Trevor Darling video from the opening

That is fair. I just dont think he is quick enough to handle D1 speed pass rushers. His first step doesnt seem like the fastest. Lets rememeber that BWashington went toe to toe against Daquan Bowers at the Under Armor practice at tackle so he was no slouch in HS at that tackle spot. But when he went to UM he struggled at times when asked to handle speed rushers his junior year. Didnt have that first step that is needed. Bunche had the same problem last year. I just want to start putting guys in spots where they can dominate as opposed to just being really good. He could dominate at G.

Advertisement
That is fair. I just dont think he is quick enough to handle D1 speed pass rushers. His first step doesnt seem like the fastest. Lets rememeber that BWashington went toe to toe against Daquan Bowers at the Under Armor practice at tackle so he was no slouch in HS at that tackle spot. But when he went to UM he struggled at times when asked to handle speed rushers his junior year. Didnt have that first step that is needed. Bunche had the same problem last year. I just want to start putting guys in spots where they can dominate as opposed to just being really good. He could dominate at G.

I agree with you 100%. That is why is said leave him at his dominating spot. Brandon Washington and Malcolm Bunche came here and bounced from position to position. Darling has been playing RT for the last 6 years. You cant get him to take a rep on the left side if you wanted to. I think the same thing would happen if put him at G. His learning curve would get steeper. KC is actually the one who had a harder time with speed rushers. Mike Smith and Chad Thomas had a field day against him at Miami NTFC. To his credit he did a lot better at the Rivals camp.

BWash and Feliciano were both asked to play Tackle because we flat out sucked at recruiting the position. As bad as they were at times, I honestly believe the coaches when they say they felt they were the best at the time.

Fortunately we have been recruiting not only stud OL prospects, but versatile ones. We shouldn't run into that problem again any time soon.

Advertisement
Back