Trevonte Citizen injury considered serious [Sep 23 - *may* return this year]

I'm an MRI tech too (32 years) and you're absolutely right. I've scanned high school kids an hour after injury and you can see an ACL tear easily. I don't know where this wait until the swelling goes down stuff comes from. I know that they do it, but it's not because they can't see an ACL tear. It's by far the easiest knee injury to see on an MRI

The "wait until swelling goes down" is what they do before surgery on the torn ligament

Advertisement
I'm an MRI tech too (32 years) and you're absolutely right. I've scanned high school kids an hour after injury and you can see an ACL tear easily. I don't know where this wait until the swelling goes down stuff comes from. I know that they do it, but it's not because they can't see an ACL tear. It's by far the easiest knee injury to see on an MRI

thank you, will edit by earlier comment to include your authority. brb

I'm an MRI tech and and even with a swollen knee you can see all the ligaments, within two minutes of a MRI scan you can determine if the ligament is torn or not. If he's gotten an MRI already they definitely know if his ACL is torn or still intact
This is good info thank you!

Now I can go around telling people I’m an X-ray tech too and copy/paste this

Advertisement
Advertisement
And another thing, I've never, not once, had a doc tell me he thinks it's an ACL tear after manual manipulation and him be wrong when I scanned it.

Correct. Achilles too. They obviously always do the scans but you know 4 seconds after the injury whether or not you have a torn ACL or Achilles.

Advertisement
And another thing, I've never, not once, had a doc tell me he thinks it's an ACL tear after manual manipulation and him be wrong when I scanned it.

I have but I would say it is the exception.

Lachman test displayed a loose knee (slippage when pulling forward). Doctor said it might be ACL. MRI was partial PCL tear.

The "wait until swelling goes down" is what they do before surgery on the torn ligament
Definitely true. Your range of motion after surgery will be messed up if you get surgery on a swollen knee.

But if your knee swells up real bad after injury, a doctor might not be able to do physical tests on the knee. Had that happen. I also had my knee so swollen I couldn't get the MRI because I could not keep my leg straight for 30 minutes.

He's almost assuredly had the MRI done and wants to break the news on his own timetable. But we (most of us) aren't dense. Seems implausible we wouldn't already know something if it was good news.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back