there, it would’ve scored…

To clarify, the reason he scores with a backside RPO/screen design is that the majority of the FSU defense was walled off on the run side.

The natural tendency for a defense that is playing essentially Cover 0 is to keep ONE guy deep over a stack in case the screen break out.

You don’t have to block to occupy the defender. You can do that with play design and motion.

Advertisement
Back