Trying to understand offensive schemes…

Is it? It’s just a really good call. Sometimes the defense wins. It was blocked perfectly, you never account for a backside safety on this design. They sent him and he ran it down from the backside. IMO this really doesn’t explain anything in relation to the OP.

I have a pretty simple answer, though. Penix, Nix, and Ewers are light-years better than an injured Tyler Van Dyke.
I think they made the great defensive call cause they said if a receiver/tight end goes in motion Miami is running to that side, because we ran it to that side everytime except for that reverse to brashard against Louisville that went for a touchdown.

You're right about the QB making a big difference, but I think we also need to do a much better job building and countering off of successful plays. UDub does an amazing job of this.

To be clear I really like this play but it got blown up here and late against Louisville (couldn't find the play on the highlight) cause the defense gambled correctly that we wouldn't counter off it. Would have loved to see us build off this formation/play by just once faking to the running back then turning X up field where the defense was expecting him to block

Advertisement
Advertisement
My two issues outside of TVDs turnovers were personnel usage and lack of variety in the run game. We had some awesome sweeps, counters, and end around a that worked throughout the season yet we barely ran them. We are boring af in the run game and we don’t have to be

Advertisement
2 things they have we don’t

Oregon - nix
UW - penix
Texas - ewers

Our line may be as good as those teams

Also WR. watching last night and today we dont have an AD Mitchell x worthy Rome Odunze McMillan caliber guys. Oregon idk maybe

Is it? It’s just a really good call. Sometimes the defense wins. It was blocked perfectly, you never account for a backside safety on this design. They sent him and he ran it down from the backside. IMO this really doesn’t explain anything in relation to the OP.

I have a pretty simple answer, though. Penix, Nix, and Ewers are light-years better than an injured Tyler Van Dyke.
Agreed. I don't think they knew that play was coming. We've run like a dozen different plays out of that formation.

Advertisement
I’d also say it helps when you have a QB who actually knows how to scan the field and read a defense. Nix and Penix both do a great job as veterans who have seen everything in making the right throws. Our QBs for 20 years have all tried to force a play or not seen the whole field. Recruit intelligent QBs capable of reading defenses.

I have been surprised with in volume of condensed sets across cfb. I have no data to back this up, but I would say it has increased by the spread guys
Washington and Texas have used them a heap, but it is the personnel they are deploying from these sets, very few jumbo packages, and the creativity in the play calls and route combinations that is the difference,

If we line up condensed we are running, although we did see more TE motion to wham block that converted a Bluff in the PA game.

Either way, we are similar but not the same and that difference, is big in production

Advertisement
Really appreciate the thoughtful responses in this post and the funny ones lmao. A qb who can tuck it and run for a first down should help this offense a lot. Ie the fsu gif where the safety sells out for the rb.could have been a huge chunk play

Agreed. Texas isn't running some kind of new-age air raid stuff out there. They have a great line which results in a great running game and a lot of time for a really smart QB to find his receiver.

O-Line + smart QB = a lot of wins

Are u actually watching the game or nah? Texas 1000% run a different concept than us, and if I had the time to actually break it down frame by frame, I would; but I’ll give u all a clue:

Our TE room on the season combined for 17 rec. 141 yrds 1 TD. Sanders, this game alone, has 8 rec. 101 yards and 1 TD.

On the season, by himself he has 31 rec. 500+ yards. Texas manipulates the field w/ the TEs and RBs. We play in a box, bro. We either smash our RBs, WR screens, or cross patterns. We don’t manipulate the defense, nor do we build on concepts. .

Are u actually watching the game or nah? Texas 1000% run a different concept than us, and if I had the time to actually break it down frame by frame, I would; but I’ll give u all a clue:

Our TE room on the season combined for 17 rec. 141 yrds 1 TD. Sanders, this game alone, has 8 rec. 101 yards and 1 TD.

On the season, by himself he has 31 rec. 500+ yards. Texas manipulates the field w/ the TEs and RBs. We play in a box, bro. We either smash our RBs, WR screens, or cross patterns. We don’t manipulate the defense, nor do we build on concepts. .

I've watched every play. They dominated because they have better players. Not because their plays are out of the year 2090.

Cool, they used the tight end. That isn't cutting edge. Mike Leach, CIS Legend, didn't have tight ends on his roster.

I've watched every play. They dominated because they have better players. Not because their plays are out of the year 2090.

Cool, they used the tight end. That isn't cutting edge. Mike Leach, CIS Legend, didn't have tight ends on his roster.
Lol @ "Mike Leach, CIS Legend..."

But Texas has a better coach. Recruiting is important but granted are won on gameday by gameday coaches.

Advertisement
Back